The Student Room Group

iPad for uni

Hi. So I have an iPad that I used for sixth form and it is now 5 years old. The battery life is less than half of its original length and it has a manufacturing fault to do with a large white spot on the screen that I didn’t notice until it was too late to exchange it. Because of this I can get an upgrade for my birthday to a newer iPad for uni.

I’m doing a bioscience course and will have a lot of graphs and reading to do on my iPad. I also plan to write on it with a pencil like I do now, just with the 2nd gen pencil rather than the first.

I’m not sure what iPad to get. I’m torn between the iPad Air 4 (I think that’s the latest one) and the iPad Pro 2020 model. I know people say that students don’t need the air but the price between the air and the pro when I put the cost together will only be a £50 save so I feel like I might as well just upgrade to the pro for the extra £50.

As it’s a birthday present from my family I will be getting money towards it from many different people, meaning there is a large chance with my savings also I can afford the 12.9” pro. I know it’s less portable but I like the option of being able to split screen with a textbook and good notes 5 and I struggle to do that now with my 10.5” so idk how much an extra half an inch will make on the 11” iPad Pro and if it will be easier on the 11” or if I should look at going up.

I’m going to look at the size difference next week to get a feel of what size is best for me, and also what model.

I’m just asking for advice, from current students at uni with an iPad, what they use it for and what iPad they have and would recommend. I’ll be using it a lot throughout my 4 year degree (I’m on an integrated masters course) and would probably look at a Logitech or some other brand keyboard to be able to attach as my experience with Apple keyboards hasn’t been great and their latest model is so expensive.

Thank you!
if you think the ipad is the better choice for productivity then you'll definitely want the one with more functionality

but you've already said you'll buy a discrete keyboard so why not get a good touchscreen laptop?
Original post by HoldThisL
if you think the ipad is the better choice for productivity then you'll definitely want the one with more functionality

but you've already said you'll buy a discrete keyboard so why not get a good touchscreen laptop?

I already have a laptop that isn’t touchscreen and don’t want to get another one as it’s not very old. Also I like to write on my iPad on good notes and use it as a notebook which will be hard on a laptop
i think the 12.5 would be good for you. i have the air and really like it but it’s hard to split screen on goodnotes and a textbook
Original post by blackforest786
i think the 12.5 would be good for you. i have the air and really like it but it’s hard to split screen on goodnotes and a textbook

Thank you! If due to money or I find the size too big when I take a look, do you think with your air that there’s much of a gap between that and the pro?
Also if I go to the store to look at iPads will they likely have the 2021 iPads in store to look at if they’re not being released to customers for a couple more weeks?
Original post by Googley_eyes
Thank you! If due to money or I find the size too big when I take a look, do you think with your air that there’s much of a gap between that and the pro?

noo not from what i’ve seen, it’s baso the same. it’s really nice
Reply 7
My sister got the iPad pro with a discreet key board for her law degree. She changed at the end of her first year because there are too many problems with the connection between the pad and keyboard when used intensively. She upgraded to a laptop (Apple) Now much better.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Euapp
My sister got the iPad pro with a discreet key board for her law degree. She changed at the end of her first year because there are too many problems with the connection between the pad and keyboard when used intensively. She upgraded to a laptop (Apple) Now much better.

Thanks. However I already have a laptop and would be using the Apple Pencil (which I know is great as I have one) rather than use it as a laptop, I don’t really care about connectivity issues in that regard. I’d also just get a cheap keyboard anyways so if it is faulty I can just get a replacement.
Reply 9
Apple replaced hers keyboard 3 times free of charge so were really good in that respect, but if you're going to be using the pencil it's not really an issue.
Original post by Googley_eyes
Thanks. However I already have a laptop and would be using the Apple Pencil (which I know is great as I have one) rather than use it as a laptop, I don’t really care about connectivity issues in that regard. I’d also just get a cheap keyboard anyways so if it is faulty I can just get a replacement.

i recommended the logitech k380 it’s nice looking and works great

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending