The Student Room Group

Anyone planning on sitting October exams as a backup?

I don't know 100% but you can apparently choose between the grade you get and your CAGs so it might be worth it. Anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can ask for your Summer certificate to be updated to show a better Autumn grade. Sitting exams in the Autumn would still be a considerable effort. By no means everyone did better last Autumn.
Original post by Compost
You can ask for your Summer certificate to be updated to show a better Autumn grade. Sitting exams in the Autumn would still be a considerable effort. By no means everyone did better last Autumn.

That's actually really relieving to hear, thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by stressedasfff
I don't know 100% but you can apparently choose between the grade you get and your CAGs so it might be worth it. Anyone else?

Our school said if we do well in these mocks, they chose those grades over the previous exams throughout y12 and y13. if we do bad, they take your 'best' grade from previous exams.

What October exams?
Our exams finish in June lol

And our CAGs are our final grades
Reply 5
Original post by chelsea.uri
What October exams?
Our exams finish in June lol

And our CAGs are our final grades

Candidates not happy with their final issued CAG can opt to take exams in October for free
Original post by Compost
Candidates not happy with their final issued CAG can opt to take exams in October for free

But aren’t you capped? And won’t you have a levels to focus on? Wouldn’t it be free anyway?
But aren’t you capped? And won’t you have a levels to focus on? Wouldn’t it be free anyway?

I don't really understand your questions, but usually you need to pay centres to sit exams and you aren't capped this year because you can choose which of the grades you want.
Reply 8

Capped by what (and why)? In theory you could get a U in the Summer and an A* in the Autumn.

This is an A level post so I assumed the OP was asking about re-sitting A levels. GCSE re-sits are available in November but yes. re-sitting might distract people from their A level studies.

Generally people re-sitting (apart from if they get below a 4 in GCSE Maths or English Language) have to pay to re-sit. This can be very expensive
I don't really understand your questions, but usually you need to pay centres to sit exams and you aren't capped this year because you can choose which of the grades you want.

You have a levels this september lol idk what other way to explain it. Resitting a gcse will take up your time so I advice you to just do well now tbh. I know it's usually not free which is why I'm surprised that it's free this year. Instead of resitting why don't you just appeal? Wdym I can choose my grade? The teachers use evidence to decide on a final grade.

Original post by Compost
Capped by what (and why)? In theory you could get a U in the Summer and an A* in the Autumn.

This is an A level post so I assumed the OP was asking about re-sitting A levels. GCSE re-sits are available in November but yes. re-sitting might distract people from their A level studies.

Generally people re-sitting (apart from if they get below a 4 in GCSE Maths or English Language) have to pay to re-sit. This can be very expensive

Capped at a level 5 if you resit I think. Idk why just do well in the first place tbh. Yes you could do that but like I said, I don't want to be doing year 11 work in year 12 just get it right and do it well the first time lol.
Ok
I know
Capped at a level 5 if you resit I think.

No it's not, you get the grade your Autumn exams deserve - which could be anything from a U to a 9.
Original post by Compost
No it's not, you get the grade your Autumn exams deserve - which could be anything from a U to a 9.

Will Autumn exams be full A-Levels this year? Or will it be reduced content?
Original post by 5hyl33n
Will Autumn exams be full A-Levels this year? Or will it be reduced content?

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consultation-on-arrangements-for-an-autumn-2021-exam-series

4. The exams will be in their normal format, with no adaptations being made.
Original post by Compost

Could you kindly disclose the provenance of this statement? I am well aware autumn examinations last year required no entry fees from students for administration. However, I have seen nowhere that this will be the case in autumn 2021; in fact, I have contacted the DfE and currently await particulars to this end. However, please share if you know something that we do not.
(edited 2 years ago)
Well I dk that but I would defo fail since I av not read a book in practically a year
You have a levels this september lol idk what other way to explain it. Resitting a gcse will take up your time so I advice you to just do well now tbh. I know it's usually not free which is why I'm surprised that it's free this year. Instead of resitting why don't you just appeal? Wdym I can choose my grade? The teachers use evidence to decide on a final grade.

Capped at a level 5 if you resit I think. Idk why just do well in the first place tbh. Yes you could do that but like I said, I don't want to be doing year 11 work in year 12 just get it right and do it well the first time lol.
Ok
I know

I wasn't talking about resitting GCSEs, I was talking about A levels.
Reply 17
Original post by Compost
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consultation-on-arrangements-for-an-autumn-2021-exam-series

4. The exams will be in their normal format, with no adaptations being made.

So does that mean we’d have to teach our selves the topics that we missed out on learning due to Covid etc? 😟
Original post by kaykayjohnson
Could you kindly disclose the provenance of this statement? I am well aware autumn examinations last year required no entry fees from students for administration. However, I have seen nowhere that this will be the case in autumn 2021; in fact, I have contacted the DfE and currently await particulars to this end. However, please share if you know something that we do not.

I have seen nothing in writing. I inferred it as the only logical way forward given the rules last year and the similarities with this.
Original post by Compost
I have seen nothing in writing. I inferred it as the only logical way forward given the rules last year and the similarities with this.

I entirely agree, however, to presuppose that individually is one matter and to promulgate it is as gospel is another. The latter is quite misleading, and in that case, it would be better-advised to withhold judgment until further information is provided in due course.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest