The Student Room Group

some careers im into, I need help with which subjects needed

I scored very well on my math, bio and psych IGCSE and here are the careers I'm into. I'm not too good at chemistry but I will tolerate it if I must touch upon it a little. Subjects I'm happy to choose for A levels and are relevant include: Math, Bio, Psych, Geo .Here are the careers I'm interested in (not in any order)...
1. Environmental science
2. Biological anthropology
3. Psychology
4. Wildlife conservationist
5. ecology
6. Zoology
7. Wildlife Biologist
Original post by fleurpetals
I scored very well on my math, bio and psych IGCSE and here are the careers I'm into. I'm not too good at chemistry but I will tolerate it if I must touch upon it a little. Subjects I'm happy to choose for A levels and are relevant include: Math, Bio, Psych, Geo .Here are the careers I'm interested in (not in any order)...
1. Environmental science
3. Psychology
5. ecology
6. Zoology
7. Wildlife Biologist

for all of those careers, maths and bio will be very useful, with some of them requiring maths to study at degree level (I believe psychology does). geography would also go very well with bio and maths, and would suit those subjects, and you can actually do environmental science as an a level! (my friend does and she loves it - she does psychology, geography and environmental science and she wants to do either environmental science or geography at uni).

basically, if you want security do:

bio and maths for definite, and

either geography or environmental science for your third (or both of your sixth form does four a levels at the start of yr 12)

but it's up to you, do what you enjoy!

(edit) maths, bio and geography are facilitating subjects, meaning if you want to study one of these degrees, you need to have these a levels - if you don't want to tho then it doesn't make a difference, it's mostly just for security
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Starrynight5
for all of those careers, maths and bio will be very useful, with some of them requiring maths to study at degree level (I believe psychology does). geography would also go very well with bio and maths, and would suit those subjects, and you can actually do environmental science as an a level! (my friend does and she loves it - she does psychology, geography and environmental science and she wants to do either environmental science or geography at uni).

basically, if you want security do:

bio and maths for definite, and

either geography or environmental science for your third (or both of your sixth form does four a levels at the start of yr 12)

but it's up to you, do what you enjoy!

(edit) maths, bio and geography are facilitating subjects, meaning if you want to study one of these degrees, you need to have these a levels - if you don't want to tho then it doesn't make a difference, it's mostly just for security

You don't know how much I want to thank you. I just had a life crisis cause I really abhor chemistry and I felt like I hit a dead end (I'm a private candidate and with covid + everything, things have been going in all directions). I have taken a look at environmental science and I do like it. Thank you so much again for taking the time to explain! <3 stay safe
Reply 3
1. Environmental science
3. Psychology
5. ecology
6. Zoology
7. Wildlife Biologist

Maths and Biology are the most important and useful for these subject areas, and they pair well with geography as well. I would go with biology, maths and geography which are strong subjects and will allow you to apply for university courses in these areas / are helpful and useful preparatory subjects overall :smile: - you might even find your college / sixth form offers environmental science A-level or similar.
Reply 4
Original post by Ðeggs
Maths and Biology are the most important and useful for these subject areas, and they pair well with geography as well. I would go with biology, maths and geography which are strong subjects and will allow you to apply for university courses in these areas / are helpful and useful preparatory subjects overall :smile:

Thank You so so much! I'm starting to see my plan solidify. stay safe!
You don't know how much I want to thank you. I just had a life crisis cause I really abhor chemistry and I felt like I hit a dead end (I'm a private candidate and with covid + everything, things have been going in all directions). I have taken a look at environmental science and I do like it. Thank you so much again for taking the time to explain! <3 stay safe

aww no problem, you too!:heart:
For all those, usually universities will simply ask for minimum 1-2 sciences between biology, chemistry, maths, psychology, physics, maths, geography (+others i may have missed)

I'll list the helpful ones should take based on the course, but unis will mostly accept any of the above ones I mentioned. However, the 'better' unis sometimes separate needing 2 'hard sciences' from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. So if you're taking Biology and Maths you should be fine.

1. Environmental science - geography, biology, maths
2. Biological anthropology - biology
3. Psychology - psychology, biology, maths (there's surprisingly a lot of maths in Psychology)
4. Wildlife conservationist - biology, geography
5. ecology - biology, geography
6. Zoology - biology
7. Wildlife Biology - biology

I agree with everyone else that biology and maths are good prospects and feel free to take any other 3rd (or 4th a level) it shouldn't hurt your application.

Also don't be worried about chemistry I took it in year 12 and dropped it cause it was too hard. But I've been accepted into 3 unis to do Zoology with Biology, Psychology and Spanish as my A levels :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by trophic_star
For all those, usually universities will simply ask for minimum 1-2 sciences between biology, chemistry, maths, psychology, physics, maths, geography (+others i may have missed)

I'll list the helpful ones should take based on the course, but unis will mostly accept any of the above ones I mentioned. However, the 'better' unis sometimes separate needing 2 'hard sciences' from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. So if you're taking Biology and Maths you should be fine.

3. Psychology - psychology, biology, maths (there's surprisingly a lot of maths in Psychology)
6. Zoology - biology

I agree with everyone else that biology and maths are good prospects and feel free to take any other 3rd (or 4th a level) it shouldn't hurt your application.

Also don't be worried about chemistry I took it in year 12 and dropped it cause it was too hard. But I've been accepted into 3 unis to do Zoology with Biology, Psychology and Spanish as my A levels :smile:

You are a blessing! thank you so so much <3 this is extremely helpful for me 😭

6. Zoology - biology

if you dont mind me asking, what unis have you been accepted into?
1. Environmental science
3. Psychology
5. ecology
6. Zoology
7. Wildlife Biologist

Hey :smile:

I think Biology and Maths A-Levels look like the best fit generally for these career options.
Personally, I currently study Psychology at Uni and I took Psychology, English Lit and Religious Studies and I love it! However I didn't have to take any sciences like Biology/Chemistry as thats not required for Psychology most of the time :smile:

Obviously though, to keep your options open those choices would be the best!

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep
thank you!

This is also quite a useful website: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Original post by floppyfish
if you dont mind me asking, what unis have you been accepted into?

Exeter, Newcastle, Sheffield, and Lancaster. Also technically Manchester, but I would only be able to go to Manchester if I did an extra foundation year
Original post by Muttley79
This is also quite a useful website: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Just saw this but thank you!!
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey :smile:

I think Biology and Maths A-Levels look like the best fit generally for these career options.
Personally, I currently study Psychology at Uni and I took Psychology, English Lit and Religious Studies and I love it! However I didn't have to take any sciences like Biology/Chemistry as thats not required for Psychology most of the time :smile:

Obviously though, to keep your options open those choices would be the best!

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep

Thank you so much!!

Drop here!
Exeter, Newcastle, Sheffield, and Lancaster. Also technically Manchester, but I would only be able to go to Manchester if I did an extra foundation year

Exeter is a great place to study

Hey there,

The School of Biosciences at The University of Sheffield has a really great range of degrees that allow you to pursue your interests including environmental science, zoology, and working with wildlife. The courses also allow you to take modules in courses ranging from biomedical science, to molecular biology and genetics.

Here is a link to some of the courses we offer.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/biosciences/undergraduate/courses

Many of these also have really useful ways to enhance your degree like a placement year, or a year abroad.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions about what it's like to study biology, feel free to ask.

Daniel
Third Year
MBiolSci Biology with a Year Abroad

Quick Reply

Latest