The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Mature Students @ Salford

Hi,

I'm 22 and am starting at Salford in September to study Journalism & English Lit. Anyone else here my sort of age or a bit older?

Will they take my age into account when I apply for accomodation? It would be nice to be placed with at least one or two people who are in a similar situation to me...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll be 21 by the time I go to University, I've put salford as a choice. Hopefully I will get a place I will be studying English language and English literature.
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm in second year, I'm 20 and living at home but I'm mates with quite a few people in their mid-twenties on the same course as me and some people a bit older too.
Yeah i am planning on going to salford in september and i am 25!!!i am gonna be an old man compared to you guys.Hopefully get on the applied sports science degree
Reply 4
By the time I get to Salford I'll be at least 23 so I'll be classed as "mature" even if I have a mental age of 7 =P
Reply 5
I'm 23 now, I start in September and will be almost 24! My family all think I'm a bit past it to be going to uni as I buggered up the first time round but better late than never. They're writing me off as a pensioner I'm sure...
Reply 6
You being 22 and calling yourself a mature student makes feel ancient lol
I am exactly 10 years older and starting a MA in Septembre at Salford. I am really excited.

Good luck to you.
I'll be almost 24 when I start in September.
Reply 8

Hi,

I'm 23 and applied to Salford two weeks ago - everything has happened really fast, I had an audition last week and got an unconditional offer for BA Hons Media and Performance which I've accepted! I'm so excited, I'll be nearly 24 when I start in Sept as my birthday is October. So I'll be classed as a mature student too - I've lived away from home since I was 19 when I first went to uni and buggered it up as well, so I'll still be living in my own place with my boyfriend and working, hopefully, around the course - no intention of living in halls but I hope this won't affect my making friends etc

It's weird because 23 is still so young but a lot has happened in the 5years since I left school - I'm sure a lot of you feel the same - and I feel really old sometimes! I'm glad to see there are other mature students - is anyone else studying the same or a similar course?

Thanks for reading, Amy x
Reply 9
I'm 25 and starting in September. I'm staying in the IQ, and i ticked a box on the form to ask to live with other mature students. I think you also have that option with the Uni's halls :smile:

Helen XxX
Reply 10
helen_g
I'm 25 and starting in September. I'm staying in the IQ, and i ticked a box on the form to ask to live with other mature students. I think you also have that option with the Uni's halls :smile:

Helen XxX

That's where I'm staying, and I ticked that option too. :smile:

I can't believe how quickly the time has come round, I leave my job 5 weeks tomorrow. I keep veering between excitement and sheer terror. :eek3:
Hi there, i'm with Sauzy2009... i turn 30 in Nov 09 and so will be an old foggie compared with most folks on here!! :/ Already been to university when I was 18, got a degree and I'm really looking forward to doing it again with an older, wiser(!??) head on my shoulders. I think this second time around will be even better tbh.
Reply 12
Hi all im 23 and going to salford and was fully ******** it about going but after reading all your comments its taken the weight off so big thank you :smile: !
I am 31 and will be 32 when i go back next year! I already have a degree from when i was 19. I'll be starting mental health nursing in Jan 2022. Super excited, but well aware I will probably be the eldest in the class.
Original post by pamalamalam
I am 31 and will be 32 when i go back next year! I already have a degree from when i was 19. I'll be starting mental health nursing in Jan 2022. Super excited, but well aware I will probably be the eldest in the class.

Hi @pamalamalam,

Great to hear you're so excited - we're looking forward to you joining us! I think you'll be surprised about the age range of your classmates though, my money's on you not being anywhere near the oldest so don't worry about that!

Let me know if you've any questions at all :smile:

Alison
University of Salford
Original post by University of Salford
Hi @pamalamalam,

Great to hear you're so excited - we're looking forward to you joining us! I think you'll be surprised about the age range of your classmates though, my money's on you not being anywhere near the oldest so don't worry about that!

Let me know if you've any questions at all :smile:

Alison
University of Salford

Wonderful! thank you, that makes me feel a lot better :smile:
Original post by pamalamalam

I will be nearly 34 when I start my MA in Public Health next month!
Original post by NGuttridge
I will be nearly 34 when I start my MA in Public Health next month!

Morning @NGuttridge

Great to hear your returning to study later in life - I am 48 and entering the second year at Uni I am loving it :yeah:. If you want to know any information about Salford just ask.

Clare
Student Ambassador
Original post by University of Salford Student Rep
Morning @NGuttridge

Great to hear your returning to study later in life - I am 48 and entering the second year at Uni I am loving it :yeah:. If you want to know any information about Salford just ask.

Clare
Student Ambassador

Thanks so much! I am a qualified social worker but its been a while since I've studied! I am just waiting to get some official info regarding start date/timetables etc so i can advise my employers, but I am sure it'll arrive soon 🤞
Original post by NGuttridge
Thanks so much! I am a qualified social worker but its been a while since I've studied! I am just waiting to get some official info regarding start date/timetables etc so i can advise my employers, but I am sure it'll arrive soon 🤞

Hi @NGuttridge,

As you are a January starter, you will still get regular emails from us, but it will be a month or two before the information regarding registration and induction is due to be sent out. In the meantime, if you do have any questions about the modules, teaching methods, or the course as a whole, you can get in touch with your course tutor here.

Kind regards,
Ben
University of Salford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending