(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Rhys_M
Hi can somebody solve this AS 6 marker for me please:
Given x≠1, find 3/(x-2) < 2

The answer is x>5/2, x<1
I get x>5/2 but don't understand why x<1
Thank you

Can you post the original question and your solution pls, as per normal.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Can you post the original question and your solution pls, as per normal.

106EDB17-0C36-4A32-8E93-C4E5BE32AF4F.png
Reply 3
Original post by Rhys_M
106EDB17-0C36-4A32-8E93-C4E5BE32AF4F.png

Note the question is different from what you posted.
From line 1 to line 2 in your solution, what do you assume?

Alternatively, stick a few values in / sketch the original function (desmos?) to check.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Can you pls delete and let the OP think about this first.
Original post by mqb2766
Can you pls delete and let the OP think about this first.

Was only trying to help
Reply 6
Original post by Georgiaspriggs
Was only trying to help

Yea i appreciate it - he's really rude
Original post by Rhys_M

Have you got the answer?
Also another good app for maths I think is photo math.
I think people assume it’s just good for finding the answer but when you are really stuck it talks you through how to solve :smile: good luck
Reply 8
Original post by Rhys_M

There was nothing rude in my replies.
Reply 9
Have you got the answer?
Also another good app for maths I think is photo math.
I think people assume it’s just good for finding the answer but when you are really stuck it talks you through how to solve :smile: good luck

Yea I'll try it - thanks mate
Reply 10
Was only trying to help

Original post by Rhys_M

If you're planning to post in the Maths forum regularly, please take a moment to read through the posting guidelines in the Sticky thread in this forum:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4919248

In particular please note that we give hints and guidance, not full solutions, and it always helps to see a picture of the original question as posters often mistype things (as happened here :smile: ). Thanks.
Reply 11
Original post by davros
If you're planning to post in the Maths forum regularly, please take a moment to read through the posting guidelines in the Sticky thread in this forum:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4919248

In particular please note that we give hints and guidance, not full solutions, and it always helps to see a picture of the original question as posters often mistype things (as happened here :smile: ). Thanks.

Ok i will - thanks
Original post by Rhys_M

Regular posters here (the people who can and might help you) know that mqb2766 spends a lot of time helping students here often without thanks and for no personal gain.

Who's rude?
Original post by Rhys_M
Ok i will - thanks

An apology and editing your rude comment would be goid
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
An apology and editing your rude comment would be goid

Another guy tried to help me and mqb told him not to and let the OPs do it - which i think is kinda rude considering the guy was trying to help me
Original post by Rhys_M
Another guy tried to help me and mqb told him not to and let the OPs do it - which i think is kinda rude considering the guy was trying to help me

Yes because 'the other guy' was breaking forum rules ... mqb spends a lot of time helping people.
Im just gong to make one post on this and then leaving it. The sticky says
* not to offer extra hints/help if help is already being offered
* not to jump in if a thread is already being answered
... As the other poster clearly stated the error that had been made, I asked them to delete it for those reasons.

As a reflection why, assuming the multiplier/divisor is +ive in an inequality is a reasonably common mistake to make. Usually its good to be able to figure out ways yourself to identify such problems. As well as sketching and/or subbing values into the function as one way to verify an answer (which was suggested originally to help and could have been used to work out whether the OP or the MS was correct), I was going to suggest trying
1/x < 1
whch is a gcse reciprocal function which has all the properties of the question. That graph/answre should be well known and the question is just a simple transformation of it.

So I was trying to encourage the OP to debug/validate their solution (subbing values, sketching, simplifying). I had a quick look through previous posting history and I've helped them a few times previously.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest