The Student Room Group

Aberystwyth University or Swansea University ( Data Science / Computer Science )

Hi guys, I am an international student and I'm applying for Data Science MSc in the UK.
I applied for Aberystwyth and Swansea university and got accept in both of them.
Could please help me choose ? I know I have to decide for myself but just I need other points of view it might help.
I looked up Aberystwyth university in Computer Science ranking, and it's not even ranked ( aside from ThecompleteUniversityguide ranking )
Whereas Swansea is ranked 200 in TimeshigherEducation and 500 in QS, and it has pretty much the same ranking with Aberystwyth on ThecompleteUniversityGuide.
I'm kinda lost because, I don't wanna spend a lot of money and fail to get a job ( or even just an interview because the university ranking does have an impact on getting the interviews in the first step )
So Generally I think Swansea university is Better, But still I don't think that Aberystwyth is bad either. Could you please share any information if you know how things go for MSc Data Science ( or Computer Science in general ), for both Swansea and Aberystwyth universities ? Because I don't wanna struggle finding a job. Your help is much appreciated ! Thank you guys !
Are you used to living in a city or a smaller town?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Are you used to living in a city or a smaller town?

I love smaller towns, I am more of an introverted person. But that doesn't mean I can't tolerate big cities, I'm currently living in a city of 4 million people.
So to answer your question I would say that I have no preference, or that I'm okay with both. Really what matters for me is getting a job, which University would make it easier ( or just slightly easier than the other because I know both are great universities ). I'am afraid the employers could check the ranking of my uni before calling me for an interview and because Aberystwyth is not ranked I might miss some opportunities ? I'm an international student so I don't really know how it is in the uk, so please forgive me if I'm saying wrong things.
They’re both very good universities and neither are going to be a problem for employability. The complete uni guide and other UK rankings are based on undergraduate courses so completely irrelevant for masters courses.

What are your feelings about the modules/topics in each degree?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
They’re both very good universities and neither are going to be a problem for employability. The complete uni guide and other UK rankings are based on undergraduate courses so completely irrelevant for masters courses.

What are your feelings about the modules/topics in each degree?

They are very very similar, I would say from a Data Science point of view, they are almost the same.
But I think that those rankings are also based on masters courses aren't they ?
I appreciate your help !
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Webly12
Hi guys, I am an international student and I'm applying for Data Science MSc in the UK.
I applied for Aberystwyth and Swansea university and got accept in both of them.
Could please help me choose ? I know I have to decide for myself but just I need other points of view it might help.
I looked up Aberystwyth university in Computer Science ranking, and it's not even ranked ( aside from ThecompleteUniversityguide ranking )
Whereas Swansea is ranked 200 in TimeshigherEducation and 500 in QS, and it has pretty much the same ranking with Aberystwyth on ThecompleteUniversityGuide.
I'm kinda lost because, I don't wanna spend a lot of money and fail to get a job ( or even just an interview because the university ranking does have an impact on getting the interviews in the first step )
So Generally I think Swansea university is Better, But still I don't think that Aberystwyth is bad either. Could you please share any information if you know how things go for MSc Data Science ( or Computer Science in general ), for both Swansea and Aberystwyth universities ? Because I don't wanna struggle finding a job. Your help is much appreciated ! Thank you guys !

I'm just quoting my post for display bugs
UK league tables are based solely on undergraduate courses. The subject tables in the times and complete rankings use student survey, entry qualifications and graduate jobs of students on undergraduate courses ONLY. Nothing relevant to postgraduates.

If the courses are similar too then I wouldn’t worry too much about picking the “right” one. Maybe ask if they can put you in touch with a student who is studying the course at the moment. Or have a look at the research interests and publications of the staff to see if there’s any specific topics or areas that appeal to you.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
UK league tables are based solely on undergraduate courses. The subject tables in the times and complete rankings use student survey, entry qualifications and graduate jobs of students on undergraduate courses ONLY. Nothing relevant to postgraduates.

If the courses are similar too then I wouldn’t worry too much about picking the “right” one. Maybe ask if they can put you in touch with a student who is studying the course at the moment. Or have a look at the research interests and publications of the staff to see if there’s any specific topics or areas that appeal to you.

Do those rankings affect my employability ? That's what concerns me most, because this MSc is very expensive, and I'm afraid of not being able to get a job just because my university is unranked ( eventhough it is a postgraduate degree ).
Original post by Webly12
Do those rankings affect my employability ? That's what concerns me most, because this MSc is very expensive, and I'm afraid of not being able to get a job just because my university is unranked ( eventhough it is a postgraduate degree ).

I don't know of any employer that looks at or considers university rankings when deciding who to employ. If you're worried then you can always approach HR at specific employers to check with them whether that's part of their selection process.
Go to Aber. Its a fabulous smaller Uni in an incredible location, and has a solid academic reputation.

Swansea is not a great place to be a student, and the Uni is split between two campuses which means you are always in the wrong place for whatever is going on.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
I don't know of any employer that looks at or considers university rankings when deciding who to employ. If you're worried then you can always approach HR at specific employers to check with them whether that's part of their selection process.

I try to do that, but HR don't reply.
Reply 11
Original post by McGinger
Go to Aber. Its a fabulous smaller Uni in an incredible location, and has a solid academic reputation.

Swansea is not a great place to be a student, and the Uni is split between two campuses which means you are always in the wrong place for whatever is going on.

I think Swansea is also a great place to be a student.
My only criteria is university's reputation. Which university has more prestige ? According to many ranking systems QS ranking, TimesHigher , shanghai ranking AWUR, CWUR ... Swansea seems to be doing very well compared to Aberystwyth which is at the moment still unranked.
How about international reputation, which one has better reputation ?
Reply 12
Hey, as others said above don't look at tables and ratings as they aren't very important, especially not for something STEM. Look at the actual modules and what you'd be taking as that's what employer's care about.

Both uni's are good, but if I were to choose for myself I'd go for Swansea just for the simple fact that it's a bigger uni, has a lot of industry connections and one of its best traits is employability, but like I said don't base it on prestige rather than content.
Reply 13
Original post by amorae
Hey, as others said above don't look at tables and ratings as they aren't very important, especially not for something STEM. Look at the actual modules and what you'd be taking as that's what employer's care about.

Both uni's are good, but if I were to choose for myself I'd go for Swansea just for the simple fact that it's a bigger uni, has a lot of industry connections and one of its best traits is employability, but like I said don't base it on prestige rather than content.

Thank you for your advice.
About the content as I mentioned above, they are almost the same, same modules same topics etc.
But you are right, Swansea is a bigger uni so more industry connections and employability. Do you think Aberystwyth has enough connections to get a job too ? Because I kinda like the city there more than Swansea. So I would love to go there and not pay the price of not finding a job.
Thank you again for your reply
Reply 14
Original post by Webly12
Thank you for your advice.
About the content as I mentioned above, they are almost the same, same modules same topics etc.
But you are right, Swansea is a bigger uni so more industry connections and employability. Do you think Aberystwyth has enough connections to get a job too ? Because I kinda like the city there more than Swansea. So I would love to go there and not pay the price of not finding a job.
Thank you again for your reply

Aberystwyth definitely has enough connections, both uni's are well known and have good reputations in the UK. I've went through the pain of trying to find a job, and I found that employers never actually care about your uni but more on what you did while at uni, and since both Aberystwyth and Swansea both have the same modules choose based on which city/uni you'd enjoy more. In short, you really can't go wrong with either uni.
Original post by Webly12
Do you think Aberystwyth has enough connections to get a job

It's you that gets the job - not the Uni.
You do not come out of any Uni with a barcode on your forehead that guarantees you a graduate job or lifelong happiness.
What will matter is that you get a 2i or a First, what you did at Uni apart from study, and what relevant work experience you have.
Reply 16
Original post by amorae
Aberystwyth definitely has enough connections, both uni's are well known and have good reputations in the UK. I've went through the pain of trying to find a job, and I found that employers never actually care about your uni but more on what you did while at uni, and since both Aberystwyth and Swansea both have the same modules choose based on which city/uni you'd enjoy more. In short, you really can't go wrong with either uni.

Thank you so much for you answer, thank you:adore:. It really helps a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending