The Student Room Group

if you did something to someone and another person strangled you a few days later are

they in the right?
Legally, no.

Also ethically probably not, although I'm not a moral philosopher.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Legally, no.

what about not in legal terms?
I wouldn't say they are in the right for strangling you at all, seems quite an extreme reaction so don't know what you did to deserve that. You could probably file assault charges if you want, but beware if whatever you did in the first place was also illegal.
Reply 4
Original post by Kogomogo
I wouldn't say they are in the right for strangling you at all, seems quite an extreme reaction so don't know what you did to deserve that. You could probably file assault charges if you want, but beware if whatever you did in the first place was also illegal.

what like would calling someone a racist remark be illegal?
Reply 5

bare in mind I was 8 when I was strangled and the other person was also 8.
Reply 6

This was 12 years ago but for some reason its haunting me now.
Reply 7
Why are you thinking over things that happened when you were 8? Let it go.
Reply 8
Original post by Foxehh

i’m not its just always on my mind now for some reason
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
i’m not its just always on my mind now for some reason

I let what they did go because I didn’t know what strangling was then.
Original post by Foxehh

didn’t tell the teacher what happened because I didn’t know what it was.
In the nicest way possible, you need to move on. 8 year olds largely don't know what they're doing, the don't understand the meaning or power of words. In terms of answering your question, you were both in the wrong.
Original post by bones-mccoy
In the nicest way possible, you need to move on. 8 year olds largely don't know what they're doing, the don't understand the meaning or power of words. In terms of answering your question, you were both in the wrong.

I don’t know if the reason I was strangled by the boy was because I insulted one girl, I don’t know why he strangled me when we were switching seats and I was on my way to my seat.

I just wanted to talk about it with someone because without me even thinking about it during the day, it’s obviously always on the back of my mind because I have nightmares.
I don’t know if the reason I was strangled by the boy was because I insulted one girl, I don’t know why he strangled me when we were switching seats and I was on my way to my seat.

I just wanted to talk about it with someone because without me even thinking about it during the day, it’s obviously always on the back of my mind because I have nightmares.

Is there anyone you can speak to about it? If you don't feel comfortable talking to family or friends, then a therapist or a counsellor is an option
Original post by bones-mccoy
Is there anyone you can speak to about it? If you don't feel comfortable talking to family or friends, then a therapist or a counsellor is an option

I can speak to a friend but also have to be mindful on the amount of messages I send because she has a life too.
what like would calling someone a racist remark be illegal?

Yes that could potentially be construed as a hate crime, i can see why the other kid would have been quite furious about that. I really think you should let it go though, at age 8 you were both too young to know any better and both did a bad thing, you shouldn't have said what you did and the other kid should've found a way better to deal with it but at the end of the day was still an upset kid who didn't know any better.

Do you harbor guilt because of feeling bad around the racist remark? If so then maybe you should examine how you are now, if you are not racist then you should try and forgive yourself for your actions as a young, impressionable child. Treat it as a learning moment for the kind of casual racism that still goes on everyday and appreciate your growth in making an effort to not be a part of it anymore.
Yes that could potentially be construed as a hate crime, i can see why the other kid would have been quite furious about that. I really think you should let it go though, at age 8 you were both too young to know any better and both did a bad thing, you shouldn't have said what you did and the other kid should've found a way better to deal with it but at the end of the day was still an upset kid who didn't know any better.

Do you harbor guilt because of feeling bad around the racist remark? If so then maybe you should examine how you are now, if you are not racist then you should try and forgive yourself for your actions as a young, impressionable child. Treat it as a learning moment for the kind of casual racism that still goes on everyday and appreciate your growth in making an effort to not be a part of it anymore.

We are all Muslim and I made that remark because the girl provoked something and I would only hurt people verbally if they provoked something in me first. Not that I am trying to justify my actions, I was told off for it.

I don’t see why the boy should strangle me, I didn’t do anything to him, he could be protective of other students/girls in our class or in extreme cases, just looking for someone to kill and happened to pass me. He could have planned it before we switched seats you never know. He was a smart boy who advanced quicker than his age because he knew about sex making babies by the age of 11 when we weren’t even taught. He knew strangling was going to eventually lead to unconsciousness or death.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending