The Student Room Group

First Time Driver

Hey kind folks. I just took the road test (for my driver’s license) and, despite making some silly mistakes, I passed! However, I’m feeling rather apprehensive and anxious about the experience. I feel I did well on some parts and not so well on others and maybe I should not have deserved to pass?The instructor was nice but made me feel like my mistakes were really severe even though I simply forgot to turn on my blinker once (in a roundabout of all places), turned too soon, and had a slight problem with lane control during my turns (are you not allowed to go even the slightest bit onto the yellow lines that spilt the two lanes so you don’t hit the curb and turn too sharply?). Anyways, I’m excited to drive but I’ve been feeling really bothered ever since I passed and feel kinda awful about what happened. It’s quite overwhelming at the moment and I can’t seem to get my mind off it. Any advice, suggestions, or reassurance would be highly appreciated as I don’t know what to do. Thanks!
Reply 1
My advice would be to wait until a period when the roads are queiter and perhaps take an experienced driver with you, and practice the things you aren't comfortable with, until you feel a little more confident.
Reply 2
Original post by andritber
Hey kind folks. I just took the road test (for my driver’s license) and, despite making some silly mistakes, I passed! However, I’m feeling rather apprehensive and anxious about the experience. I feel I did well on some parts and not so well on others and maybe I should not have deserved to pass?The instructor was nice but made me feel like my mistakes were really severe even though I simply forgot to turn on my blinker once (in a roundabout of all places), turned too soon, and had a slight problem with lane control during my turns (are you not allowed to go even the slightest bit onto the yellow lines that spilt the two lanes so you don’t hit the curb and turn too sharply?). Anyways, I’m excited to drive but I’ve been feeling really bothered ever since I passed and feel kinda awful about what happened. It’s quite overwhelming at the moment and I can’t seem to get my mind off it. Any advice, suggestions, or reassurance would be highly appreciated as I don’t know what to do. Thanks!

If the tester was in anyway concerned you would be unsafe on the roads they would not have passed you. They pointed out your errors for you to learn from them and help improve your driving but they are not things that are serious or dangerous. You are bound to get even better with practice - the more you drive the better you will become. Don't worry.
Have you thought about doing Pass Plus? May help to increase your confidence.
Reply 4
Original post by JaseyB
My advice would be to wait until a period when the roads are queiter and perhaps take an experienced driver with you, and practice the things you aren't comfortable with, until you feel a little more confident.

Thank you for the advice!
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
Have you thought about doing Pass Plus? May help to increase your confidence.

Great idea! I’ll look into it.
Reply 6
Original post by AHKS
If the tester was in anyway concerned you would be unsafe on the roads they would not have passed you. They pointed out your errors for you to learn from them and help improve your driving but they are not things that are serious or dangerous. You are bound to get even better with practice - the more you drive the better you will become. Don't worry.

Thank you for the reassurance. I think I might have been a little hard on myself. Your words mean a lot!
practice makes perfect
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by tinygirl96
practice makes perfecf

You’re right. I may have been just a little rusty.
Use the app and make notes too. See if you can test yourself each time as well.
Original post by andritber
Great idea! I’ll look into it.

I second this! I did it when I took a gap between passing my test and getting back on the road just to get back into it again. Just spending more time with the instructor brought my confidence up a bit more.

Also, when I passed my test I remember my Dad saying “Now it’s time to learn how to drive”. You are taught to pass the test and be a safe driver, but your experiences on the road from now on, and inevitably some small mistakes here and there, will really teach you how to drive.
This is a list of top tips

Plan your journey carefully
At railways be alert and calm
Make notes
Get feedback
Pay attention to other people etc
Remain calm
Keep reminding yourself of the rules
Avoid distractions
Update your knowledge
Never drink and drive
Act smart and responsible
Evaluate your technique
Obtain insurance
Reply 12
Original post by carrotstar
I second this! I did it when I took a gap between passing my test and getting back on the road just to get back into it again. Just spending more time with the instructor brought my confidence up a bit more.

Also, when I passed my test I remember my Dad saying “Now it’s time to learn how to drive”. You are taught to pass the test and be a safe driver, but your experiences on the road from now on, and inevitably some small mistakes here and there, will really teach you how to drive.

Thank you for your feedback mate!
Reply 13
Original post by tinygirl96
This is a list of top tips

Plan your journey carefully
At railways be alert and calm
Make notes
Get feedback
Pay attention to other people etc
Remain calm
Keep reminding yourself of the rules
Avoid distractions
Update your knowledge
Never drink and drive
Act smart and responsible
Evaluate your technique
Obtain insurance

That’s a really great list. I appreciate all your advice tinygirl69! I will definitely try to consider these tips when driving on my own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending