The Student Room Group

Will university be on campus in September for returning students?

Do you think university will be back to some normal in September for returning students? Will we have normal lectures or will we be put in groups?
Lectures are likely to remain remote a d recorded. It’s a poor use of space and staff and student time delivering lectures in person to crowded lecture theatres.

Keeping lectures remote frees up time and space for more face to face smaller group (and more interactive) teaching
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Lectures are likely to remain remote a d recorded. It’s a poor use of space and staff and student time delivering lectures in person to crowded lecture theatres.

Keeping lectures remote frees up time and space for more face to face smaller group (and more interactive) teaching

But what about the issues we're facing with recorded lectures like Internet issues, eye strain, depression and other problems students are facing. Surely we have to return to some normality soon enough?
Original post by Anonymous
But what about the issues we're facing with recorded lectures like Internet issues, eye strain, depression and other problems students are facing. Surely we have to return to some normality soon enough?

Recorded lectures aren’t the cause of any of those things.
Original post by PQ

I really hope you’re not foreshadowing anything…the backlash from students will be very quick and strong.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Recorded lectures aren’t the cause of any of those things.

A lot of students have been watching these lectures and have gotten eye strain

Original post by MajorFader
I really hope you’re not foreshadowing anything…the backlash from students will be very quick and strong.

Exactly! Students are sick of these recorded lectures and I can't go another year with online uni. It's physically making me ill. 😭 I can't sit and stare at a laptop, I've had enough of it.
A lot of students have been watching these lectures and have gotten eye strain

Exactly! Students are sick of these recorded lectures and I can't go another year with online uni. It's physically making me ill. 😭 I can't sit and stare at a laptop, I've had enough of it.

If you’re getting eye strain from watching a video then go to the optician:rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
If you’re getting eye strain from watching a video then go to the optician:rolleyes:

Hahaha look it up on the Internet it's called 'zoom strain'. It's a 2hr video lol and most students play it back like 5 times 😂😂😭😭😭
Hahaha look it up on the Internet it's called 'zoom strain'. It's a 2hr video lol and most students play it back like 5 times 😂😂😭😭😭

Right. And I’m sure you’ve never watched 10 hours on Netflix but for some reason rewatching a lecture 5 times (how are you going to cope with in person lectures that aren’t recorded if you have to rewatch recorded lectures 5 times?) gives you eyestrain.

Go to an optician.
Original post by PQ

Devil advocate! 😪

Original post by PQ

Extremely rude attitude 😜
I think that seminars will be back to normal, but I really don't see large lectures happening in person until at least 2022. At LEAST.
Original post by Sandtrooper
I think that seminars will be back to normal, but I really don't see large lectures happening in person until at least 2022. At LEAST.

Why?

Do you think students will be mandated to have vaccines first?
Original post by MajorFader
Why?

Do you think students will be mandated to have vaccines first?

I think so. Also, many international students won't be vaccinated, so that poses some level of risk. Plus, I just think that many people have found online lectures easier as you can just watch them whenever, and they often haven't been live, anyway.
Universities will never return to teaching exactly how they did before covid, I think in person teaching will resume this year but I think education will be hybridized.

To be honest lectures kind of make sense to go virtual, focus the in person education on smaller groups with more direct student engagement.

As for the eyesight thing, I would speak to an optician I agree your eyes shouldn’t be that strained from looking at a computer.
Do you think university will be back to some normal in September for returning students? Will we have normal lectures or will we be put in groups?

Hello,

Your university should have a rough plan/guideline for what they aim to do in the upcoming academic year so I would advise emailing your university to ask what advice they can offer for your specific situation They will want to make sure every student is supported and also aware of their plan, to rule out another year of uncertainty.

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest