The Student Room Group

Year 11 (taking A Level STEM subjects)

Hey,
I wanna use this as a chat to make friends with people doing similar A levels to me/anyone who wants to chat about the current GCSE situation. So, what's everyone taking and interested in taking at uni? I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics (maybe spanish or bio instead of physics) I am considering taking Maths at uni 😊

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MeleA
Hey,
I wanna use this as a chat to make friends with people doing similar A levels to me/anyone who wants to chat about the current GCSE situation. So, what's everyone taking and interested in taking at uni? I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics (maybe spanish or bio instead of physics) I am considering taking Maths at uni 😊

heya, im taking spanish, french, maths and fm (maybe italian or phys instead of one of the other mfl). im also thinking of maths at uni haha
how's your school doing gcses this year in terms of evidence?
Original post by MeleA
Hey,

Hey,
For A Levels im planning on taking biology, chemistry, Physics and and EPQ and im planning on perusing medicine in university hopefully.
Reply 3
Hey! I'm taking Maths, Bio, Chem and Psychology.
I'm also looking at medicine at university.
Reply 4
Original post by 5seongtae
heya, im taking spanish, french, maths and fm (maybe italian or phys instead of one of the other mfl). im also thinking of maths at uni haha
how's your school doing gcses this year in terms of evidence?

heya! That was my options at one point this year. I do love languages so much but I'm not sure how useful they are going to be for me in the future but you should deff do them. I'm still so on the fence for A Level options- I love everything!
GCSEs are going great- I am on track for straight 9s in Maths, FM, Triple Science, French, Spanish, English Lit+Lang, Geo, RS. At our school we are using mocks and a series of mini assessments as evidence as luckily we were able to sit January mocks in school.
How is your GCSE year going and what are you currently taking??
Reply 5
Original post by millie673
Hey,
For A Levels im planning on taking biology, chemistry, Physics and and EPQ and im planning on perusing medicine in university hopefully.

Triple science!!! What is making you consider medicine? Which of the 3 sciences is your favourite + why? I still am unsure which 2 to take for A Level alongside maths. Good luck with the end of GCSEs!
Reply 6
Original post by kk15405
Hey! I'm taking Maths, Bio, Chem and Psychology.
I'm also looking at medicine at university.

What's making you consider medicine? Also, what's your favourite GCSE subject currently? Good luck with everything! 😊
Original post by MeleA
Triple science!!! What is making you consider medicine? Which of the 3 sciences is your favourite + why? I still am unsure which 2 to take for A Level alongside maths. Good luck with the end of GCSEs!

yeah triple science its gonna be a tough year next year for me but oh well. i choose because one my dad is a doctor and i wanna follow in his footsteps and i just find the idea of the human body so fascinating i love like helping people. My favourite science has to be chemistry bc its an easy science i feel like once you get it you get it and it really interesting. Also good luck with ur GCSEs.
Also i was wondering how is ur school collecting evidence for ur GCSEs?
Reply 8
yeah triple science its gonna be a tough year next year for me but oh well. i choose because one my dad is a doctor and i wanna follow in his footsteps and i just find the idea of the human body so fascinating i love like helping people. My favourite science has to be chemistry bc its an easy science i feel like once you get it you get it and it really interesting. Also good luck with ur GCSEs.
Also i was wondering how is ur school collecting evidence for ur GCSEs?

I agree with Chemistry- it's the best science! I defo think you should do medicine it sounds right for you. For evidence we have:
January mock (sat in school/full set of papers) This is probably 50% of our grade.
Since 2 weeks before easter we have had a series of mini assessments for example sections of papers broken up into 45 minute sessions and our exams finish this Wednesday. On average this has been 7/8 per week. How has your school been doing evidence?
Original post by MeleA
heya! That was my options at one point this year. I do love languages so much but I'm not sure how useful they are going to be for me in the future but you should deff do them. I'm still so on the fence for A Level options- I love everything!
GCSEs are going great- I am on track for straight 9s in Maths, FM, Triple Science, French, Spanish, English Lit+Lang, Geo, RS. At our school we are using mocks and a series of mini assessments as evidence as luckily we were able to sit January mocks in school.
How is your GCSE year going and what are you currently taking??

yeah i also am not too sure abt how useful langs will be (as in to take more than 1), so im on the fence of taking phys or philosophy. i like quite a lot of subjects at gcse but for a level? not sure.
i do eng lit+lang, maths, fm, triple sci, french, spanish, dance, rs. my school is making us do assessments (they vary from mini to whole papers) on content weve done so its actually not too rough atm
im confident ill get 9s in maths, fm, french and eng lit+lang but not too sure for the others ngl... spanish could be an 8 since im quite bad at the writing and sciences will be at least an 8, and dance and rs i have no idea ngl because weve never really done formal tests for them. im targeted 7s but i hope i get more tbh
Original post by MeleA
Hey,

Personally would keep physics in there. It comes out as one of the most strongest mathematical subjects aside from mathematics & FM itself.
Original post by MeleA
I agree with Chemistry- it's the best science! I defo think you should do medicine it sounds right for you. For evidence we have:
January mock (sat in school/full set of papers) This is probably 50% of our grade.
Since 2 weeks before easter we have had a series of mini assessments for example sections of papers broken up into 45 minute sessions and our exams finish this Wednesday. On average this has been 7/8 per week. How has your school been doing evidence?

welll our school hasnt done a mock are last formal exam was at the start of Septemer. But now we have been given exams for every subject every two week. so we've had alot of exam. i have 7 exam this week which isnt very good, its very stressful.
Reply 12
yeah i also am not too sure abt how useful langs will be (as in to take more than 1), so im on the fence of taking phys or philosophy. i like quite a lot of subjects at gcse but for a level? not sure.
i do eng lit+lang, maths, fm, triple sci, french, spanish, dance, rs. my school is making us do assessments (they vary from mini to whole papers) on content weve done so its actually not too rough atm
im confident ill get 9s in maths, fm, french and eng lit+lang but not too sure for the others ngl... spanish could be an 8 since im quite bad at the writing and sciences will be at least an 8, and dance and rs i have no idea ngl because weve never really done formal tests for them. im targeted 7s but i hope i get more tbh

Those are fantastic grades! A Levels are so hard to pick, I just LOVE maths so I may end up picking my subjects around that at this point. Also, the teachers make so much difference!! Like I love my Bio/Spanish teachers but physics I'm not too keen on so it makes the decision so much harder!
When do you finish up for summer? Also, which unis are you thinking about applying for for maths? (Ik there's like 2yrs until then)
Reply 13
welll our school hasnt done a mock are last formal exam was at the start of Septemer. But now we have been given exams for every subject every two week. so we've had alot of exam. i have 7 exam this week which isnt very good, its very stressful.

I agree- the schools are putting a ridiculous amount of pressure on students. I'm so glad my school were able to do January mocks irl because it's a good baseline to have. When are you finishing assessments/for summer?
Original post by MeleA
What's making you consider medicine? Also, what's your favourite GCSE subject currently? Good luck with everything! 😊

I enjoy sciences a lot I guess and I guess my childhood dream job was to become a doctor aha :smile:
At the moment my favourite GCSE subject is Biology what about you?
Reply 15
atm I am loving further maths!! However, I love sciences and languages also. Are you going to do any of your choices to AS?
Original post by MeleA
I agree- the schools are putting a ridiculous amount of pressure on students. I'm so glad my school were able to do January mocks irl because it's a good baseline to have. When are you finishing assessments/for summer?

well we should finish all our exams by may half term but after may have term we have this sixth form bridging course
Reply 17
well we should finish all our exams by may half term but after may have term we have this sixth form bridging course

ooo fun, well ig you would probs rather be on summer. I would actually like doing a bridging course because I'm still so torn on what to take as a forth a level. When did your exams start? Good luck with all your remaining exams- you'll do great!!
Original post by MeleA
Those are fantastic grades! A Levels are so hard to pick, I just LOVE maths so I may end up picking my subjects around that at this point. Also, the teachers make so much difference!! Like I love my Bio/Spanish teachers but physics I'm not too keen on so it makes the decision so much harder!
When do you finish up for summer? Also, which unis are you thinking about applying for for maths? (Ik there's like 2yrs until then)

Oxbridge or UCL (Maths & MFL double), we finish on the 28th.
and you?
Reply 19
Oxbridge or UCL (Maths & MFL double), we finish on the 28th.
and you?

we finish on 20th. uni wise oxbridge and probably like exeter, durham etc

Quick Reply

Latest