The Student Room Group

Master's or Year in Industry

Hi,
I am an international mature student looking to do my undergrad in the uk. I have received an offer from Swanswea and Oxford Brookes for BSc computer science if this information may be of help.

Since I am 25yrs old and Don't have a lot of time is it worth doing a normal BSc and a master's rather than a BSc with year in industry? Is a master's worth the extra debt I will accrue on top of my undergrad loan?

I hope to be finished with my higher education by 30 but I cannot afford to waste a year in industry in undergrad if I had the same option to do this after a master's.

Mainly concerned with employability and being able to pay back the loan as soon as I can.

Scroll to see replies

Choose the year in industry. In IT careers employers prefer a lot more about your skills and experience than qualifications (unless you want to be an academic). Also, a year in industry can sometimes lead to a job offer post-graduation, which would be very useful if you are planning to stay in the UK after your degree.
Reply 2
Original post by jmanjibenjy
Hi,
I am an international mature student looking to do my undergrad in the uk. I have received an offer from Swanswea and Oxford Brookes for BSc computer science if this information may be of help.

Since I am 25yrs old and Don't have a lot of time is it worth doing a normal BSc and a master's rather than a BSc with year in industry? Is a master's worth the extra debt I will accrue on top of my undergrad loan?

I hope to be finished with my higher education by 30 but I cannot afford to waste a year in industry in undergrad if I had the same option to do this after a master's.

Mainly concerned with employability and being able to pay back the loan as soon as I can.

Hi what are the masters options are they Target universities if you care about employment?
Target- LBS, LSE, Warwick, Oxbridge, UCL
Reply 3
Hi,

Hi, what are the master's options are they Target universities if you care about employment?
Reply 4
Original post by one_two_three
Choose the year in industry. In IT careers employers prefer a lot more about your skills and experience than qualifications (unless you want to be an academic). Also, a year in industry can sometimes lead to a job offer post-graduation, which would be very useful if you are planning to stay in the UK after your degree.

Thanks. That's what i feel too. I'm not too familiar about the higher education system in the UK, So I'm not sure how much a masters is valued in this industry and if i am compromising my career in any way.

Would you have an opinion on RG universities or these universities i've applied to? Are they good enough to find a job? Or is an RG university something worth getting into?
Reply 5
Original post by Ackman
Hi, what are the master's options are they Target universities if you care about employment?

Hi i am applying for bachelor's so these are not within my reach currently. They could be if i complete uni with good scores and have the budget to persue these places. Thnks though
Reply 6
Hi i am applying for bachelor's so these are not within my reach currently. They could be if i complete uni with good scores and have the budget to persue these places. Thnks though

Hi to be blunt swansea and Oxford brookes arent going to net you a great return on your uni investment as they are non RG universities in the UK and both non targets for IB MM B4. this is the list of universities you should be looking at:
target- oxbridge, ucl, lse, Icl, Warwick
semi-target-notts, bristol, york, bath, exeter, edinburgh, durham, st andrews
good (not quite semi)- Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle
Reply 7
okay... I would have liked to apply in these places, but they do not have direct application portals and I've missed the UCAS deadline this year (jan29th) although I could apply but there is no guarantee.
is it worth trying UCAS application for these places this late?
Reply 8
okay... I would have liked to apply in these places, but they do not have direct application portals and I've missed the UCAS deadline this year (jan29th) although I could apply but there is no guarantee.
is it worth trying UCAS application for these places this late?

I have a mate this year who missed the deadline but still went through ucas and still got into a RG but that was in march, but it may be worth a shot. failing that i would look at clearing this year (last year it was very good being a covid year with lot's of RG universities with pleotha of degree choices being in there) my guess being a reduced demand in international students, it may be the same case this year, so its worth a shot
Reply 9
I get it... But here's the deal- I'm a mature student (25). I have grades equivalent to ABB with not so great math grades. I have some work experience in digital marketing which is may not be considered relevant experience but I have independent software projects to show on my resume & GitHub too.

What are my chances in these unis? Maybe I have shot at a few lower ranked RG unis idk I have applied to Dundee and QUB. the latter I beleive to be RG. so... still worth it?
Reply 10
I get it... But here's the deal- I'm a mature student (25). I have grades equivalent to ABB with not so great math grades. I have some work experience in digital marketing which is may not be considered relevant experience but I have independent software projects to show on my resume & GitHub too.

What are my chances in these unis? Maybe I have shot at a few lower ranked RG unis idk I have applied to Dundee and QUB. the latter I beleive to be RG. so... still worth it?

through clearing a very good chance with a level equvialents of ABB. If i were to guess compsci at newcastle, york, notts, leeds may be in clearing and you might stand a good chance of getting in. failing that look at universites like sheffield and liverpool but make sure it is a RG (trust me it will be important for you masters application and having the chance to study at a even better university like the ones i listed in the target list) attending a semi or target will dramatically increase your employment prospects.
Hi,

Computer Science itself is a very job-secure subject in the UK and although I don't know if you plan on returning to your country after your degree, I can imagine it would be likely that there would be lots of jobs available there too as it is a fast-growing field worldwide.
In this case, I would recommend taking the year in industry as employers tend to highly value work experience, and instead of adding to your debt you can earn money in the year industry.

Also, Russell Group universities are overrated - the group establishes itself on a basis of research-intensiveness, and the research undertaken by universities has a small impact on undergraduate students. I've read the other replies and there's no need to get worried about getting into a RG university - employers care more about work experience (year in industry) than the university you attended and Swansea and Dundee are respected universities anyway, plus computer science itself is a very employable subject. Don't worry about RG universities.
Reply 12
Original post by Ackman
through clearing a very good chance with a level equvialents of ABB. If i were to guess compsci at newcastle, york, notts, leeds may be in clearing and you might stand a good chance of getting in. failing that look at universites like sheffield and liverpool but make sure it is a RG (trust me it will be important for you masters application and having the chance to study at a even better university like the ones i listed in the target list) attending a semi or target will dramatically increase your employment prospects.

another thing may i add you being 25 and i assume you just want to get you head down and not be around a bunch of 18 or 19 year old who just want to party, go PRIVATE accomodation and not 1st year university halls. there will be a better mix of older ug in 2 and 3 year and even some post graduates and more international students.
Original post by Ackman

I believe this isn't the case for most fields, and although you are right for a small number of particular careers, for example investment banking, I don't believe computer science is one of those.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ackman
another thing may i add you being 25 and i assume you just want to get you head down and not be around a bunch of 18 or 19 year old who just want to party, go PRIVATE accomodation and not 1st year university halls. there will be a better mix of older ug in 2 and 3 year and even some post graduates and more international students.

thanks for the advice mate.. I'm anticipating the awkwardness of being in class with people around 18 -20... so yeah better now or never.
Original post by Ackman
Hi what are the masters options are they Target universities if you care about employment?

Wrong ... why post it twice
thanks for the advice mate.. I'm anticipating the awkwardness of being in class with people around 18 -20... so yeah better now or never.

I'd suggest a year in industry and the BSc -
Original post by Ackman
through clearing a very good chance with a level equvialents of ABB. If

RG means nothing for this degree -
Reply 18
Original post by aaron2578
I believe this isn't the case for most fields, and although you are right for a small number of particular careers, for example investment banking, I don't believe computer science is one of those.

yeah fair point, i get project and coding interviews etc are a better demonstration of your skillset. but i would still say employment prospects overall are faired better with a RG (opens more doors to more industrys) for example many compsci grads enter the field of IB/insurance etc in which case it would of been useful to go to a RG. So personally i would still aim for it.
Original post by aaron2578
Computer Science itself is a very job-secure subject in the UK and although I don't know if you plan on returning to your country after your degree, I can imagine it would be likely that there would be lots of jobs available there too as it is a fast-growing field worldwide.
In this case, I would recommend taking the year in industry as employers tend to highly value work experience, and instead of adding to your debt you can earn money in the year industry.

Also, Russell Group universities are overrated - the group establishes itself on a basis of research-intensiveness, and the research undertaken by universities has a small impact on undergraduate students. I've read the other replies and there's no need to get worried about getting into a RG university - employers care more about work experience (year in industry) than the university you attended and Swansea and Dundee are respected universities anyway, plus computer science itself is a very employable subject. Don't worry about RG universities.

If it helps I'm from India.

I'm trying my best to get a grip on how uni reputation works and honestly it's extremely hard without visiting the country and having no idea of how education works in the uk. I had a horrible career councellor who basically pushed me to apply to lower unis like Middlesex which I later realised was just done to meet their own enrollment targets etc.

the plan is to complete studies and secure work in the UK atleast to the extent that I can pay off the loan and return. It would be a nightmare to pay the exorbitant international fees and try to pay it back with a job in my home country, currency conversion wise I'd probably complete it in my 40s if I did that.

hopefully if things go as expected I hope to work for atleast a period of 4-5 years before returning back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending