The Student Room Group

Speeding on motorway

I think the camera flashed me at 95 while on the motorway . What punishment do you think I will obtain??
Original post by 0102C
I think the camera flashed me at 95 while on the motorway . What punishment do you think I will obtain??

You will at worst get a fine and points on your license.
If it over a certain speed then its could be a ban but this is determined by courts.
You'll get sent a notification within 7 - 14 days about this and see what happens once you recieve it.
Original post by 0102C

I checked this the other day. I've just started driving and I think I did 73 at a speed camera, but that's within the limit at which you can travel over.
Over 86mph, however, It's a gona be a a speed awareness course at best, but you're most likely looking at 3pnts and fine. Which can be up to £2.5k on a motorway
Reply 3
Original post by fenton484
I did 73 at a speed camera, but that's within the limit at which you can travel over.

This is untrue. Legally speaking, 1mph over the limit is against the law.
Reply 4
Original post by 0102C

If you were too inept to spot a big yellow speed camera then hopefully your licence is revoked as you clearly should not be on the roads.
Original post by IWMTom
This is untrue. Legally speaking, 1mph over the limit is against the law.

Well, I checked on the government website and the speedcamera allows up to 73 on a motorway, 2mph over on any other road.
Original post by IWMTom
If you were too inept to spot a big yellow speed camera then hopefully your licence is revoked as you clearly should not be on the roads.

Tbf on motorways they aren't usually of that variety, they're often on gantries
Reply 7
Well, I checked on the government website and the speedcamera allows up to 73 on a motorway, 2mph over on any other road.

Would you like to cite your sources? There is no basis in law for this.

71mph in a 70mph zone is a criminal offence.

Likelyhood of prosecution at this overage is another matter.
Reply 8
Tbf on motorways they aren't usually of that variety, they're often on gantries

Most in gantry cameras have now been replaced with HADECS cameras at the side of the road, but for those still in the gantry the white lines on the tarmac are an obvious giveaway...
Original post by IWMTom
Most in gantry cameras have now been replaced with HADECS cameras at the side of the road, but for those still in the gantry the white lines on the tarmac are an obvious giveaway...

If you're driving at 95mph then you're probably going too fast to see them.
Original post by IWMTom
Would you like to cite your sources? There is no basis in law for this.

71mph in a 70mph zone is a criminal offence.

Likelyhood of prosecution at this overage is another matter.

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/speed-camera-tolerances

So in some jurasdictions you could actually do 79mph in a 70 and be fine. There is a tolerance level for speed cameras before they flash you.

I was on a dual carriageway a while back, doing 60 in a 50 and I never got flashed, though that might have been because the camera wasn't actually in service.
Reply 11
If you're driving at 95mph then you're probably going too fast to see them.

Sort of my point........
Reply 12
https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/speed-camera-tolerances

So in some jurasdictions you could actually do 79mph in a 70 and be fine. There is a tolerance level for speed cameras before they flash you.

I was on a dual carriageway a while back, doing 60 in a 50 and I never got flashed, though that might have been because the camera wasn't actually in service.

This is not a Government website as you stated earlier.

Like I said...
"Likelyhood of prosecution at this overage is another matter."

The problem with these arbitrary thresholds is that the force involved can change them arbitrarily too, and an officer can always use their discretion to bypass it. The ACPO guidelines are exactly that - guidelines!

Ultimately the law is the law - a single mph over the posted limit is a criminal offence.
Original post by IWMTom
This is not a Government website as you stated earlier.

Like I said...
"Likelyhood of prosecution at this overage is another matter."

The problem with these arbitrary thresholds is that the force involved can change them arbitrarily too, and an officer can always use their discretion to bypass it. The ACPO guidelines are exactly that - guidelines!

Ultimately the law is the law - a single mph over the posted limit is a criminal offence.

My bad, here it is, albeit for Northern Ireland, though I believe its the same for the rest of the UK.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/speed-limits-and-penalties-breaking-them
Reply 14
My bad, here it is, albeit for Northern Ireland, though I believe its the same for the rest of the UK.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/speed-limits-and-penalties-breaking-them

No idea what you're trying to show here? This article doesn't relate to what you said.
Original post by IWMTom
No idea what you're trying to show here? This article doesn't relate to what you said.

The limits for a speed awareness course. OP is above 86 and so wouldn't be eligible for it. So he will be fined
Reply 16

As a reminder, you said this. I asked for a source, and now you're talking about something entirely different.

See the problem?
Reply 17

If the legal speed limit is 70mph then the legal speed limit is 70mph not 73...
Someone who’s prepared to do 95mph on a motorway just tells me you’ve done this before and probably been fined or been on a course before? Also depends if you’re a new driver like you’ve only been driving say under 2 years or something they look at you like we expected better. Doing over 90mph in a 70 zone there’s no way he’s walking out with just a speed awareness course.

Quite frankly if you’re prepared to break the law be prepared to face the consequences, speeding isn’t worth it.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending