The Student Room Group

How do English Universities Treat Modern Studies?

In Scotland we have a subject called Modern Studies - it's unique to our curriculum. It is basically a mix of politics and sociology. It is considered in the same calibre as history and other essay subjects.

I've tried looking on the websites of various English universities and I can't seem to find anything about whether Modern Studies (whether Higher or Advanced Higher) is accepted as a valid qualification when applying.

Could anyone help me out?
Usually SQA entry requirements are expressed as something like two Advanced Highers and five Highers or three Advanced Highers, with specific subjects stated - ie. "Advanced Higher: AA including Chemistry, and Standard Higher: AAAAB" or "Advanced Higher: AB including an essay-based subject, and Standard Higher: AAABB" etc etc

What degree subject are you intending to apply for?
Original post by McGinger
Usually SQA entry requirements are expressed as something like two Advanced Highers and five Highers or three Advanced Highers, with specific subjects stated - ie. "Advanced Higher: AA including Chemistry, and Standard Higher: AAAAB" or "Advanced Higher: AB including an essay-based subject, and Standard Higher: AAABB" etc etc

What degree subject are you intending to apply for?

Economics
Original post by Throwaway92-9294
Economics

Usually the only specified subject is Maths.
Why are you concerned about Modern Studies?
Original post by McGinger
Usually the only specified subject is Maths.
Why are you concerned about Modern Studies?

I was thinking of taking Modern Studies alongside Maths and History at Advanced Higher.
Original post by Throwaway92-9294
I was thinking of taking Modern Studies alongside Maths and History at Advanced Higher.

As long as you meet the 'required' subject(s) (usually only Maths) then any other subject can literally be anything.
If this isnt clear on the website then email the Uni and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending