The Student Room Group

Requirements for law

How successful would the application for law if the subjects for A levels is mainly science subjects?
Reply 1
It would have no bearing on your admissions chances.
There are no “preferred” subjects for law.
Original post by Mikos
It would have no bearing on your admissions chances.
There are no “preferred” subjects for law.

there are definitely preferred subjects at some universities, but there are no required subjects
Reply 3
I did completely science subjects for A-levels and am studying law at the moment. Some universities may want Eng Lit as a subject (I’ve only seen one uni ask for it?).

The tricky bit in applying is when you’re writing your personal statement, otherwise there is no real difficulty. The most important part is your predicted grades for A-levels and LNAT score if the uni you want requires it.

However, are you sure you want to do law? I am struggling as heck in writing my essays and got 2:2s & 3rds before. There isn’t any real answers in law and they are extremely particular about the accuracy & succinctness of your answers. Don’t underestimate this bit. Even now I wished that I did medicine instead. :colonhash:

All the best to u though!
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
there are definitely preferred subjects at some universities, but there are no required subjects

Which universities?
Original post by Mikos
Which universities?

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/law-jurisprudence suggests "A subject involving essay writing" which would be a subject preference
Reply 6
Original post by HoldThisL
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/law-jurisprudence suggests "A subject involving essay writing" which would be a subject preference

It is not a subject preference, it’s just a suggestion. A preference would be the orange or red circles. The reason why it’s green is because people who are more used to writing essays are more likely to succeed on section 2 on the LNAT. However, those doing essay subjects would not have an admissions advantage over those who chose sciences. :smile:
Reply 7
Do you mind sharing your grades and what uni did you apply to? What uni are you in now?
Reply 8
Original post by Mialee99
Do you mind sharing your grades and what uni did you apply to? What uni are you in now?

Who is this directed to?
Reply 9
Original post by Mikos
Who is this directed to?

Wifd149

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending