The Student Room Group

how to calculate enthalpy of combustions using values of ΔHf

Hi guys,
So basically, I need to calculate enthalpy of combustion but I saw my values are in ΔHf/kjmol. SO now im confused as to how to do the enthalpy cycle, should I do it as just enthalpy of formation ? or are there further steps.

Basically would it look like this? or how would the arrows be and how would I deduce the enthalpy of combustion cycle .JPG
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Fa123123
Hi guys,
So basically, I need to calculate enthalpy of combustion but I saw my values are in ΔHf/kjmol. SO now im confused as to how to do the enthalpy cycle, should I do it as just enthalpy of formation ? or are there further steps.

Basically would it look like this? or how would the arrows be and how would I deduce the enthalpy of combustion cycle .JPG

You've kind of got confused with bond enthalpy, which shows the bottom line as gaseous atoms, and formation enthalpy.

Check out this video:

(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by charco
You've kind of got confused with bond enthalpy, which shows the bottom line as gaseous atoms, and formation enthalpy.

Check out this video:

sorry but that kind of confused me, I still do not understand, can you maybe help me out with a pic or example of this pls
Reply 3
1 sec this is what i did
Hi guys,

Enthalpy of combustion = enthalpy of formation of products - enthalpy of formatiom of reactants
Reply 5
Tbh Idk if this is right or not 😂20210510_215332.jpg
Reply 6
@smart ppl i.e @xsowmix @cactus11235813 hop in here

also some1 check what i did pls
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
typo

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by .Dezer.
@smart ppl i.e @CoochieMan @xsowmix @Hellohsjakodsmka @cactus11235813 hop in here

also some1 check what i did pls

it looks right
they've given formation data so the arrows shld be pointing upwards which op made a lil mistake on
Reply 9
Original post by xsowmix
it looks right
they've given formation data so the arrows shld be pointing upwards which op made a lil mistake on

wait is what i did right??
Original post by .Dezer.
wait is what i did right??

yh yh it's right

why u surprised lol
Original post by xsowmix
yh yh it's right

why u surprised lol

idk cus i have always hated that topic my teacher actually sucks for inorganic so i have to teach myself it and this part of enthalpy changes always confused me but i finally get it now i think

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 14
Original post by .Dezer.
Tbh Idk if this is right or not 😂20210510_215332.jpg

thank you so much man!!! so i just needa keep my arrows up thats all. Was your answer 3117.8 kjmol-1
(edited 2 years ago)
thank you so much man!!! so i just needa keep my arrows up thats all. Was your answer 3117.8 kjmol-1

np man! I didnt get an answer as i didnt have the full question but if you follow the method i showed you, you defo got the answer right my guy :wink:

Peace :bandit:

Quick Reply

Latest