The Student Room Group

thoughts on reusable period products?

what are your thoughts on reusable washable period underwear/ menstrual cups/ reusable washable period pads?

I have used all of these products and i find them super easy to use and affordable. I find them better for my body and the environment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good in theory but not practical for a lot of women. I dont care enough about the environment to carry around used 'washable pads' all day, walk around in damp underwear or clean a cup.
Reply 2
you’ve a little wet bag for the used pads & they last for 12 hours and the underwear never feel damp and the cup just needs a rinse with boiling water :smile:
Original post by Foxehh
Good in theory but not practical for a lot of women. I dont care enough about the environment to carry around used 'washable pads' all day, walk around in damp underwear or clean a cup.

YOU'RE A FEMALE?!

Original post by Anonymous
what are your thoughts on reusable washable period underwear/ menstrual cups/ reusable washable period pads?

I have used all of these products and i find them super easy to use and affordable. I find them better for my body and the environment

Not a female, but personally I'd probably be partial to menstrual cups than washable period pads.
Reply 4
you’ve a little wet bag for the used pads & they last for 12 hours and the underwear never feel damp and the cup just needs a rinse with boiling water :smile:

One pad may last you 12 hours but thats not the same for all women. And anything soaked in blood will start feeling a bit damp after a few hours, the underwear are not perfect and most of the companies themselves recommend them as a 'backup' for women with heavier flows rather than using just them alone. Unlike pads or tampons you have to change out of underwear which isnt practical if you're going to constantly be doing so.
It's great that they all work for you but not my preference for myself.

Original post by Callicious
YOU'RE A FEMALE?!

:girl:

Can't use cups due to vaginismus and washable pads and underwear are unhygienic. So I stick to tampons - there are biodegradable and compostable ones.
Ah not sure about this idea just yet, it may be better for the environment but i need to change the whole way i use period products then, and its not as efficient in every day life i would think, as we go out and about a lot.
Reply 7
Can't use cups due to vaginismus and washable pads and underwear are unhygienic. So I stick to tampons - there are biodegradable and compostable ones.

how are reusable pads and underwear unhygienic? they are boiled and washed so all bacteria/germs are killed. Same with the rest of your clothing
how are reusable pads and underwear unhygienic? they are boiled and washed so all bacteria/germs are killed. Same with the rest of your clothing

washing clothes doesn't kill bacteria
I love them.
I have washable period pants and pads. I also have the menstrual cup too.
I wanted to go more eco friendly and not only are they better for the environment, but the pads are so much quieter too 😂 when putting them on in the bathroom or even just walking, there's no more paranoia of someone hearing the crinkling of the plastic
I use the pants for night and the pads for when I'm home and relaxing. But the cup I'll use when I'm out and about running errands and stuff. I highly recommend them. I'm trying to convince my mum to get a cup, but she has a tilted cervix and she found the last one uncomfortable, but apparently they do ones especially for those who have a tilted cervix, which I think is brilliant

Also ^^ to the anonymous above, you're doing your washing wrong then my darling. I use a antibacterial detergant, leaves my clothes not only antimicrobial free, but it hasn't got a chemically scent either
I rinse my pad or pants off in the shower then I run it through a hot wash with the detergant and they're perfectly clean and very much so hygienic
As for the cup, it is probably the least unsanitary period product out there. You wash it with hot water, you can get washes/"soap" especially for it, and you only insert and remove it when you've got clean hands.
Tampons can be really bad for you. I cant use them, the chemicals that they use to make the cotton white is really irritating for me and gave me really severely painful cramps, but as soon as I switched to a menstrual cup it was an instantaneous change - anyone who is the same, I 100% recommend the cup

Also ^^ to the anonymous above, you're doing your washing wrong then my darling. I use a antibacterial detergant, leaves my clothes not only antimicrobial free, but it hasn't got a chemically scent either
I rinse my pad or pants off in the shower then I run it through a hot wash with the detergant and they're perfectly clean and very much so hygienic
As for the cup, it is probably the least unsanitary period product out there. You wash it with hot water, you can get washes/"soap" especially for it, and you only insert and remove it when you've got clean hands.
Tampons can be really bad for you. I cant use them, the chemicals that they use to make the cotton white is really irritating for me and gave me really severely painful cramps, but as soon as I switched to a menstrual cup it was an instantaneous change - anyone who is the same, I 100% recommend the cup

Have a look at what that antibacterial detergent is doing to marine life.

As I said above, I can't use menstrual cups. But for those who can use them, I agree that they are a good and hygienic option.
Reply 11
I like the idea of them but I just don’t know if I’m open to trying them myself.

Menstrual cups looks painful (even tampons scare me, let alone a suction cup!). I’ve also heard some horror stories about them getting stuck so I’m probably going to pass.

I also don’t think I would enjoy cleaning the reusable pads.

I’m all about saving the planet in other ways (metal straws all the way woo!) but not when it comes to period products personally.
Original post by TFEU
I like the idea of them but I just don’t know if I’m open to trying them myself.

Menstrual cups looks painful (even tampons scare me, let alone a suction cup!). I’ve also heard some horror stories about them getting stuck so I’m probably going to pass.

I was really nervous at first, but they come with a little booklet of how to insert them and take them out. When removing it you just have to break the seal to allow it to get loose (just push the side a little). Maybe the stories you heard were of people who didn't do it properly? I don't know?
But about it being uncomfortable, I actually find them really comfortable. The least favourite bit for me, I would say is taking it out, but that's just because it's a full open cup at that point, but you can collapse the sides too. You fold it over when putting it in so the application is actually easier than the removal, but you get used to it after a while. It sits in there well, you can't feel it at all. I've had this for a few months and I used be able to feel it where it was sat, but then I saw something which shows that they're meant to sit at the opening of the cervix and realised I'd been wearing them far too low😂 life changing that was, it sits a lot better rnow though 😂 I thought it was like a tampon where the end is supposed to stick out but it doesn't
But fair enough. I thought I'd give it a try because, well, why not and I liked it, but it isn't for everyone. And they can last up to 10 years should it be looked after too, which is good. Less money spent on products then, more money for books 😂😂
Reply 13
I was really nervous at first, but they come with a little booklet of how to insert them and take them out. When removing it you just have to break the seal to allow it to get loose (just push the side a little). Maybe the stories you heard were of people who didn't do it properly? I don't know?
But about it being uncomfortable, I actually find them really comfortable. The least favourite bit for me, I would say is taking it out, but that's just because it's a full open cup at that point, but you can collapse the sides too. You fold it over when putting it in so the application is actually easier than the removal, but you get used to it after a while. It sits in there well, you can't feel it at all. I've had this for a few months and I used be able to feel it where it was sat, but then I saw something which shows that they're meant to sit at the opening of the cervix and realised I'd been wearing them far too low😂 life changing that was, it sits a lot better rnow though 😂 I thought it was like a tampon where the end is supposed to stick out but it doesn't
But fair enough. I thought I'd give it a try because, well, why not and I liked it, but it isn't for everyone. And they can last up to 10 years should it be looked after too, which is good. Less money spent on products then, more money for books 😂😂

The CERVIX? oh my god. I did not put off sex for all these years just to have a suction cup go right up to my cervix! How does it not hurt?!?! I've also heard that it can tear up your hymen which can be quite painful? Idk if I should really go to bed or if the menstrual cup really is terrifying, but even typing this is giving me shivers! I'll probably donate some money to greenpeace to make me feel better about all the pads I didn't recycle.
Original post by TFEU
The CERVIX? oh my god. I did not put off sex for all these years just to have a suction cup go right up to my cervix! How does it not hurt?!?! I've also heard that it can tear up your hymen which can be quite painful? Idk if I should really go to bed or if the menstrual cup really is terrifying, but even typing this is giving me shivers! I'll probably donate some money to greenpeace to make me feel better about all the pads I didn't recycle.

If you look at a diagram of the female reproductive system, the cervix isn't actually that far up the vaginal canal
The way you phrased that is making me laugh so much rn😂

It's not really a suction cup, it just seems like it would be. It's like putting a bucket under a leak in the ceiling and then emptying it when it's full, except its a lot closer to the leak 😂 the best analogy I can come up with rn. I am so tired and I have a cold I literally can't breathe and its horrible 😂 also on my period AND I have to go to the gym later so I'll be using the cup then too 😂

I've not heard of the hymen tearing thing though, that's new information. Anything can break the hymen though, it's not just what gets inserted into the vagina, apparently it can also be things like horse riding? I'm not overly sure, but I'm sure I've heard or read that somewhere?
But yeah, you should definitely go to bed mate 😂 Imma try and do the same too
It's honestly not as bad as it seems though 😂
Reply 15
I love them.
I have washable period pants and pads. I also have the menstrual cup too.
I wanted to go more eco friendly and not only are they better for the environment, but the pads are so much quieter too 😂 when putting them on in the bathroom or even just walking, there's no more paranoia of someone hearing the crinkling of the plastic
I use the pants for night and the pads for when I'm home and relaxing. But the cup I'll use when I'm out and about running errands and stuff. I highly recommend them. I'm trying to convince my mum to get a cup, but she has a tilted cervix and she found the last one uncomfortable, but apparently they do ones especially for those who have a tilted cervix, which I think is brilliant

I havent done the math, but something makes me doubt that a full load of laundry and running the shower water for however long for a couple of pads every single day for a half a week a month is less eco friendly than throwing out a few pads...
Reply 16
It's not really a suction cup, it just seems like it would be. It's like putting a bucket under a leak in the ceiling and then emptying it when it's full, except its a lot closer to the leak 😂 the best analogy I can come up with rn. I am so tired and I have a cold I literally can't breathe and its horrible 😂 also on my period AND I have to go to the gym later so I'll be using the cup then too 😂

But you said you need to break the seal to loosen them when taking them out. I'm fairly confident that it is sealed through suction hence why you need to bend it to release the suction before taking it out.

I did search up a picture haha. It still looks way too far up there for comfort. :s-smilie:

I don't know, there's just too much uncertainty. I can't see it; I apparently can't feel it; I can't control what it's doing up there and the control freak in me simply won't allow that to happen. My irrational thoughts would have a field day lol.
Original post by Foxehh
I havent done the math, but something makes me doubt that a full load of laundry and running the shower water for however long for a couple of pads every single day for a half a week a month is less eco friendly than throwing out a few pads...

:yep:

I've never tried any re-usable products for menstruation but, I'm not opposed to the cups. Would definitely give them a try however, the underwear seems like it would be uncomfortable for me so I probably wouldn't try that.
the period underwear is super comfortable. it doesn’t feel thick or like a nappy or anything!! much better for the environment since water is a renewable source and the pads and tampons take 1000 years to decompose. the menstrual cup doesn’t hurt at all. It slides straight up when you’re menstruating and you can’t feel it when it’s in. it’s like a tampon - if u can feel it then it’s not in properly.
when you’re removing it try sitting on the toilet and bearing down like a gentle push and then reach in and squeeze the sides together to break the air suction seal and it’ll come straight out!

i recommend mylittleecoshop for reusable pads and floweret for period pants and menstrual cups

Quick Reply

Latest