The Student Room Group
Reply 1
someone please reply
Reply 2
I mean , you were young then i guess. Just try not to do it again if it makes u feel so bad? whats in the past is in the past.. you need to forgive yourself? Its a good sign that you feel guilty
Reply 3
Original post by Fkhan2202
I mean , you were young then i guess. Just try not to do it again if it makes u feel so bad? whats in the past is in the past.. you need to forgive yourself? Its a good sign that you feel guilty

idk
Reply 4
Original post by Fkhan2202

I havent done so in the past 2 years
Reply 5
bump
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
So I am south Asian but not Pakistani. 2 years ago, when I was in year 8 I used to say the P word all the time. The word is used at us south asians but its still not an excuse for me saying. A slur is a word that is used to dehumanise people. I don't know why I feel so guilty 2 years later

Unless you have been living under a rock your whole life - every South Asian person in the UK should know that the P-word has racist connotations since white people started using it against South Asian immigrants in the 1950's/60's. Nowadays the only acceptable use of the P-word is Pakistani people using it to describe other Pakistani's, in the same way that black people took up the N-word to address each other. If you are not Pakistani, you have no right to use the P-word. The reason you feel guilty now is because deep down you are aware that it's associated with racism, and you're not Pakistani. Whether you were aware of the racism back then, or you chose to ignore it, I don't know. But perhaps your feeling of guilt shows that you have learned your lesson and you won't do it again.
Original post by asif007
Unless you have been living under a rock your whole life - every South Asian person in the UK should know that the P-word has racist connotations since white people started using it against South Asian immigrants in the 1950's/60's. Nowadays the only acceptable use of the P-word is Pakistani people using it to describe other Pakistani's, in the same way that black people took up the N-word to address each other. If you are not Pakistani, you have no right to use the P-word. The reason you feel guilty now is because deep down you are aware that it's associated with racism, and you're not Pakistani. Whether you were aware of the racism back then, or you chose to ignore it, I don't know. But perhaps your feeling of guilt shows that you have learned your lesson and you won't do it again.

no. do not compare the p-word to the n-word in any way.
Reply 8
Original post by QueenKagami

Both racist words now taken up by the people they were formerly used against. Black and Pakistani communities took ownership of racist words and now use them to address others of the same ethnicity without racist connotations. They are comparable whether you like it or not.
If it makes you feel guilty then perhaps don't say it
Original post by asif007
Both racist words now taken up by the people they were formerly used against. Black and Pakistani communities took ownership of racist words and now use them to address others of the same ethnicity without racist connotations. They are comparable whether you like it or not.

can you just keep black communities out of the situation wtf
can you just keep black communities out of the situation wtf

I have said nothing bad against black communities. This is a discussion about racism, so I will include whichever races I want to in order to make my point. Especially as I grew up in a multicultural area with both black and South Asian friends and colleagues.
Original post by asif007
I have said nothing bad against black communities. This is a discussion about racism, so I will include whichever races I want to in order to make my point. Especially as I grew up in a multicultural area with both black and South Asian friends and colleagues.

ok you grew up in a multicultural area and have black friends 😂 do you want a medal? it's just very sad you need to refer to black people for your point to be valid.
ok you grew up in a multicultural area and have black friends 😂 do you want a medal? it's just very sad you need to refer to black people for your point to be valid.

Bro I don't need validation from anyone let alone you. You're the one who came at me telling me not to mention black people and I'm telling you where to stick it. My point still stands whether you like it or not.
Original post by Anonymous
So I am south Asian but not Pakistani. 2 years ago, when I was in year 8 I used to say the P word all the time. The word is used at us south asians but its still not an excuse for me saying. A slur is a word that is used to dehumanise people. I don't know why I feel so guilty 2 years later

Hiya,

I am Pakistani.

If you're using the work "****," then I can help. That's what it seems like, but if I got it wrong sorry and ignore this.

Personally, I've never minded the word. It depends on who's saying it, the context its said in and the tone.
E.G. if my school friends are saying it to me - bc i tend to dress in traditional clothing more than westernised - then I'll laugh it off and joke about it. However, there have been instances where its used as an insult. For example, You can tell I'm South Asian by my skin tone. On occasion, i've bumped into people, apologised and then they'll call me "a fuc*ing ****" in which case I'd get offended.

Please note this isnt the same for everyone, but this is my feelings towards the word.

If you used it in an offensive manner, then I understand why you may be feeling guilty. However, if used in a lighthearted way, then i dont see a reason to be feeling this way.

If you have anything you wanna ask me about this, then shoot.

what do you mean - they are both slurs and are used to insult a race/ a certain community.
Just don't use it again since you are aware its a racist term.
Reply 17
ik this is from a year ago but you saying that invalidates all the struggle and racism faced by south asians. Is this a competition? Whose race was the most affected? It doesnt matter who faced more racism, theyre both still derogatory words and I'm sure there was so much more slavery and pain that was undocumented for both south asians and black people.

Latest