The Student Room Group

Should i put a white name on my CV?

I’m in yr 13 now and I’ve been trying to get a job since the beginning of yr 12 but I still havent got one. I’ve been looking on indeed and the websites of restaurants and shops, I’ve revised my CV many times but every time I apply somewhere I become unsuccessful. Obviously it might just be because of covid or that I don’t have much experience, even though I volunteered at a charity shop for 2 years but I feel like it might be because of my name since I have a very recognisably muslim name. So I was wondering what harm would there be in putting different name on my CV? Has anyone done this before? How much trouble would I get into?
It's going to be pretty awkward when they ask for proof of ID as pretty much all employers are bound to do, I could see it causing payroll problems as well since bank accounts are now tied to name. :/
I was put in a similar situation myself, if you really want to 'fit in' put in a desired name, but add SOMEWHERE your legal name, if it comes up after you land the job your real name you could get fired for lying. Or change your legal name, but still be called by family and friends by birth name, if you'd like.
Reply 3
I used to help recruit people at my old company so I would review a lot of CVs. Anything that is a blatant lie would be an instant rejection, and actually if I realised at the beginning of the interview, I would terminate it there and then and that would be a very awkward situation for you. I know not all companies are nice, but I can genuinely say I've never met anyone in the recruitment process who will turn someone away for a name. It's something you quite literally have zero control over.
For now I would put it down to the pandemic. You'll be competing with a lot of people who have been made redundant in the past year who will have a lot more experience than you. Keep trying, job hunting can be a very draining process but it's ultimately a numbers game.
'Stuart' :angry:
Reply 5
Tbf I kinda just realised how silly my post is, i was just having some very impulsive thoughts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending