The Student Room Group

How important is achieving a good first degree if I'm leaving it

Hello,

I'm currently in my first year of university doing a course that I'm not going to do, starting from next year. This is due to a number of reasons, the most important one being I have found an extreme passion for another course. I have applied to another university and have received an unconditional offer so I know for certain I'm going to leave this course. While doing this course I'm resitting 3 A levels and therefore have exams for the A levels while the degree exams this month.

I value my A-level exams much more than my degree exams because that will go on my CV whereas I don't have to put my current degree on my CV. I'm looking at applying for a master's in Cambridge, UCL, LSE, or Warwick, and so will the current degree (which is not at all relevant to the degree that I'm going to do next year) have any impact on my application to those universities for masters.
Could I just leave it out of my application like how I'm planning to leave it out for my CV? Do the grades I achieve right now matter at all assuming I'm going to start a new course on a fresh plate?

Sorry if this all sounds so confusing. I would appreciate any help, thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)
If you complete the first year of a degree then you’ll normally be awarded a CertHE qualification. A CertHE is a pass/fail qualification.

So - if you want a qualification to show for your time this year to avoid a missing year in your CV then it’s worth completing and PASSing the first year assessments. But if you’re not motivated then there’s no need to aim for a high mark - “ok” is quite alright. Getting 100% in your CertHE or 40% you’ll get exactly the same certificate:wink:
Original post by anonymous1924
Hello,

I'm currently in my first year of university doing a course that I'm not going to do, starting from next year. This is due to a number of reasons, the most important one being I have found an extreme passion for another course. I have applied to another university and have received an unconditional offer so I know for certain I'm going to leave this course. While doing this course I'm resitting 3 A levels and therefore have exams for the A levels while the degree exams this month.

I value my A-level exams much more than my degree exams because that will go on my CV whereas I don't have to put my current degree on my CV. I'm looking at applying for a master's in Cambridge, UCL, LSE, or Warwick, and so will the current degree (which is not at all relevant to the degree that I'm going to do next year) have any impact on my application to those universities for masters.
Could I just leave it out of my application like how I'm planning to leave it out for my CV? Do the grades I achieve right now matter at all assuming I'm going to start a new course on a fresh plate?

Sorry if this all sounds so confusing. I would appreciate any help, thank you.

The course of your life is the course of your life, there's no avoiding it. if in the future you are directly asked to report all the universities you have attended then you have to reveal the first university. if you are not asked such a specific question, then you could in theory say nothing about it and mask this year as a retaking of new A levels.

You are thinking too far ahead. You haven't got an undergrad degree yet, there's no point worrying about hypothetical futures.
Original post by PQ
If you complete the first year of a degree then you’ll normally be awarded a CertHE qualification. A CertHE is a pass/fail qualification.

So - if you want a qualification to show for your time this year to avoid a missing year in your CV then it’s worth completing and PASSing the first year assessments. But if you’re not motivated then there’s no need to aim for a high mark - “ok” is quite alright. Getting 100% in your CertHE or 40% you’ll get exactly the same certificate:wink:

Thank you. So just to clarify it doesn't matter what grades I achieve as long as I pass because to withdraw after first year the certificate doesn't say whether I achieved a first or a third? Does this apply both to the CV and Postgraduate application? Thank you.

Original post by threeportdrift
The course of your life is the course of your life, there's no avoiding it. if in the future you are directly asked to report all the universities you have attended then you have to reveal the first university. if you are not asked such a specific question, then you could in theory say nothing about it and mask this year as a retaking of new A levels.

You are thinking too far ahead. You haven't got an undergrad degree yet, there's no point worrying about hypothetical futures.

Honestly, I just want this part of my life finished and don't want to look back because I found it is so difficult to study for a degree that I'm not interested in any way. I was swayed in because of my parents but I do take the blame for going ahead with it. So just to clarify, when applying for postgraduate applications eg. masters at Cambridge I will not have to state the grade I get this year because the course is not related in any way to the new course that I want to pursue and eventually do a masters in. These are realistic goals; I'm certain I'm going to try my best for my new undergrad degree and it is a very good university (for the course I've applied for).
(edited 2 years ago)
Additionally, why does it say that some transfer students need to achieve 60% in modules in order to transfer to university? Is this just focussed towards those who are doing the same degree but want to move to university and start from their second year?
Thank you. So just to clarify it doesn't matter what grades I achieve as long as I pass because to withdraw after first year the certificate doesn't say whether I achieved a first or a third? Does this apply both to the CV and Postgraduate application? Thank you.

Honestly, I just want this part of my life finished and don't want to look back because I found it is so difficult to study for a degree that I'm not interested in any way. I was swayed in because of my parents but I do take the blame for going ahead with it. So just to clarify, when applying for postgraduate applications eg. masters at Cambridge I will not have to state the grade I get this year because the course is not related in any way to the new course that I want to pursue and eventually do a masters in. These are realistic goals; I'm certain I'm going to try my best for my new undergrad degree and it is a very good university (for the course I've applied for).

You can put whatever you like on your CV.

You should double check with your university regulations but in every case I know of a CertHE qualification is pass/fail. The certificate won’t include any grade/classification/percentage.

In theory an employer or university can ask to see a transcript of marks but it’s unlikely that that they’ll be that interested once you complete an entire degree.
Additionally, why does it say that some transfer students need to achieve 60% in modules in order to transfer to university? Is this just focussed towards those who are doing the same degree but want to move to university and start from their second year?

Where does it state that?

You have to answer the question you are asked in application forms accurately (otherwise it is fraud). You will likely be asked about institutions you have attended and grades achieved, in which case you would have to mention this first attempt at a degree. Its relevance is irrelevant.

However, you are imagining a scenario where this is a black mark on your academic record. It isn't necessarily, people are allowed to change their mind, so long as it doesn't become a habit. Provided you are successful in your next undergrad, you will be fine.
Original post by PQ
Where does it state that?

Sorry, that must have been my mistake. I've just read past threads and saw transfer students need to see a certain percentage to transfer to another university to start from the second year of the same course but I guess this doesn't apply to me because I'm going to do a different course starting from year 1. Thanks a lot for your help.

You have to answer the question you are asked in application forms accurately (otherwise it is fraud). You will likely be asked about institutions you have attended and grades achieved, in which case you would have to mention this first attempt at a degree. Its relevance is irrelevant.

However, you are imagining a scenario where this is a black mark on your academic record. It isn't necessarily, people are allowed to change their mind, so long as it doesn't become a habit. Provided you are successful in your next undergrad, you will be fine.

I just hope that they don't ask to see the transcript and ask only for the certHE in that case because I have decided that my A levels will take priority since I have realised it doesn't really matter if I get a first or just pass. I don't think it should be a problem if I achieve a high 2.1 or 1st in the next undergrad degree. Thanks for the help.
If you have been given an unconditional offer, may I ask why you are resitting A-Levels? It doesn't seem necessary and you be better spending time on your university exams.
Original post by Becky2305
If you have been given an unconditional offer, may I ask why you are resitting A-Levels? It doesn't seem necessary and you be better spending time on your university exams.

Well, the career route which I'm planning to take filters out individuals if they achieve below a certain threshold for A levels. I am trying to better my A levels so that they can be as good as possible because A level is something which you have to include on your CV with no questions asked. The degree which I'm currently studying is in no way relevant to the degree which I'm planning to study next year so I can just not include this degree in my CV, or I can just show a certHE if the institution asks for it, but I doubt they'll care much as long as I achieve high grades in the more relevant degree.
Well, the career route which I'm planning to take filters out individuals if they achieve below a certain threshold for A levels. I am trying to better my A levels so that they can be as good as possible because A level is something which you have to include on your CV with no questions asked. The degree which I'm currently studying is in no way relevant to the degree which I'm planning to study next year so I can just not include this degree in my CV, or I can just show a certHE if the institution asks for it, but I doubt they'll care much as long as I achieve high grades in the more relevant degree.

It's really helpful if you give clear and transparent information in your initial question, so that we can give realistic answers. Leaking information out slowly over a series of responses makes our previous answers need adjustment.

If you are aiming for IB or high-end consulting, the usual careers that have a strong initial A level filter, then if you are resitting A levels, rather than taking a completely new set of subjects, then they also tend to require those A levels to be taken in one sitting aged 18. This is because they are looking for a strong, upwards trajectory. So if you are resitting the same exams to get a better grade you are likely to trip over the same filter. You will have to declare your original set of A levels as well as any resits.

So it now sounds as if you might do better to pass your first year degree course than resit A levels.

What is it you are actually trying to achieve career and subject-wise?
It's really helpful if you give clear and transparent information in your initial question, so that we can give realistic answers. Leaking information out slowly over a series of responses makes our previous answers need adjustment.

If you are aiming for IB or high-end consulting, the usual careers that have a strong initial A level filter, then if you are resitting A levels, rather than taking a completely new set of subjects, then they also tend to require those A levels to be taken in one sitting aged 18. This is because they are looking for a strong, upwards trajectory. So if you are resitting the same exams to get a better grade you are likely to trip over the same filter. You will have to declare your original set of A levels as well as any resits.

So it now sounds as if you might do better to pass your first year degree course than resit A levels.

What is it you are actually trying to achieve career and subject-wise?

Sorry about that. I'm looking to get into consulting in the future but I don't mind not working at the top consulting firms. I should also mention that my firm requires me to achieve x grades at A level but my insurance is unconditional (still a fairly high university for the course) so I know for certain that I am changing course and university. I might even go into academia because I do love the course a lot so I wouldn't rule that out either. So what you were saying before my last post is that it wouldn't really matter if I pass/fail this degree because it is not relevant, but as long as I achieve high grades in my new undergrad, universities like Cambridge or other targets would not mind that much, as long as I show my interest and enthusiasm. Do you know if these things will matter for securing spring weeks or summer internships?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending