The Student Room Group

my flatmates don't take coronavirus seriously and it stresses me out

i live in halls with a few other people none of them take coronavirus seriously. it stresses me out because i still don't want to catch the virus, what should i do? is there anyone else who feels like this? honestly makes me want to go home
Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are in a situation that is giving you anxiety.

If you are on good terms with your flat mates, the best idea is to sit down and have a chat with them about it. They may not realise their actions are causing you stress and will be happy to be more sensible once they are aware. You could suggest a cuppa and a chat, or a film night or even a games night and bring it up over that. This takes the pressure off you and comes across much more casual. It is worth trying to talk to them even if you are not that close, they may shock you.

If this doesn't work, it is probably best to bring it up with your university wellbeing team or accommodation team. They will have systems in place and are able to offer you support. Though this pandemic is new to everyone, they will have dealt with similar situations.

I hope this helps.
Lydia
(edited 2 years ago)
why dont you get the vaccine? im sure if you explain that your are anxious, they may reserve a vaxxine for you at the end of the day.
Reply 3
Original post by zooface1234
why dont you get the vaccine? im sure if you explain that your are anxious, they may reserve a vaxxine for you at the end of the day.

is that a thing? i just turned 19 and have no known underlying health conditions so i thought i wouldn't be eligible for it. i don't want to take a vaccine away from someone who needs it more than me
Original post by Anonymous
is that a thing? i just turned 19 and have no known underlying health conditions so i thought i wouldn't be eligible for it. i don't want to take a vaccine away from someone who needs it more than me

i get that, but if its causing you to much stress or anxiety, they may allow you to have the vaccine early.
another thing you should do is to line up at the end of the (come an hr early from when the appointments end) and you will receive the left over vaccines officially. sometimes they say go away there's no more left, but don't listen, cos Ik many ppl who were told that and stayed and they ended up getting it
im 17 and i have the vaccine from doing that
Original post by zooface1234
i get that, but if its causing you to much stress or anxiety, they may allow you to have the vaccine early.
another thing you should do is to line up at the end of the (come an hr early from when the appointments end) and you will receive the left over vaccines officially. sometimes they say go away there's no more left, but don't listen, cos Ik many ppl who were told that and stayed and they ended up getting it
im 17 and i have the vaccine from doing that

plus a person who needs it more isn't going to lose out, because the vaccines can only be used withing a certain time frame, thus they will go to waste
i live in halls with a few other people none of them take coronavirus seriously. it stresses me out because i still don't want to catch the virus, what should i do? is there anyone else who feels like this? honestly makes me want to go home

How did you previously manage this situation in respect of Flu which I assume you also don't want to catch?
Reply 7
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
How did you previously manage this situation in respect of Flu which I assume you also don't want to catch?

covid and flu are not comparable lmao. were we in an out of lockdown for flu? does flu have long term damange on your heart, kidney, brain and lungs?
covid and flu are not comparable lmao. were we in an out of lockdown for flu? does flu have long term damange on your heart, kidney, brain and lungs?

Flu kills up to 650,000 people a year globally. Are you saying you've never worried about it?

There's no comparison with the actual viruses of Covid and Flu, that wasn't the point of my post. I'm asking how you have previously protected yourself from other virulent and dangerous viruses in your situation in your halls of residence.

If the answer is "I never previously bothered or worried about them" then one has to ask why you are so suddenly worried about Covid. Young people are at next to no risk of getting serious Covid illness let alone dying from it. You have more chance of dying in a car accident.
Reply 9
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
Flu kills up to 650,000 people a year globally. Are you saying you've never worried about it?

There's no comparison with the actual viruses of Covid and Flu, that wasn't the point of my post. I'm asking how you have previously protected yourself from other virulent and dangerous viruses in your situation in your halls of residence.

If the answer is "I never previously bothered or worried about them" then one has to ask why you are so suddenly worried about Covid. Young people are at next to no risk of getting serious Covid illness let alone dying from it. You have more chance of dying in a car accident.

maybe because we're still in the midst of a pandemic? corona is still a relatively new disease, its very normal to be 'so suddenly worried about covid'

and there is no comparison to be made, that's the point. You don't worry about catching a cold in the same way that you worry about catching something like the Ebola virus
and there is no comparison to be made, that's the point. You don't worry about catching a cold in the same way that you worry about catching something like the Ebola virus

But that's precisely the point. A common cold and eBola are vastly different threats/risks. One is far deadlier than the other.

So it behoves you to properly assess the level of risk that Covid presents to people in your age group and in your good state of health. The fact is that you are at extremely little riskof serious Covid illness let alone dying so in this respect it IS very much like the common cold, to YOU. Not to everyone. Older, "at risk" people with underlying health conditions are at far more risk. For them Covid is more akin to eBola than a cold.

Your issue is simply around that inability or unwillingness to face the facts and assess those risks rationally. In your situation I personally wouldn't give the slightest toss about your hall mates. In fact since Covid represents such a tiny risk I would be very happy to catch it and come through it, very likely having no symptoms whatsoever, and thereby gain strong and lasting natural immunity as a result. My risk is higher than yours yet I have still faced Covid head on, suffered nothing more than very mild symptoms for a week, a bit of fatigue and a persistent dry cough, job done. Now I have natural immunity. So I don't need to get vaccinated with investigational unfullytested vaccines. Result. But each to their own.

As stated before, you likely have more chance of being hurt in a car accident than getting serious Covid illness so have you been worried about getting in a car?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending