The Student Room Group

Reference for masters please help

Hi!
I havent really spoken to or gotten to know my lecturers and personal tutor over the last three hears at uni. And during covid, it almost seems like i was nonexistant (with lectures on zoom and we didnt have to show our face) . However, i have always been a high achieving student and sometimes have emailed my lecturers to ask questions and get feedback. But that is about it. I also only met my supervisor twice (he's super chill and often forgot what i was even doing so i dont think that will affect my diss) but im just so confused who to get a reference from . Like what will they even say? They dont even know me that well.
I was in a similar position to you. At the end of the day you need a reference, so just email both your supervisor and your personal tutor and ask them and the worst they can say is no.
Original post by UneBellePatience
Hi!
I havent really spoken to or gotten to know my lecturers and personal tutor over the last three hears at uni. And during covid, it almost seems like i was nonexistant (with lectures on zoom and we didnt have to show our face) . However, i have always been a high achieving student and sometimes have emailed my lecturers to ask questions and get feedback. But that is about it. I also only met my supervisor twice (he's super chill and often forgot what i was even doing so i dont think that will affect my diss) but im just so confused who to get a reference from . Like what will they even say? They dont even know me that well.

Original post by physgradstudent
I was in a similar position to you. At the end of the day you need a reference, so just email both your supervisor and your personal tutor and ask them and the worst they can say is no.

Hi @UneBellePatience @physgradstudent,

Most references will usually ask more about confirming your academic record - your marks, whether you handed in on time, whether you attended classes etc - than knowing you as a person, so your dissertation supervisor and personal tutor would both be able to provide this.

Plus you'd be surprised how much of an impression you are likely to have made with staff you've had involvement with, even if that contact or involvement has been relatively brief. I got an academic reference from my undergraduate dissertation supervisor 11 years after graduation and I wouldn't have said that we'd met more than once or twice during the course of my BA - but the university records office would have held the details he needed to complete the reference request.

You should be able to email your supervisors/tutors directly to request references but just check the requirements with your academic school - some academic schools/universities request that you direct any references through the school/faculty office or to the student records office rather than to individual academics.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending