The Student Room Group

law with criminology

i am a first year law student, currently studying law with criminology .. to my surprise, i find law more interesting than criminology lol. Also, my law assignments are better than my crim ones .. is anyone else the same ?
Reply 1
Law essays are pretty damn hard to score to be honest. Sometimes the marking style and what they tend to look for is dependent on the marker; I’ve had varying ranges from one marked a fail for an essay I did while another marked a 2:1.

Humanities essays are hard to figure out most of the time, but am trying to work out what works best for me.
Original post by wifd149
Law essays are pretty damn hard to score to be honest. Sometimes the marking style and what they tend to look for is dependent on the marker; I’ve had varying ranges from one marked a fail for an essay I did while another marked a 2:1.

Humanities essays are hard to figure out most of the time, but am trying to work out what works best for me.

oo, I managed to get a first in contract law, but maybe thats because it was a problem question, lol who knows. It’s unfair how some markers are harsher than others, isn’t it? (be buddies with your lecturers) that may make a difference, lol.

Law is hard but its worth it when you enjoy it! >.<

How did you manage to get a fail, if you don’t mind me asking?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by dontworryboo
oo, I managed to get a first in contract law, but maybe thats because it was a problem question, lol who knows. It’s unfair how some markers are harsher than others, isn’t it? (be buddies with your lecturers) that may make a difference, lol.

Law is hard but its worth it, when you enjoy it! >.<

How did you manage to get a fail, if you don’t mind me asking?

Congrats for the first mate! Mind me asking for any tips or framework in approaching prob questions? Exam’s around the corner.

The failed essay was in jurisprudence, which I found a tricky subject. I personally predicted at least a 48% on that essay but ended with a 38% on it. I spent a lot of the essay analyzing it, but my marker really wanted my assertions to be extremely specific. I basically said what the “point” was as in commentaries and textbooks, but they were extremely particular about the implications’ mechanics (how it works). What I did was not outright wrong (just barely omitted) but they decided to not give marks for it completely even if it’s in line with what the essay is asking for and wants, even backed it with authorities. Looked at the previous answers and was dumbfounded to be honest.

The baseline is that showing you understand the basic relevant mechanisms gives a 2:2 at least. General knowledge of some parts of the question is a 3rd. I don’t get how it is a fail at all. But academic appeals are not accepted at my uni, only procedural appeals and mitigating circumstances, etc.
Original post by wifd149
Congrats for the first mate! Mind me asking for any tips or framework in approaching prob questions? Exam’s around the corner.

The failed essay was in jurisprudence, which I found a tricky subject. I personally predicted at least a 48% on that essay but ended with a 38% on it. I spent a lot of the essay analyzing it, but my marker really wanted my assertions to be extremely specific. I basically said what the “point” was as in commentaries and textbooks, but they were extremely particular about the implications’ mechanics (how it works). What I did was not outright wrong (just barely omitted) but they decided to not give marks for it completely even if it’s in line with what the essay is asking for and wants, even backed it with authorities. Looked at the previous answers and was dumbfounded to be honest.

The baseline is that showing you understand the basic relevant mechanisms gives a 2:2 at least. General knowledge of some parts of the question is a 3rd. I don’t get how it is a fail at all. But academic appeals are not accepted at my uni, only procedural appeals and mitigating circumstances, etc.

Oh no.. they could have given you a 2:2 at least, sorry girl. Tad harsh of them.

Well, I was very critical and you could tell I knew what I was talking about. I was able to reference relevant cases.
Plus, my grammar, punctuation, referencing and paragraph structure were decent lol (you could lose marking if it is not correct).

I would say so far, I have noticed my lecturers love critical analysis. They love when you can build a SOLID argument with a range of academic sources! hahaha. Well, if you plan on becoming a lawyer, it will be useful lol.

AND I RECEIVED NEWS THAT MY EXAMS ARE CANCELLED FOR SECOND YEAR ****DANCES****
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Oh no.. they could have given you a 2:2 at least, sorry girl. Tad harsh of them.

Well, I was very critical and you could tell I knew what I was talking about. I was able to reference relevant cases.
Plus, my grammar, punctuation, referencing and paragraph structure were decent lol (you could lose marking if it is not correct).

I would say so far, I have noticed my lecturers love critical analysis. They love when you can build a SOLID argument with a range of academic sources! hahaha. Well, if you plan on becoming a lawyer, it will be useful lol.

AND I RECEIVED NEWS THAT MY EXAMS ARE CANCELLED FOR SECOND YEAR ****DANCES****

Oh my god! Your exams are cancelled!?! :eek: So unfair :colonhash: Am crying rn

May I ask how you prepare your materials for the problem question?
Original post by wifd149
Oh my god! Your exams are cancelled!?! :eek: So unfair :colonhash: Am crying rn

May I ask how you prepare your materials for the problem question

Yaaas.. I prefer coursework over exams :biggrin:

Tbh, I don’t lol I literally just use the IRAC method and use the info given by uni on Moodle, and do further research
Reply 7
Yaaas.. I prefer coursework over exams :biggrin:

Tbh, I don’t lol I literally just use the IRAC method and use the info given by uni on Moodle, and do further research

Oooo I see. That’s cool mate. I’ll try my best. All d best to both of us! :h:
Reply 8
i took one criminology module. only thing i liked about it was deviant behaviour theory, otherwise bored me to tears :cry:

it's easier to get a good grade in criminology but i didn't do as well in my essay as in law cuz couldn't be arsed to do the work because bored (it was about presumption against short sentences or something).
Original post by Joleee
i took one criminology module. only thing i liked about it was deviant behaviour theory, otherwise bored me to tears :cry:

it's easier to get a good grade in criminology but i didn't do as well in my essay as in law cuz couldn't be arsed to do the work because bored (it was about presumption against short sentences or something).

I completely understand, crim is so boring.. I thought It would have been fun :’( I got a 2:2 last term. I even asked if I would be able to drop criminology but I was basically told no LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending