The Student Room Group

Sheffield, Birmingham, York, Lancaster, or Sussex?

I’ve applied for law at Sheffield, Birmingham, York, Lancaster, and Sussex. And got all my offers back.
Can anyone advise me on which university would be best for law?
And if anyone goes to the unis- what are the pros and cons of it?

Scroll to see replies

I did law at Sheffield and rate it really highly, the nightlife and city is great too because it’s quite compact but there is loads to do and you won’t get bored in sheffield. Birmingham is also good for the above reasons. Whilst York is really good for law, the city is more well heeled and is less nightclub focused but more bar focused if that’s your thing. You will probably envounter the more driven students there, so maybe less emphasis on lifestyle
Original post by 16laggett
I’ve applied for law at Sheffield, Birmingham, York, Lancaster, and Sussex. And got all my offers back.

Hi @16laggett,

I'm a third year student at UoB, although I don't study law. I think some of the best things about Birmingham is that it's a campus university so everything is really close together so you don't have to stress going between lectures, as well as the fact is super green and pretty. Most people that go to Birmingham live within ~ 20 minute walk to campus as well so you don't have to worry about catching a bus or public transport etc. The university also has hundreds of societies and sports clubs to fill your spare time with, and there is definitely something for everyone. If you want to create a new society, you just need a group of about 10 friends to start it up so that's really easy too!

Birmingham as a city is really fun too. Broad Street is the main street for clubbing whilst Cathedral Square is home to the fancier cocktail bars etc. There are also loads of activities to do like rock climbing or bowling, if that is something that you enjoy. The only real downside is that the city centre is about a 10 minute train ride from the university so you wouldn't want to be walking home after nights out etc.

Hope this helps!

~Caitlin~
All are top unis so I am sure the law degree will be great whichever uni you pick. However, they are very different unis in setting and lifestyle. Sheffield is a city-centre uni (about 10 mins from the city centre by bus) and Sheffield has a great student feel.

Lancaster is a campus uni and pretty isolated. York is also a small campus uni but closer to the city for nights out. As the previous writer said, York a bit more reserved than Sheffield as a city - lots of tourists in the summer. If a campus uni is what you are after then I would opt for Birmingham since it has the bigger campus and is also closer to a buzzing city. If you fancy a city uni then go to Sheffield.

I cannot comment on Susses unfortunately.

Hey @16laggett,

The University of Sussex is incredibly diverse, with students and staff coming from over 100 different countries. We have more than 200 societies and clubs to choose from (Sports, Societies & Media) and the Student Union is always putting on events where you can find like-minded people and try something new. The campus is surrounded by the South Downs National Park where you can take walks and relax, and the lively city of Brighton is less than 10 mins away from the campus via a train so it's easily accessible to get into town. On-campus, we also have a number of shops, bars and cafes run by the Student Union where you can bring your new friends and hang out.

As a current third-year student studying Computer Science, I can tell you a little bit about my experience studying at Sussex. I liked that the campus was full of green open spaces, and had easy access to Brighton. Whenever I wanted to relax, I could go to the beach and sunbathe or stroll around the city centre and see what was going on in town. In terms of teaching, the lecturers and staff were very helpful and always willing to provide support. I had a fun time being on campus, joining events and meeting new people through different societies. I liked that the university was diverse, and found people I met through the university were outgoing and friendly.

Sussex Law School is a highly ranked UK Law School (Top 20 in the UK -Times Higher Education World Ranking by Subject 2021), and our courses enable you to undertake further training as a solicitor or barrister as all our degrees are qualifying law degrees. You can choose from a degree that is exclusively about law, or you can combine your law degree with other subjects including criminology, climate change and business, or do a placement year.

For more information about the undergraduate study for Law, please visit here.

I hope this helps, If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Erica (3rd Year BSc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5

I’m in a similar position, I’m dithering between Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham for Law - think I’m going to pick Sheffield and insure Birmingham - loved all 3 though so a really tough choice. Also looked at Lancaster and really loved it but not got much going on as it’s in a bit of a remote location so not thinking there anymore. Where are you leaning towards??
Reply 6
I’m thinking of Birmingham but I’m still unsure..
Reply 7
I’m choosing between Sheffield and Birmingham for my firm choice studying law. Does anyone have any insight in which is best/ someone who studies law and can tell me about what it’s like/ which employers value more?
Thank you!
I’m choosing between Sheffield and Birmingham for my firm choice studying law. Does anyone have any insight in which is best/ someone who studies law and can tell me about what it’s like/ which employers value more?
Thank you!

Hi there! I can tell you a bit about Law at Birmingham which will hopefully help with your decision. The University of Birmingham has actually been announced as the most targeted university by the top 100 graduate employers in this year's High Flier's survey so employability prospects are very strong for students who study here. The Law School in particular has a very comprehensive employability programme due to its Centre for Professional Legal Education and Research which provides loads of opportunities to help students develop their professional skills including a weekly programme of careers events, pro bono opportunities, an advocacy division, work experience placements and professionally focussed modules. There is also an annual law fair with over 60 well known law firms coming to campus to meet students. Birmingham is obviously the second city so has the second largest legal market in the UK after London, which opens up many opportunities for students.

If you want to chat to a student to hear about their experiences we have a couple of students on Unibuddy and you can contact them via the pop-up at the bottom of the Law webpages. I hope this helps!
Reply 9
I’ve got offers for both universities for LLB Law and criminology. Could anyone let me know what the unis are like Law and if you’d recommend them? I’m very stuck between which to firm as they both seem great.
I’ve got offers for both universities for LLB Law and criminology. Could anyone let me know what the unis are like Law and if you’d recommend them? I’m very stuck between which to firm as they both seem great.

Hiya! Sheffield student here!

Honestly, the School of Law at Sheffield is great from what I've seen and heard from my mates. The one thing that I know they always talk about is the employability side of things that the department always helps them with, they have loads of opportunities, mentoring, and support. Outside of the department itself, the Uni is honestly fantastic, there's loads of support for both academic and personal issues, there are hundreds (literally, 350-400) societies in the Students' Union that you can join, the nightlife is great and the city has so much to offer. Of course, because I'm speaking from my personal experience, I can't compare what it's like to study in Sheffield with Birmingham, but the only thing I'd say is that the city is a lot more student-friendly. I can tell you loads about the Uni/city, but because I may not be the best person to speak about Law here, you can chat to current students who do law here (just choose 'Law' in the 'Subjects' field).

I hope this helps, if you have any questions about anything I'd mentioned, I'm here to chat! 😊

Andreea
3rd Year, Politics & Philosophy
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hiya! Sheffield student here!

Honestly, the School of Law at Sheffield is great from what I've seen and heard from my mates. The one thing that I know they always talk about is the employability side of things that the department always helps them with, they have loads of opportunities, mentoring, and support. Outside of the department itself, the Uni is honestly fantastic, there's loads of support for both academic and personal issues, there are hundreds (literally, 350-400) societies in the Students' Union that you can join, the nightlife is great and the city has so much to offer. Of course, because I'm speaking from my personal experience, I can't compare what it's like to study in Sheffield with Birmingham, but the only thing I'd say is that the city is a lot more student-friendly. I can tell you loads about the Uni/city, but because I may not be the best person to speak about Law here, you can chat to current students who do law here (just choose 'Law' in the 'Subjects' field).

I hope this helps, if you have any questions about anything I'd mentioned, I'm here to chat! 😊

Andreea
3rd Year, Politics & Philosophy

what kind of support do you guys give? have a couple of close friends who went there and there was a lot of FOMO because they thought that other big unis got more attention from employers
I don't know if this is just me, but unis replying to posts is a big ick for me. makes them look desperate.

I mean you don't see Oxbridge or any of the top London unis on TSR lol
I think it would help looking at employable scales for each uni if thats what your concerned about. I am at Sheffield, when it comes to helping better employable skills our career service is really good, they also integrate the skills you will need in the working world in the course too. We have a careers fair every year and online calls with employees on a weekly basis, who tell you thier journey after sheffield. Compared to other city Universities Sheffield is much cheaper, living cost wise, from what ive heard from my friends that go to other russel group unis.
I am not to sure about Birmingham to be able to make a fair comparison.
Hope that helps!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by EU Yakov
what kind of support do you guys give? have a couple of close friends who went there and there was a lot of FOMO because they thought that other big unis got more attention from employers

Hey! @mazdy101 was spot on in their reply - but also just to add that Sheffield has an excellent careers service (https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/careers) and jobshop. We have a dedicated careers week every year with seminars on different aspects of job hunting/the world of work that changes faculty to faculty. We also have a job mentoring scheme which I've just completed which has really helped me with my post-university plans!

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus

Original post by daveymcloughlin
I don't know if this is just me, but unis replying to posts is a big ick for me. makes them look desperate.

Hi there! Whilst yes, this is our job, we just like giving honest opinions about university to help others decide where they would like to study. We never push anyone to apply to Sheffield in particular, it's all about finding the right uni at the end of the day. Personally I found students' own opinions on different universities really valuable when I was deciding where to apply/accept :smile:
Hey! @mazdy101 was spot on in their reply - but also just to add that Sheffield has an excellent careers service (https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/careers) and jobshop. We have a dedicated careers week every year with seminars on different aspects of job hunting/the world of work that changes faculty to faculty. We also have a job mentoring scheme which I've just completed which has really helped me with my post-university plans!

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus

Hi there! Whilst yes, this is our job, we just like giving honest opinions about university to help others decide where they would like to study. We never push anyone to apply to Sheffield in particular, it's all about finding the right uni at the end of the day. Personally I found students' own opinions on different universities really valuable when I was deciding where to apply/accept :smile:

I was hoping more for specifics e.g. which firms attend and what kind of events they throw on.

Original post by daveymcloughlin

100%
Reply 16

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus

yeah "EXCELLENT CAREER SERVICE" still translates into non target. Birmingham is the better option bigger city, more firms, more connections both are non targets but if i were to choose which one is stronger i would say Birmingham. Universities arent that helpful in practice they tend to just send you emails in your student inbox.
Original post by Ackman
yeah "EXCELLENT CAREER SERVICE" still translates into non target. Birmingham is the better option bigger city, more firms, more connections both are non targets but if i were to choose which one is stronger i would say Birmingham. Universities arent that helpful in practice they tend to just send you emails in your student inbox.

dude what are you banging on about
Reply 18
Original post by EU Yakov
dude what are you banging on about

im giving him top notch careers advice. do me a favour and search up what a target university is.
Original post by Ackman
im giving him top notch careers advice. do me a favour and search up what a target university is.

i did. comes up with investment bankers/******s bragging about going to warwick ^)^ you sure you aren't lost?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending