The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine A-Level subjects queries UPDATED for 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

's thread for medicine A-level queries here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 outlines the subject requirements for all UK medical schools currently. As you can see, not all require A-level chemistry (13 in total do not), so it's certainly not "nearly impossible" to go into a standard entry medicine degree as a school leaver now).If medicine is your goal, it would be much better to take a year out and reapply to medicine with your current A-levels (or taking A-level Chemistry in the gap year give yourself the full range of options) rather than doing another degree with the aim of doing graduate entry medicine (GEM).

This is because GEM courses are much more competitive than standard entry medicine courses (it's not uncommon for GEM applicants to reapply for a couple years in a row I understand), and you also need to pay ~1/3 of the first year tuition fee out of pocket and so is much more expensive up front; it will also take longer than the alternative. You can apply to standard entry medicine courses as a graduate of course, however this is even more expensive as you will only receive a maintenance loan and no tuition fee loan for the first 4 years of the standard entry course. Thus, it is basically always better financially and in terms of total time to qualify (if that matters, which it doesn't but some people get hung up on that) to take a gap year (or two or three) and reapply to medicine.
(edited 2 years ago)
Really depends where you apply because some unis will take you with just chemistry or just biology and some biology and chemistry but nowadays most don’t really care about your third option so pick something you like and will get a good grade in :smile:
Hi!

I’m currently in year 11 and want to do medicine after my A levels, so I’ve chosen Biology and Chemistry. I’m not sure whether i should take psychology or politics as my 3rd A level, I’m very interested and passionate about both subjects so I’m having difficulty deciding.

I’m open to taking both but I’d rather not since Biology and Chemistry will take up most of my attention.

I’ve looked at the specification for both, but I don’t know which exam board my college uses so I can’t know the exact content.

I want to go into forensic psychiatry, if that helps.
Which should I take? Psychology or Politics?
(edited 2 years ago)
I would say psychology is more relevant for the career you want
There is whole section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - including A level subjects required : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

If a Uni only specifies two sciences and doesnt say anything about 'preferred' subjects for the 3rd A level, it can be any subject - and therefore it makes sense to pick a subject you will enjoy and one where you feel confident of getting that important A grade.
Please help, I can't decide between the both of these. I know RS migh fair better than computing but, which one will help me the most in medicine. Please anyone help!!!!
Original post by kasig195
Please help, I can't decide between the both of these. I know RS migh fair better than computing but, which one will help me the most in medicine. Please anyone help!!!!

Both are absolutely fine, unless you want to go to Cambridge (read the first post of this thread)
I'd do whichever you feel you'll get the best grade in.
Original post by Renee.Michelle
If you’re looking to study medicine and you’re already planning on choosing bio and chem then you don’t need to do maths. I can’t think of any unis that require you to do all 3, it normally if you only do one science then they require maths as well but as you are planning to do two sciences then you’ll be fine. I’d say go for english lit if you’re better at it plus it may help with any future essay writing in uni or even just for a personal statement. Hope this helped (:

Just to add on, it’s good to have maths knowledge for medicine but there is a lot of maths in chemistry and also quite a bit in bio so you should be fine

if I dont get the a level grades for med school n do bio med or something n apply for graduate entry do i still get student loan for both the biomed and the actual medicine course fees
Original post by Rohan007best
if I dont get the a level grades for med school n do bio med or something n apply for graduate entry do i still get student loan for both the biomed and the actual medicine course fees

GEM is much more competitive (higher interview to offer ratios) and requires higher entry test scores (needed a UCAT pretty much over 3000 this year) but fees are paid, except for the first around £3500 of the first year. Grads who apply for A100 would not get tuition fee funding and have to find the full £9250, up front, for the first 4 years.

If you do not get the grades, take a gap year, resit and reapply to standard entry medicine, as this is the easiest, shortest and cheapest way to get a medical degree
Chemistry, psychology and maths.
Original post by sweetescobar

I am pretty sure you are only allowed to do medicine if you do chemistry and another given science like biology, psychology is not really a science it has some elements in it, I will double check now

Actually take it back, you are allowed to do medicine with maths and chemistry good luck !!
I was wondering, what if I switched psychology with computer science, is cs considered a science.
I was wondering, what if I switched psychology with computer science, is cs considered a science.

No, but Chemistry and maths is OK for everywhere who does not need Biology except Lancaster and Southampton, I think, so unless you are particularly interested in those, it would not make any difference what your 3rd subject is
Please advise whether Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Art & Design are good combination of four subjects to study at A Level for Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Kings & Queens? Will there be any benefit of doing EPQ in Biology which may help one university over other? I will go for both BMAT & UCAT and preferably put two BMAT (Oxbridge, Imperial or UCL) options and two UCAT options (Kings, Queens) in my UCAS. Many thanks
Thanks ecolier. I don’t want to drop Art & Design as it offer a good distraction and helps me in focusing more on my core Bio, Chem & Maths subjects. I like writings essays that’s why thinking of EPQ in Biology. Between Cambridge and Oxford which university will offer higher chances of getting admission. Consider meeting all criteria (High GCSE score, High BMAT score, High A level score). There must be a probability of succeeding one over other.
Original post by Pawan.Rathore
Thanks ecolier. I don’t want to drop Art & Design as it offer a good distraction and helps me in focusing more on my core Bio, Chem & Maths subjects. I like writings essays that’s why thinking of EPQ in Biology. Between Cambridge and Oxford which university will offer higher chances of getting admission. Consider meeting all criteria (High GCSE score, High BMAT score, High A level score). There must be a probability of succeeding one over other.

Well, Imperial is probably more 'likely' than UCL just because their selection process is clearer so you will definitely interview if you pass the BMAT cutoff. UCL is more holistic and therefore subjective.
At the end of the day if you have perfect stats you'll interview everywhere (eg I interviewed at ICL, UCL, KCL and QMUL) - the issue is that if you don't, Imperial, Oxford, Kings and QMUL (say) all emphasise different things so you wouldn't be able to apply strategically to all 4. Come back when you have your GCSE grades, predicteds, UCAT and we can advise you.

If you have a perfect BMAT, all 9/8s at GCSE and A*A*A predicted in 3 sciences you'll interview at both Oxford and Cambridge so then it comes down to your aptitude at interview. Oxford tends to be a little more competitive overall https://public.tableau.com/profile/alec6322#!/vizhome/UKmedicalschoolapplicationratios2017-19/DomesticOtherRatios but would have a lower offer so you might be more likely to convert the offer to a place.
Reply 3018
Original post by Pawan.Rathore
Please advise whether Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Art & Design are good combination of four subjects to study at A Level for Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Kings & Queens? Will there be any benefit of doing EPQ in Biology which may help one university over other? I will go for both BMAT & UCAT and preferably put two BMAT (Oxbridge, Imperial or UCL) options and two UCAT options (Kings, Queens) in my UCAS. Many thanks

What do you mean by Queens? QMUL, generally known at BARTs use your UCAS tariff so 4 A levels and an EPQ (and music exams etc) all help to secure an interview. QUB like 3 A levels plus an EPQ or AS.
@becausethenight thanks for your useful insight. what’s your advise in this case. Which four options I should consider?

Quick Reply