The Student Room Group

I didn’t study Economics at A level. How can I prepare for the economics interview?

I’m planning to apply for economics but I didn’t study the subject in school. I was told that wouldn’t be a problem but I feel unsure and I’d love get some advice as to what I could expect and what I should prepare for.

My A level subjects are: Maths, Further Maths, History and English literature.
(edited 2 years ago)
Demonstrate how you've engaged with the subject outside of school. For instance, what made you so interested in economics? Have you read books in relation to it? Have you watched any podcasts? Has there been anything on the news which is related to economics that caught your attention? Any economic policies that you can critic? Etc.
Reply 2
Original post by neemboo.x
Demonstrate how you've engaged with the subject outside of school. For instance, what made you so interested in economics? Have you read books in relation to it? Have you watched any podcasts? Has there been anything on the news which is related to economics that caught your attention? Any economic policies that you can critic? Etc.

If I choose talk about a certain topic in my PS that I have an interest in, will part of the interview be based on that?

It just seems rather broad.
Original post by AA2k1997
If I choose talk about a certain topic in my PS that I have an interest in, will part of the interview be based on that?

It just seems rather broad.

I can't really guarantee anything, but I think it's very likely the interviewer would want you to elaborate on certain parts of your ps. So if you're going to mention anything in your ps, ensure that you have a sufficient understanding of it
Read, watch, listen to anything that interests you in relation to Economics and really explore the subject. You don't need to talk about any particular area or topic - talk about ones that interest you rather than what you think would look best or impressive, as our academics are much more interested in your ideas and thoughts! There are no guarantees that you will be asked questions based on your personal statement but you should always be prepared to have a discussion on anything you write about.

At Christ's we have a 'Helpful Resources' section on all of our subject pages which can be a stepping stone to get your started on further reading and exploration. You definitely don't need to or are expected to do any or all of these - it's just there to help if it interests you. Click here for our one on Economics. We're also running regular webinars on Preparing to Apply & Personal Statements if you're looking for a bit more guidance on that too, which covers super-curriculars and writing the personal statement. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending