The Student Room Group

I am immensely stressed and have been let down by my teachers.

I'm an external candidate that hasn't been in school this year, resitting year 13 from home. I screwed up my TAGs last year as I went through some pretty bad mitigating circumstances in the summer before Y13 (family bereavement, illness and conflict all in one) which meant I couldn't apply to university and that my grades dropped in my mocks as a consequence to all this.

I was open about this to my teachers from the very start, and they were definitely aware of my struggling, but my teachers didn't take this into account at all in my TAGs last year and said they could only give me bad grades, or none at all, despite me having been predicted top grades and doing exceptionally well in my GCSEs.

Over the lockdown, I emailed multiple times asking for provisions or back up plans to be in place for me in case the A levels got cancelled, as I had no evidence for my work and I'd be left behind once again. No response, and once the A levels were in fact cancelled, I was devastated and started working towards the rumoured October exams. Not until I had a mental breakdown and called in complaining did they tell me I was actually due to sit the final exams with them in less than two months and that they were supposedly supporting me all along.

I can't help but feel I've been forgotten, been capped on what I could achieve, and been seriously let down. I don't know what to do. I've tried not to lament on the absolute car crash of my life, but it's been really, really hard. This is just the surface of what I've been through since last year. All students have been thrown under the bus this year, but I feel that I am in the minority that has been cosmically screwed over.

I just want to know I'm not as crazy as I've been made to feel, and that maybe there are others out there and I'm not completely alone in this. :frown:
what exactly did you want to study at uni
Please do an ACCESS level 3 which allows you to go to university or Higher Education
Reply 3
Original post by yeetouttawindow
what exactly did you want to study at uni

Medicine :frown: I missed all the entry tests bc of that awful summer so I couldn't apply in Y13
Reply 4
Thanks for your response. I will be sitting A levels this summer. I don't know much about access courses, but I don't think they'll help me with getting into medicine ?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Please do an ACCESS level 3 which allows you to go to university or Higher Education

Thanks for your response. I will be sitting A levels this summer. I don't know much about access courses, but I don't think they'll help me with getting into medicine ?
Original post by Anonymous

Access to Higher Education courses can get you onto any degree if you are willing to put the work in :-) They are comparable to 3 A Levels and offer a maximum of 144 UCAS points which will get you into the top Russell Group Universities. When you look for your medicine degree you are interested in studying have a look how many UCAS points are required and then search the Access to HE QAA database that lists all of the approved providers. I have taught Access to HE Diploma's for a number of years and they are a fantastic alternative to A Levels. Good luck with your journey.

Quick Reply

Latest