The Student Room Group

A-LEVELS

I have to choose subjects for my A-levels and im not very sure if my combination is good enough. I plan on doing economics, mathematics and art and design. Will these be too soft and if they are what can i replace them with?
Reply 1
Define "soft", in this case.

Are you sufficiently interested in them to learn them for two years? Do you think you can do well in them? If so, go ahead. I think people on this site get too pent up worrying about the "combination".
Original post by Sinnoh
Define "soft", in this case.

Are you sufficiently interested in them to learn them for two years? Do you think you can do well in them? If so, go ahead. I think people on this site get too pent up worrying about the "combination".

I would class "hard" subjects as Maths, Further Maths, History, Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, Physics, Politics, Economics. Those typically that are more accepting by universities.
Reply 3
Original post by aniyah.haider
I would class "hard" subjects as Maths, Further Maths, History, Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, Physics, Politics, Economics. Those typically that are more accepting by universities.

Universities don't really care what subjects you do outside of the ones specifically required for the course. Unless you're doing critical thinking or general studies, although I think those have been scrapped.

And damn, I'd probably find art very hard. It's subjective.
Original post by Sinnoh
Universities don't really care what subjects you do outside of the ones specifically required for the course. Unless you're doing critical thinking or general studies, although I think those have been scrapped.

And damn, I'd probably find art very hard. It's subjective.

if i were to do marketing and design in uni later on would those subjects that ive chosen abouve come in handy?
Reply 5
if i were to do marketing and design in uni later on would those subjects that ive chosen abouve come in handy?

That course probably wouldn't require any specific A-level subjects anyway. Can't really answer your question though, I don't do that course or know anyone doing it.
Reply 6
Maths and economics go well together, art and design seems a bit random but it’s not necessarily a bad thing
Original post by Ten-Ten
Maths and economics go well together, art and design seems a bit random but it’s not necessarily a bad thing

if i had to choose a third subject along with economics and mathematics, what would you recommend?
Reply 8
if i had to choose a third subject along with economics and mathematics, what would you recommend?

Probably something like business or finance related. I know some girls who do maths, economics and psychology
I have to choose subjects for my A-levels and im not very sure if my combination is good enough. I plan on doing economics, mathematics and art and design. Will these be too soft and if they are what can i replace them with?

depends on what you want to do in uni... most unis only ask for 3 a levels, so doing 4 might not advantage you in anyway, as for the combination, I’d say maths and econ go hand in hand and art and design go hand in hand too. Do you mind telling me what your future hopes are? With that being said, if you’re planning on going down an economics route, I don’t think your ‘third’ subject should matter. Look at uni pages for specific courses that you would consider, and if there is no specific course, then maybe read up on different universities and a range of courses, and see what options would advantage you best!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ten-Ten
Probably something like business or finance related. I know some girls who do maths, economics and psychology

ive actually looked into business and some of the threads on TSR say that economics and business together isnt the greatest idea since their quite similar? psychology sounds good tho

Marketing and design definitely sounds like a subject that you need a mix of mathematical and creative subjects for. Your current choice of maths, art and economics sounds like a great match for your current uni aspirations. Out of those three, I'd say economics is the least useful for that uni course, so if you want to substitute it with something else, feel free to do so. I think Graphics, Business or Textiles would be good for you.
Original post by idonthaveaname1223
depends on what you want to do in uni... most unis only ask for 3 a levels, so doing 4 might not advantage you in anyway, as for the combination, I’d say maths and econ go hand in hand and art and design go hand in hand too. Do you mind telling me what your future hopes are? With that being said, if you’re planning on going down an economics route, I don’t think your ‘third’ subject should matter. Look at uni pages for specific courses that you would consider, and if there is no specific course, then maybe read up on different universities and a range of courses, and see what options would advantage you best!

im not very sure on what i plan for uni, but i believe its something related to marketing and design, but most universities as ive searched dont rlly have a set of subjects to do in A-level for majoring in art or marketing
ive actually looked into business and some of the threads on TSR say that economics and business together isnt the greatest idea since their quite similar? psychology sounds good tho

Thats not true at all, they complement each other. But psychology is also good
I would suggest giving further maths a go as a 4th subject and dropping it if you don't like it. Also gives you an out if you reckon art and design is too much effort at A-level, like I did with German. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with those A-levels.

Marketing and design has no specific entry requirements for Uni of Lancaster, just AAB A-levels. If you're interested in the econ or finance stuff, further maths looks fantastic. I will always be a massive supporter of people doing further maths, because it's actually way more interesting IMO than normal maths. Yeah, it's hard, yeah it's intimidating, but a lot of people give it a go and find out that they're actually more capable mathematicians than they thought they were.
(edited 2 years ago)

Hey :smile:

That combination sounds good! Do you know what you want to go into at University or for a career? Realistically, as long as you have got the right subjects to get onto your chosen course/career area it doesn't really matter if they are too 'soft'!

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions :smile:
Sian- UoP Rep

Quick Reply

Latest