The Student Room Group

Timewasting Employers- Why if my CV implies my race & you do not want this?

I have purposily added in my hobby words that indicates my race after years of being rejected for work due to the colour of my skin, when i attended interviews.

So why is it that when some employers respond to my application and request an interview, and being told towards the end they are impressed with my knowledge of the role and my tremedous experience but " they want someone that is the right fit"? Why waste theirs and my time?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amanda MoJohnson
I have purposily added in my hobby words that indicates my race after years of being rejected for work due to the colour of my skin, when i attended interviews.

So why is it that when some employers respond to my application and request an interview, and being told towards the end they are impressed with my knowledge of the role and my tremedous experience but " they want someone that is the right fit"? Why waste theirs and my time?

So what is your logic behind that strategy?
Original post by threeportdrift
So what is your logic behind that strategy?

The logic was simply for potential employers not waste my time if they are against employing people of colour. That way they know right up front. My surname is english and can be miscontrue as being English.
(edited 2 years ago)
The logic was simply for potential employers not waste my time if they are against employing people of colour. That way they know right up front. My surname is english and can be miscontrue as being English.

But how do you know the reason you aren't being employed is that you are a person of colour? Everyone who is asked to interview has already shown through the application process that they have the skills to do the job. Fit is always a key part of what is being assessed at interview and there are many reasons for not being the right fit. White people get rejected for fit as well. What evidence do you have that in your case it is your colour? Do the employers you are applying to have no people of colour in their workforce?

Try to learn more about how to fit in teams, how to detect a company style and they type of personality and skill set that is likely to fit, and work out how to adapt your interview presentation to the company. If you have access to something like LinkedIn learning, there will be courses on company fit on there. It's quite a subtle and difficult thing to work out, but once you spot the clues you can work to present a better fit - and the colour of your skin isn't an issue.
Original post by threeportdrift
But how do you know the reason you aren't being employed is that you are a person of colour? Everyone who is asked to interview has already shown through the application process that they have the skills to do the job. Fit is always a key part of what is being assessed at interview and there are many reasons for not being the right fit. White people get rejected for fit as well. What evidence do you have that in your case it is your colour? Do the employers you are applying to have no people of colour in their workforce?

Try to learn more about how to fit in teams, how to detect a company style and they type of personality and skill set that is likely to fit, and work out how to adapt your interview presentation to the company. If you have access to something like LinkedIn learning, there will be courses on company fit on there. It's quite a subtle and difficult thing to work out, but once you spot the clues you can work to present a better fit - and the colour of your skin isn't an issue.

In ALL the places i have turned up to be interviewed and seen that the entire workforce were white! ( and many times i felt like walking out, but thought as i was there to go through with it ) so please stop the Boris " England is not racist , English employers are not racist -sega mate". I am not one to call a spade a spade without facts. It was the very reason why i had added key words in my hobbies in the first place to avoid situations such as what i had been experiencing. For some reason i cannot comprehend why i still managed to get responses from timewasting managers, it confuses me.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
In ALL the places i have turned up to be interviewed and seen that the entire workforce were white! ( and many times i felt like walking out, but thought as i was there to go through with it ) so please stop the Boris " England is not racist , English employers are not racist -sega mate". I am not one to call a spade a spade without facts. It was the very reason why i had added key words in my hobbies in the first place to avoid situations such as what i had been experiencing. For some reason i cannot comprehend why i still managed to get responses from timewasting managers, it confuses me.

your post is an example of anecdotal evidence, not facts. There must be something you're not doing to show that you can fit into the company. I have a BAME background and I managed to get a role at a company - where the majority are either white English or white european. I also know people who have BAME backgrounds who work in companies where there is a majority of white people.

You're simply displaying a victim mentality and that is not good - equal opportunity doesnt not equate to equal outcome.

Did you ever consider the fact that the England consists of a greater proportion of white english people? It may not be the case in certain regions of england, but the majority are white english. So in most cases, there is likely to be a greater proportion of white English people in the majority of companies, with some exceptions?
Original post by tan030
your post is an example of anecdotal evidence, not facts. There must be something you're not doing to show that you can fit into the company. I have a BAME background and I managed to get a role at a company - where the majority are either white English or white european. I also know people who have BAME backgrounds who work in companies where there is a majority of white people.

You're simply displaying a victim mentality and that is not good - equal opportunity doesnt not equate to equal outcome.

Did you ever consider the fact that the England consists of a greater proportion of white english people? It may not be the case in certain regions of england, but the majority are white english. So in most cases, there is likely to be a greater proportion of white English people in the majority of companies, with some exceptions?

Oh how i anticipated someone who will " POSE" as a member of the BAME community to point out that it is not a fact of race and is delusional and completely out of touch with how England and a LOT of employers are. A Lot are indeed racist.

Your words have no bases no facts. No one walks into an interview and displays "victim" mentality. I have always maintained a highly professional and knowledgeable approach . I know how to play the game when i enter the room, so please do not patronise me at all. It is a common feature and has been a topic in a LOT of BAME forums and if you were TRULY a part of the BAME group you would know that.

I have not said that i have not secured work in an all white environment. I have work for a few all companies that where all white ( unfortunately) in the past and it has been the most horrible and regretful experience. I found ( in my experience) white employers like to employ " token " black people to manipulate and take considerable advantage of . Maybe that is what they were hoping to see when i entered the room. Maybe they where hoping to see a subdued , demour woman of colour who would be a sucker. who they can take advantage of and when they saw a confident , woman who knows what she wants. And i dont mean being all attitudy, i mean assertive in a professional , knows what she wants and very knowledgeable about her experience and what she can bring to the role- they are like" Oh know, we dont want that". That is a grave possibility .
Reply 7
Oh how i anticipated someone who will " POSE" as a member of the BAME community to point out that it is not a fact of race and is delusional and completely out of touch with how England and a LOT of employers are. A Lot are indeed racist.

Your words have no bases no facts. No one walks into an interview and displays "victim" mentality. I have always maintained a highly professional and knowledgeable approach . I know how to play the game when i enter the room, so please do not patronise me at all. It is a common feature and has been a topic in a LOT of BAME forums and if you were TRULY a part of the BAME group you would know that.

I have not said that i have not secured work in an all white environment. I have work for a few all companies that where all white ( unfortunately) in the past and it has been the most horrible and regretful experience. I found ( in my experience) white employers like to employ " token " black people to manipulate and take considerable advantage of . Maybe that is what they were hoping to see when i entered the room. Maybe they where hoping to see a subdued , demour woman of colour who would be a sucker. who they can take advantage of and when they saw a confident , woman who knows what she wants. And i dont mean being all attitudy, i mean assertive in a professional , knows what she wants and very knowledgeable about her experience and what she can bring to the role- they are like" Oh know, we dont want that". That is a grave possibility .

Now you're just projecting. If you want to assume that I'm 'posing' as a member of the BAME community then that is your problem, not mine. I have an asian background who happen to be one of the lowest earners in the UK (based on hourly wage) so I dont know what you're trying to say about me. The difference is you act as a victim and have a chip on your shoulder, while I don't. You throw the race card at the earliest opportunity, while I try and work on my weaknesses and dont assume the worst in a lot of employers - you may not be physically 'displaying' traits of someone with a victim mentality but based on the above, you clearly have one.

My words are based off facts - apart from certain regions of the UK, the UK has a predominantly white population, hence based off proportionality there is likely to be more white people in companies then minorities/people of bame backgrounds. You do a simple google search of the demographics of England and apply some proportionality, then you'll see my point is clearly a fact. You on the other hand allow your emotions to get in the way and make claims that 'a lot' of employers are racist without displaying a shred of evidence to back up your claim. You end your diatribe with it being 'a grave possibility', providing your making unsubstantiated claims which are based off anecdotal evidence

I'm not saying that racism doesnt exist but you're simply projecting your insecurities and are assuming you're not getting hired due to racism. Did you ever consider the fact that your personality may come across as too assertive, over confident and full of yourself during an interview? Not everyone likes that sort of person and would not want to work with someone like that.

Try viewing things without thinking the whole world is against you. It will make you sound less bitter
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Screenshot_20210509-175210_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Screenshot_20210509-175202_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Screenshot_20210509-174953_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg

take a look at these stats on the Government/ONS websites. there are more British bangladeshi/Pakistani households in the bottom two income quartiles compared to the black community and people within the black community earn more per hour over the age of 30 compared to bangladeshi's/pakistani's.

If you actually used some evidence to back up your points, you'd be taken more seriously. You're showing your ignorance by thinking asians only constitute people from the Far east and Indians - so if anything, people in the black community are NOT paid the lowest in the UK.

Care to provide some actual stats that support your claims or are you gonna have another emotional outburst. I'm not claiming anything, my points are backed up - according to the data, I should be earning the lowest hourly rate in the UK but alas, I dont act like a victim and actually exceed it by quite a bit.

Please try harder, you're not as good as you think you are.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
In ALL the places i have turned up to be interviewed and seen that the entire workforce were white!

Mebby research the employer before applying?
Agreed. And they called the other main poster on here out for using the BAME terminology repeatedly when all I thought whilst reading their posts was that they did the exact same thing. How very hypocritical.
Reply 11
I was going to say similar.

Though I was going to say jackass rather than whiner.
Agreed.
Original post by Quady
Mebby research the employer before applying?

That is something i always do prior to attending interviews , but it does not give a true picture of the diverse employees. That is why i ensure i give significant indication of my race in the hobby section to avoid my time being wasted. It is only when i attend interviews i am faced with zero percentage of employees that of the minority
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14

So why is it that when some employers respond to my application and request an interview, and being told towards the end they are impressed with my knowledge of the role and my tremedous experience but " they want someone that is the right fit"?

Perhaps they only check about your last employer after the interview so only then hear of your tanished name.
Reply 15
That is something i always do prior to attending interviews , but it does not give a true picture of the diverse population

Given ALL the places you've been to interview have entirely white workforces then you gotta been unlucky.

Like black folk gotta work someplace.

Given your 30 year working career I'd have assumed you'd know where another black person works in your industry. Or at least be able to research to find a company that has one or two.
Reply 16
you need to learn to be likeable
The employees of a majority white country are majority white, who'd have thought, bloody racists!

Seriously though, stop playing the race card. Your attitude is why nobody will employ you.
Original post by Quady
Perhaps they only check about your last employer after the interview so only then hear of your tanished name.

I am not sure how you figured that out as the " right fit" comment was made during the interview. I did not like the fact that there was no employees of colour , but i continued to be professional and played the game , but resided from wanting to be a part of the company, the minute i witnessed that. I know from experience that companies that act on those principles will always be of an incredible disadvantage to any employee of colours growth and future success
(edited 2 years ago)
The first company I worked for was small and quite literally had an entire white workforce. Mostly men as it was IT/finance, so they weren't winning on diversity. I still got the job on my own merit but while I was there, they recruited more women, and since I've left I believe they have a few more POC.

To be honest, I'd say POC stand more of a chance in those situations as most respectable companies will want to gain and promote diversity. The company was great, and the people were really friendly, it just happened to be in a town that wasn't overly diverse itself. So based on that, and some of the attitude displayed here, I'm guessing you fell short on your attitude. That or you have no real skills to offer so you're scraping the barrel. Either way, look at yourself before pointing fingers. It's a good mantra to have in life.

Latest

Trending

Trending