The Student Room Group

To GCSE students who got 7 or more

I really need a revision method to help me get good grades in my GCSE, especially for english. Please could you share your revision methods?
Reply 1
For English Language, just continually do past paper practise :smile:. For Literature, I did mind maps, which sort of had an essay plan on them, and then wrote tons of practise ones! I also made flash cards to learn quotes.

In terms, of other subjects, active recall methods like making flash cards are great for just learning the content- don't waste your time making notes! I also would emphasise the importance of doing exam questions- particularly sciences- I only learned this at A-Level, and I wish someone had put more emphasis on it!

My revision method:
1) Learn the content- photocopier method- write it out till you can recite it- I tend to do this as I make the flash cards...
2) Make quizlet flashcards on the content. Read through the textbook and make questions on everything e.g. What is the role of a nucleus? I have different sets for each sub-topic
3) Learn the flash cards. Keep going through them. If I get one wrong, I type it out five times and "star" it (if you make physical ones, just put it to one side)
4) Then before learning something new, I'll go through the starred flash cards. Again, if I get it wrong, I write it out five times.
5) Once I'm happy with that topic, I do exam question practise. If I get an exam q wrong, I add it to my flash card set.
6) Then just keep going through the flashcards, refreshing yourself. I usually like to spend some time going through something I have previously learned, before learning something new. So, basically in a revision session, I'll spend the first half recapping and the second half learning something new.

Hope this helps :smile: Good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
I got a 9 in both english lit and lang. What I did was to organise quotes according to key themes and right briefly about the context (Macbeth). For language I did a lot of past papers and kept a small journal with me to describe settings of places I like. I mostly bullet pointed descriptions to keep using. It helps a lot with creative writing since that was my weakest point in Lang.
Reply 3
Original post by emma543
For English Language, just continually do past paper practise :smile:. For Literature, I did mind maps, which sort of had an essay plan on them, and then wrote tons of practise ones! I also made flash cards to learn quotes.

In terms, of other subjects, active recall methods like making flash cards are great for just learning the content- don't waste your time making notes! I also would emphasise the importance of doing exam questions- particularly sciences- I only learned this at A-Level, and I wish someone had put more emphasis on it!

My revision method:
1) Learn the content- photocopier method- write it out till you can recite it- I tend to do this as I make the flash cards...
2) Make quizlet flashcards on the content. Read through the textbook and make questions on everything e.g. What is the role of a nucleus? I have different sets for each sub-topic
3) Learn the flash cards. Keep going through them. If I get one wrong, I type it out five times and "star" it (if you make physical ones, just put it to one side)
4) Then before learning something new, I'll go through the starred flash cards. Again, if I get it wrong, I write it out five times.
5) Once I'm happy with that topic, I do exam question practise. If I get an exam q wrong, I add it to my flash card set.
6) Then just keep going through the flashcards, refreshing yourself. I usually like to spend some time going through something I have previously learned, before learning something new. So, basically in a revision session, I'll spend the first half recapping and the second half learning something new.

I'll definitely try this. Thanks so much!
Reply 4
Original post by eatmybubbles
I got a 9 in both english lit and lang. What I did was to organise quotes according to key themes and right briefly about the context (Macbeth). For language I did a lot of past papers and kept a small journal with me to describe settings of places I like. I mostly bullet pointed descriptions to keep using. It helps a lot with creative writing since that was my weakest point in Lang.

This is really useful; thanks so much!
Original post by emma543

My revision method:

What subjects did you take :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by umchileanyways
What subjects did you take :smile:

German, history, food tech and triple science (+ all the other ones!!!) :smile:
Original post by emma543
German, history, food tech and triple science (+ all the other ones!!!) :smile:

How did you revise german (I do french but I'm sure the same can be applied to French) and history.
Did you do crime and punishment for hisotry
Reply 8
Original post by umchileanyways
How did you revise german (I do french but I'm sure the same can be applied to French) and history.
Did you do crime and punishment for hisotry

For German, a lot of quizlet! I used quizlet to learn vocab. I also did a lot of practise papers for listening, writing, and reading. I also went in to the writing exam with some learned phrases which I had my teacher check so I knew they were right- make sure to use a variety of tenses,

History I did American West, Medicine, Russia, and Anglo-Saxons, if that's any use to you :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AA..
This is really useful; thanks so much!

No probs, good luck !!

Quick Reply

Latest