The Student Room Group

Should I go to the GP for tiredness?

I feel very tired all the time, like very drowsy and weak in a sense and lethargic. It's been going on for about 4 months now. In addition to this I feel very cold a lot of the time when most people aren't and it'll take a long time to warm up.
I take multivitamins and vitamin D on top of that so I feel like there is a very low chance it could be a deficiency of some sort. I also sleep enough, 8.5 hours most days and more on the weekends as I can sleep for ages.
Basically, I don't want to waste the doctors time if its just tiredness but I'm not sure if I should acc go or not.
What do you think?
Thank you
I had this but never went to doctors. I went finally and I have iron deficiency I take 200mg tablets
Original post by Anonymous
I feel very tired all the time, like very drowsy and weak in a sense and lethargic. It's been going on for about 4 months now. In addition to this I feel very cold a lot of the time when most people aren't and it'll take a long time to warm up.
I take multivitamins and vitamin D on top of that so I feel like there is a very low chance it could be a deficiency of some sort. I also sleep enough, 8.5 hours most days and more on the weekends as I can sleep for ages.
Basically, I don't want to waste the doctors time if its just tiredness but I'm not sure if I should acc go or not.
What do you think?
Thank you

I think you should see your GP. Sounds like iron deficiency to me, but could be anything. Best to get it checked out.
Reply 3
Go book a GP appointment. Then you can figure out after if you need a follow up or lifestyle change. 4 months is long enough.
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
I think you should see your GP. Sounds like iron deficiency to me, but could be anything. Best to get it checked out.

I considered iron deficiency but surely that's not possible since I've been taking multivitamins for almost at year?
Hypothyroidism has those symptoms. Definitely not a waste of GP time.
Reply 6
Your GP may check you vit D levels and blood with some random questions also. Your not wasting their time at all.
Reply 7
Original post by Sabertooth
Hypothyroidism has those symptoms. Definitely not a waste of GP time.

True but all other symptoms are lacking such as hair loss, scaly skin and weight gain so highly unlikely to be this too imo
True but all other symptoms are lacking such as hair loss, scaly skin and weight gain so highly unlikely to be this too imo

I have hypothyroidism without hair loss or scaly skin. You don't need 100% of the symptoms so I wouldn't say "highly unlikely" it's possible.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
I have hypothyroidism without hair loss or scaly skin. You don't need 100% of the symptoms so I wouldn't say "highly unlikely" it's possible.

Fair, I guess they might potentially run a thyroid function test but I doubt it since there are so few symptoms to suggest it. I guess I just feel bad bc I really don't want to waste their time. They must be really busy with load of other people due to the pandemic
Fair, I guess they might potentially run a thyroid function test but I doubt it since there are so few symptoms to suggest it. I guess I just feel bad bc I really don't want to waste their time. They must be really busy with load of other people due to the pandemic

You (or your parents at least) pay towards the NHS and your symptoms at your age are not normal. Don't worry about "wasting time".
You could try running your symptoms via a pharmacist or 111 and see if they recommend a GP appointment or have other advice.

Eh, the pandemic is gonna be around for a while. No point struggling with fatigue for no reason. Go to your GP. They might test for your thyroid and various other things.
You (or your parents at least) pay towards the NHS and your symptoms at your age are not normal. Don't worry about "wasting time".

Yeah ok, I'll make an appointment. Thank you
Original post by Pathway
Eh, the pandemic is gonna be around for a while. No point struggling with fatigue for no reason. Go to your GP. They might test for your thyroid and various other things.

ok, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest