The Student Room Group

Durham Law or reapply to Oxbridge/LSE

I only got into Durham, not Oxford or LSE due to my lazy PS. Should I reapply or go to Durham? PS: I have 3A*s and only care about getting a high paying job in law, ibanking or consulting.

Scroll to see replies

none of these ambitions are really problematic and the year out wouldn't necessarily help you. durham is strong

the most important thing to fix will be whatever went wrong for you with writing a ps since that's the skill that needs to be sharpest to finesse an interview
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Up to you if you can afford it or can take a year out.
Original post by somedudeonline
I only got into Durham, not Oxford or LSE due to my lazy PS. Should I reapply or go to Durham? PS: I have 3A*s and only care about getting a high paying job in law, ibanking or consulting.

Oxbridge will never take you if that is your attitude towards things. Maybe LSE but LSE is not significantly better than Durham for law; not enough to take a gap year for at least. I'd say go for Durham but that is only because of your attitude and want to do law only for the money. Keep in mind about 60% of top law firm intakes come from Oxbridge each year so you'd have to have a fairly strong application with more enthusiasm to get into the top firms.
Original post by somedudeonline

What LNAT score did you get if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 5
Going to Durham for law will not hinder you from getting a high paying job in law, ibanking or consulting.
My statistics may be exaggerated but my underlying point is that to work for top firms it requires you to work long hours (80-100 hours a week) and there is no way OP is going to last more than a year in this industry such as IB/Consulting/top firms in law let alone achieve more than a 2.1 just doing it for the money.
To OP, IB/consultancies recruit people doing any course so you can get in studying Viking studies but you'll have to get into a target university which is much more important so I advice you to do a degree which you're passionate about. I don't know the details about law firms but I heard they are increasingly taking STEM students from Imperial so that might be an option too.
(edited 2 years ago)
IB: target schools are; Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Imperial (no law) and Warwick. Durham is semi-target.
MBB consulting: Mainly oxbridge
For law Durham is probably around UCL and LSE in terms of breaking into corp law. Magic circle is typically oxbridge centric i think.

Imma be real with you, if you wanted a high paying job out of undergrad (like 300k+) you should've gone into STEM and applied for proprietary trading/Quant trading. Even at top IBs you will earn 70k ish as an analyst in first year pre-tax, post tax it will be a lot less and you'll be living in london. <- this is a lot compared to most jobs but if all you care about is money then the amount made on the sell-side of finance (Investment banking) might not be what you're looking for unless the VP/MD money you could make is worth it.
To see associate and VP total compensation (incl. bonuses) read: https://www.arkesden.com/asset/8424/download?1619082748
This lists total compensation at the top banks at different levels. Corp law is similar minus maybe 20 percent and similar with consulting.

As a PM at top quant funds and prop shops your income isn't really capped and can surpass 5 million a year (potentially go into 10s of millions) but this is quite rare and completely performance/luck based. In the UK and in banking if you're not at the C-suite (which takes decades) you don't really tend to earn like 30 million a year or stuff anymore. Not to say how much investment bankers are paid isn't a lot but if a high-paying job out of undergraduate is all you want then the best option would've been trading but law isn't good enough as a degree.
Original post by TFEU
Going to Durham for law will not hinder you from getting a high paying job in law, ibanking or consulting.

it can, MBB consulting is heavily geared towards oxbridge and investment banking is more focused on the key target schools (Oxbridge, UCL, ICL, LSE and warwick) although durham is a very strong semi-target. Idk for corp law
Still an achievement, why don't you want to go to Durham? It's up to you if you want to try Oxbridge again.
Original post by Rosessta3rs7
Still an achievement, why don't you want to go to Durham? It's up to you if you want to try Oxbridge again.

career prospects in certain fields is why they might hesitate, although Durham would give them a good shot but not necessarily the best
Original post by Levi.-
career prospects in certain fields is why they might hesitate, although Durham would give them a good shot but not necessarily the best

I don't think anywhere is the best apart from Oxbridge or Russell group universities, but yes I can understand why. Cambridge and Oxford are extremely competitive, I'm concerned I won't get into postgraduate study there.
Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, ICL and warwick help massively with Investment banking but don't do everything, most people from these schools still get rejected but they place better than durham as they're target schools. Durham is a high semi-target though.
Reply 13
Durham will not be an issue for law unless you want to go into a top commercial barrister set, and even then the competition for that is so extreme that even Oxbridge candidates’ chances aren’t great. Having said that I believe my director of studies went there and he now works at a very respectable commercial set.

My understanding is that Durham is not a solid “target” IB university (I’ve heard it described as a “semi-target”) which might possibly prove problematic if you’re applying for really heavy hitting roles, but the extent to which it’ll hinder you is not something I know enough about to comment on.

Another thing I wanted to say is that (and this especially applies for Oxbridge), that personal statements are usually fairly minor components of the admissions process, with academic performance, admissions test scores and interview scores being far more important. If you got rejected from Oxford then I don’t think it was just the personal statement that was to blame. With that in mind, coming in with a stronger personal statement the second time around is unlikely to substantially improve your chances.

You might have a better shot at LSE, though.
Original post by Rosessta3rs7
I don't think anywhere is the best apart from Oxbridge or Russell group universities, but yes I can understand why. Cambridge and Oxford are extremely competitive, I'm concerned I won't get into postgraduate study there.

I mean for employment generally your uni is irrelevant but for the fields that OP listed they can be make or break. Investment banks recruit around 70% from the same 6 universities with the rest being other universities (typically semi-targets) MBB consulting (top consulting firms) also focus on Oxbridge, although an old BCG CV scorecard showed they pioritise Oxbridge, imperial, LSE, TCD and then the next tier has UCL durham etc. Although consulting and IB are very different in terms of recruitment.
Original post by username19412
My statistics may be exaggerated but my underlying point is that to work for top firms it requires you to work long hours (80-100 hours a week) and there is no way OP is going to last more than a year in this industry such as IB/Consulting/top firms in law let alone achieve more than a 2.1 just doing it for the money.
To OP, IB/consultancies recruit people doing any course so you can get in studying Viking studies but you'll have to get into a target university which is much more important so I advice you to do a degree which you're passionate about. I don't know the details about law firms but I heard they are increasingly taking STEM students from Imperial so that might be an option too.

80-100 hours? What are you smoking?
Original post by Mikos
Durham will not be an issue for law unless you want to go into a top commercial barrister set, and even then the competition for that is so extreme that even Oxbridge candidates’ chances aren’t great. Having said that I believe my director of studies went there and he now works at a very respectable commercial set.

My understanding is that Durham is not a solid “target” IB university (I’ve heard it described as a “semi-target”) which might possibly prove problematic if you’re applying for really heavy hitting roles, but the extent to which it’ll hinder you is not something I know enough about to comment on.

Another thing I wanted to say is that (and this especially applies for Oxbridge), that personal statements are usually fairly minor components of the admissions process, with academic performance, admissions test scores and interview scores being far more important. If you got rejected from Oxford then I don’t think it was just the personal statement that was to blame. With that in mind, coming in with a stronger personal statement the second time around is unlikely to substantially improve your chances.

You might have a better shot at LSE, though.

Ik sometimes personal statements aren't read. Although this might be more for STEM. For Oxford; GCSEs and LNAT will have been an issue if they didn't get interviewed. Durham is a semi-target yes which could be an issue but not a huge one.
Reply 17
Original post by Levi.-
Ik sometimes personal statements aren't read. Although this might be more for STEM. For Oxford; GCSEs and LNAT will have been an issue if they didn't get interviewed. Durham is a semi-target yes which could be an issue but not a huge one.

The point about them sometimes not being read is true, and it also happens with law admissions. I think in some cases it can be used as a tiebreaker or, more commonly, as a talking point at interview. However, unless your personal statement is literal dogshit it is really unlikely to be the sole dealbreaker. After all, it’s a part of the admissions process that could be heavily influenced by an experienced teacher.
Original post by Mikos
The point about them sometimes not being read is true, and it also happens with law admissions. I think in some cases it can be used as a tiebreaker or, more commonly, as a talking point at interview. However, unless your personal statement is literal dogshit it is really unlikely to be the sole dealbreaker. After all, it’s a part of the admissions process that could be heavily influenced by an experienced teacher.

very true, worth putting a lot of effort into them still, especially if they can guide your interviews. My cambridge med ones had nothing to do with me as a person or my personal statement but were all very academic questions etc. However, my classmate's oxford chemistry one was geared around a book she talked about in hers.
Reply 19
Original post by Levi.-
very true, worth putting a lot of effort into them still, especially if they can guide your interviews. My cambridge med ones had nothing to do with me as a person or my personal statement but were all very academic questions etc. However, my classmate's oxford chemistry one was geared around a book she talked about in hers.

Yeah my Cambridge law interview was 100% academic too. Never got asked anything about my personal statement which I was admittedly a little surprised about.

I also think it’s worth putting effort into because some colleges will use it as an opportunity to see how you’ve engaged with your subject, but more so because actually engaging with your subject will help you in the admissions process. I used principles I’d picked up during wider reading in my interview and admissions test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending