The Student Room Group

Grade boundaries for this year?

Hello,

I’m retaking maths GCSE as a part of my university offer as an external candidate. Each centre is assessing student differently. I had to sit two papers, paper 1 (non calc) and paper 2 (calc) but not paper 3 and was given a list of topics to revise few weeks prior. I found paper 2 quite difficult and need to get a grade 6 but was aiming for a 7.

How will the grade boundaries be calculated this year. Will they be more lenient or less?
Thanks!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I’m hoping they’ll be more lenient given everything we’ve been through, however lots of schools are giving students the questions/hints in advance in which case everyone will do better and grade boundaries increase... So it’s hard to guess!!!
Reply 2
Original post by ..M..
I’m hoping they’ll be more lenient given everything we’ve been through, however lots of schools are giving students the questions/hints in advance in which case everyone will do better and grade boundaries increase... So it’s hard to guess!!!

Yeh I was given a list of topics few weeks in advance but that’s about it. I’ve heard of other centres do much more. I really hope they’re more lenient.

Do you know if teachers mark it or they send it off to the exam board like they usually do?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by S1M001
Yeh I was given a list of topics few weeks in advance but that’s about it. I’ve heard of other centres do much more. I really hope they’re more lenient.

Do you know if teachers mark it or they send it off to the exam board like they usually do?

I don’t think they send it off to them exam board but many schools are sending work/results to other schools for external moderation to make sure there’s no bias eg a teacher trying to give their favourite student better grades!
Original post by S1M001

Hi, what was the list of topics you were given if it was for the 2020 paper. My school haven't given us any help so I'm gonna fail lol
Reply 5
It's up to centres to decide what assessments to use and to decide what grade boundaries to use with them so there are no national grade boundaries.
Reply 6
Original post by ellieee345
Hi, what was the list of topics you were given if it was for the 2020 paper. My school haven't given us any help so I'm gonna fail lol

My centre created their own exam paper so my revision list might not be correct for the 2020 paper. If you still want it let me know,

Quick Reply

Latest