The Student Room Group

Biology revision

I’m in my first year in sixth form and I’ve been having difficulties finding revision techniques. I’m trying to aim for B as I need it for uni, but I’m losing motivation because I keep getting less than 50% in my assessment. Can someone please give advice on this. Anything to improve my grades.
Reply 1
hey id advise understanding the content really well,use the specification,watch youtube videos for help to understand and do lots of past paper q's
Original post by Aishao.0
I’m in my first year in sixth form and I’ve been having difficulties finding revision techniques. I’m trying to aim for B as I need it for uni, but I’m losing motivation because I keep getting less than 50% in my assessment. Can someone please give advice on this. Anything to improve my grades.

Hi :smile:
What I did is that I printed out the specification and after we finished a topic, I would set aside a day/afternoon or two to sit and make flashcards covering each specification point. I included flashcards with exam question wording from assessments and stuff to ensure I learn the necessary vocabulary. This was a really good way of revising the content after we finished a topic and also meant I had a very valuable revision resource for exams as I would just look up the specification points I needed and found the relevant flashcards (I wrote the specification points on the corners). The other thing I did was explain concepts to someone/out loud to myself or write as much as I could remember down about a topic from memory, then after reading notes, and then with notes in different colours.
That was all the content revision I did. The rest was doing past papers under timed and exam conditions and LOADS of exam questions- like all of the ones I could find. What specification are you doing btw? I do SNAB so I could send you links for exam Qs for that.
Don't lose hope though- you can do it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by L.Green
hey id advise understanding the content really well,use the specification,watch youtube videos for help to understand and do lots of past paper q's

Okay thanks I appreciate it
Reply 4
Original post by kaorimiyazono
What I did is that I printed out the specification and after we finished a topic, I would set aside a day/afternoon or two to sit and make flashcards covering each specification point. I included flashcards with exam question wording from assessments and stuff to ensure I learn the necessary vocabulary. This was a really good way of revising the content after we finished a topic and also meant I had a very valuable revision resource for exams as I would just look up the specification points I needed and found the relevant flashcards (I wrote the specification points on the corners). The other thing I did was explain concepts to someone/out loud to myself or write as much as I could remember down about a topic from memory, then after reading notes, and then with notes in different colours.
That was all the content revision I did. The rest was doing past papers under timed and exam conditions and LOADS of exam questions- like all of the ones I could find. What specification are you doing btw? I do SNAB so I could send you links for exam Qs for that.

Oh I do aqa but Thanks so much :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Hey, I’d though I’d just pop on here to give you my thoughts and advice! I’m in my second year of college and I’m also studying aqa biology. Firstly, the step up from GCSE can be quite challenging, so it’s normal for your grades to dip- once you settle in, you’ll notice your grades will improve! Don’t worry too much at the minute, you’re still settling in after a rough year. In terms of actively revising, I’d suggest you do as many exam questions as possible. When you’re stuck, make a flash card or notes. The more questions you do, the better your technique will be and you’ll reach a point where you know what the mark scheme is looking for (all similar questions will want similar mark points, you’ll start to recognise this and “learn the mark scheme”). A good place to find exam questions for all sciences (gcse and a level), is studymind- they have all of the exam questions from the new spec in topic order! Another thing that should help you consolidate your learning is if you go over your lessons in your own time, and read up on the next lessons work. I hope you see an improvement soon and achieve the grade you’re aiming for! If you have any questions, I’d be happy to help, good luck!! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Oh I do aqa but Thanks so much :smile:

Np :smile: Here's a link to the AQA section of this website I found to source exam Qs:
https://www.studymind.co.uk/resource/aqa-a-level-biology/
Reply 7
Original post by XHannahR
Hey, I’d though I’d just pop on here to give you my thoughts and advice! I’m in my second year of college and I’m also studying aqa biology. Firstly, the step up from GCSE can be quite challenging, so it’s normal for your grades to dip- once you settle in, you’ll notice your grades will improve! Don’t worry too much at the minute, you’re still settling in after a rough year. In terms of actively revising, I’d suggest you do as many exam questions as possible. When you’re stuck, make a flash card or notes. The more questions you do, the better your technique will be and you’ll reach a point where you know what the mark scheme is looking for (all similar questions will want similar mark points, you’ll start to recognise this and “learn the mark scheme”). A good place to find exam questions for all sciences (gcse and a level), is studymind- they have all of the exam questions from the new spec in topic order! Another thing that should help you consolidate your learning is if you go over your lessons in your own time, and read up on the next lessons work. I hope you see an improvement soon and achieve the grade you’re aiming for! If you have any questions, I’d be happy to help, good luck!! :smile:

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I’ll make sure to take your advice :smile:

Heyyy I just came across this thread and I see you do snab. It’s so hard to find exams questions for snab so I’d really appreciate if you send those exam qs :smile: thanks btw
Original post by saulgoodman246
Heyyy I just came across this thread and I see you do snab. It’s so hard to find exams questions for snab so I’d really appreciate if you send those exam qs :smile: thanks btw

Hi :smile: IKR why is it so hard to find revision resources??? It's so frustrating!!
I use this website to help me with core practical revision ( https://snabbiology.co.uk/core-practicals/ ) and this for quick reminders about random stuff ( http://astarbiology.com/a-level/edexcel/notes/ ) although neither of them are very detailed.
I found this website ( https://www.a-levelpastpapers.co.uk/a-level-biology-edexcel-a-snab-past-papers.html ) which has all the past papers with mark schemes (sometimes you have to download and save them so you can print them without the 'draft' word and red lines on them). The old spec ones are still relevant btw- the topics are also paired as T1+2, T3+4, T5+6 and T7+8 which I quite like.
Then this website has been a lifesaver ( https://www.studymind.co.uk/resource/edexcel-a-level-biology/ ). I don't think it has all the subtopics on it but all of the packs are really useful and specific to SNAB.
Anyway I hope this is helpful. Good luck :smile:
Hi :smile: IKR why is it so hard to find revision resources??? It's so frustrating!!
I use this website to help me with core practical revision ( https://snabbiology.co.uk/core-practicals/ ) and this for quick reminders about random stuff ( http://astarbiology.com/a-level/edexcel/notes/ ) although neither of them are very detailed.
I found this website ( https://www.a-levelpastpapers.co.uk/a-level-biology-edexcel-a-snab-past-papers.html ) which has all the past papers with mark schemes (sometimes you have to download and save them so you can print them without the 'draft' word and red lines on them). The old spec ones are still relevant btw- the topics are also paired as T1+2, T3+4, T5+6 and T7+8 which I quite like.
Then this website has been a lifesaver ( https://www.studymind.co.uk/resource/edexcel-a-level-biology/ ). I don't think it has all the subtopics on it but all of the packs are really useful and specific to SNAB.
Anyway I hope this is helpful. Good luck :smile:

Thank you sooooo much you're an absolute lifesaver lad! I literally have my end of y12 exams in 2 weeks so I thought it'd be good to brush up on exam technique ya know :wink: Thank you once again and good luck :smile:
Original post by saulgoodman246
Thank you sooooo much you're an absolute lifesaver lad! I literally have my end of y12 exams in 2 weeks so I thought it'd be good to brush up on exam technique ya know :wink: Thank you once again and good luck :smile:

Np I'm glad I could help :smile: Good luck with your exams!! I hope they go well.

Quick Reply

Latest