The Student Room Group

Tales of an Overachiever

Hello!!!

I've decided to start a GYG...so here it is!

About me:

- I'm 15 and in Year 10

- I am currently studying for GCSEs which I will sit in May/June 2022

- My subjects are (with predicted grades in brackets): Maths (8 - never had less than a 9 but the teacher doesn't give out 9s for predictions), English Language (8), English Literature (8), Biology (7), Chemistry (9), Physics (8/9), German (8), French (9), Religious Studies (9), Business (9) and Geography (9) - and maybe Further Maths next year

- My favourite subject is Geography but I also love Maths, Chemistry, French and Physics.

- My favourite sport is cricket.

What I want to do (GCSE-wise and in general):

- pass lol

- I'm aiming for all 7s and above so I can do the A-Levels I want

- I would like to do Maths + Geography + Economics at A-Level and I'm still debating about French, Chemistry and FM for a 4th

- I'd like to do something geography or economics based for a career.

What I'll have on this blog:

- My revision (weekly, maybe more often)

- Probably rant about exams lol

- My grades (will update predicteds and share test results)

How I actually revise

My Exam Boards:
- Maths - AQA
- English - AQA
- Science - OCR Gateway
- French & German - AQA
- Geography - AQA
- R.S - AQA
- Business - Edexcel

So, hopefully I'll get to know some of you and you'll get to know me!:h:

(side note: if anyone has any good quizlets for German or French please send me the link :smile:)
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey this GYG looks as if It got some potential and good luck with your GCSES:smile:
Original post by TheNotoriousEGB
Hey this GYG looks as if It got some potential and good luck with your GCSES:smile:

thank you! :h: also if EGB are your initials we have the exact same lol
(edited 2 years ago)
Thursday 6th May

Well, today I had to isolate (but luckily I'll be back in school tomorrow).

What I've revised today:

- Physics: I did a past paper on P1
- English: I revised my poetry notes + found some context for all of my poems
- R.S: I revised Religion and Life (Theme B) for a module test tomorrow.

Days until end of year exams begin: 11

Feeling nervous about them, especially because it's my first exam week ever, but I think that I'll have all of the content nailed down in time. Just got to keep reminding myself that these exams ultimately won't count for much, just give me and my teachers a better idea of what I'll get at GCSE!

Good luck to anyone who's currently sitting exams / waiting on results - you'll do brilliantly! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Monday 10th May

I've been revising hardcore these past few days.

What I've revised today:

- Maths: Did MyMaths on geometry.
- Geography: Made notes on urban topic.
- Business: Revised break-even charts

Days until end of year exams begin: 7

Not going to lie, it's starting to hit me that there's some material that I REALLY need to cover. But nevertheless I'm procrastinating, because that is what I do.

What I've done for me today:

- Watched Moana at lunch (or the first 15 minutes!)
- Had a laugh with my friends about all of the crushes we've had
- Listened to some Eric Church songs
- Finished last month's National Geographic

Good luck to anyone who's currently sitting exams / waiting on results - you'll do brilliantly! :smile: Don't forget to take care of yourself - your happiness is the most important thing. :smile:
Oh hey there!
This blog looks full of potential! It's wonderful to see!
:h:
Original post by Justaboutalive
Oh hey there!
This blog looks full of potential! It's wonderful to see!
:h:

thank you - nice to have you here! :smile:
Original post by thealphabetsays
thank you - nice to have you here! :smile:

:blush:
Your grades are looking amazing, and you've been revising hard so best of luck!
Oh dear - it's been a while since I've updated here! I promise I've been busy revising :smile:

I just though I'd update this when I get results of my mocks back, as I've finished them all now!

Maths - 47/50 (9)
English Lit - 48/62 (8)
Biology - 52/62 (9)
Chemistry - 47/50 (9)
Physics - 64/65 (9)
German - 118/120 (9)
French - 158/162 (9)
R.S - 82/96 (8)
Geography - 40/41 (9)
Business - 55/60 (9)
(edited 2 years ago)
Oh dear - it's been a while since I've updated here! I promise I've been busy revising :smile:

I hope your revision is going well!! certainly looks like it has been, these are BRILLIANT scores, you should be proud of yourself! if you're doing tags on this thread, I would love to be, and best of luck!
Original post by saffron <3
I hope your revision is going well!! certainly looks like it has been, these are BRILLIANT scores, you should be proud of yourself! if you're doing tags on this thread, I would love to be, and best of luck!

Thank you so much! I will be sure to tag you in updates!! :smile:
Today: cramming Physics for a forgotten test (oops) on Waves in Matter.

I've been getting my mock scores back and I'm SO happy with them. So far I've had 4 back, and 4x 9s! I am due Geography back tomorrow, so we shall see if all 9s remains - probably not, I think I rushed Geography too much. English will also probably not be a 9 as it is definitely not my strong suit.

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
15th June

I got back German yesterday. Somehow I only dropped two marks in the reading and got full marks in the writing, so I am incredibly happy with that.

I am due English lit today, and I don't think I did amazingly in that, however we shall see. Currently on six 9s?? But I think that English will break this streak. If not English then certainly R.S.

Hope that everyone is taking care of themselves! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
15th June

I got back German yesterday. Somehow I only dropped two marks in the reading and got full marks in the writing, so I am incredibly happy with that.

I am due English lit today, and I don't think I did amazingly in that, however we shall see. Currently on six 9s?? But I think that English will break this streak. If not English then certainly R.S.

Hope that everyone is taking care of themselves! :smile:

Hey, Im in year 10 aswell and im doing my mocks i haven't done as well as i hoped for though i got a 34/90 in chemistry which is probably only like a 3 can u give me some tips on revsion i feel like no matter how much i work i do my scores always stay the same.
Original post by M.ayEL
Hey, Im in year 10 aswell and im doing my mocks i haven't done as well as i hoped for though i got a 34/90 in chemistry which is probably only like a 3 can u give me some tips on revsion i feel like no matter how much i work i do my scores always stay the same.

Before you leave the classroom after a lesson, make sure that you 100% understand the content that has been covered. If you don't - ask the teacher either during the lesson or at lunchtime. It's so much better to keep on top of the content rather than realising you don't know it when you go to start revising - if your chemistry teacher explains it, rather than a revision guide, chances are you'll find it easier to grasp.

I think making sure you're paying attention is important too - that's something I used to struggle with and it no doubt brought my grades down.

Best of luck to you! If there's any particular area of chem you are struggling with let me know, and I can try to help you out. :h:
19TH JUNE 2021

I've now had all of my mocks back! I got eight 9s and two 8s - I am delighted with this.

I also got the forgotten Physics test back in which I got a 9 :smile:.

This weekend, I:

- am revising for English language + Chemistry
- got some economics books from the library
- am doing some more of a Harvard course (Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies). This course is so interesting and it's confirming that Econ is what I want to do at university.
- am mulling over potential A-Level choices (I have narrowed it down to: Maths, further maths, chem, physics, econ, geography, french). I am literally stuck besides Maths and FM which are certain.

I hope that everyone is doing well! Make sure that you are taking time for yourselves but also working hard when you are working! :smile:
Look at what you might want to do in the future - (would recommend Oxford's earth sciences course based on your interests).
Physics/Chem can often be more asked for for Geography courses compared to actual geography (but check me on that), and maybe taking an essay subject could keep options open (econ, geog, french)
(edited 2 years ago)
19TH JUNE 2021

I've now had all of my mocks back! I got eight 9s and two 8s - I am delighted with this.

I also got the forgotten Physics test back in which I got a 9 :smile:.

This weekend, I:

- am revising for English language + Chemistry
- got some economics books from the library
- am doing some more of a Harvard course (Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies). This course is so interesting and it's confirming that Econ is what I want to do at university.
- am mulling over potential A-Level choices (I have narrowed it down to: Maths, further maths, chem, physics, econ, geography, french). I am literally stuck besides Maths and FM which are certain.

I hope that everyone is doing well! Make sure that you are taking time for yourselves but also working hard when you are working! :smile:

What did you get in your final GCSEs? if you don’t mind sharing them.
Original post by Harrison hawe
What did you get in your final GCSEs? if you don’t mind sharing them.

i got 12 9s which was very unexpected but i'm obviously delighted!! :smile:
I wish you the best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending