The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Do I still need to take the ILETS exam ?

I got accepted to the University of Manchester with an A* in IGCSE English as a Second Language, which meets the standard for English language proficiency at UoM. Does that exempt me from having to prove knowledge of the English language when applying to a student visa ? Kindly note that IGCSE ESL is not included on the UKVI's approved list of SELT.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Don't quote me on this, but I have heard that unless you are a British citizen (or permanent residence?) you will most likely have to take IELTS and I don't think GCSE English really counts. But if you managed to do decently at GCSE, IELTS shouldn't need too much additional preparation. I would confirm with teacher at you're school just in case.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Lin_09
I got accepted to the University of Manchester with an A* in IGCSE English as a Second Language, which meets the standard for English language proficiency at UoM. Does that exempt me from having to prove knowledge of the English language when applying to a student visa ? Kindly note that IGCSE ESL is not included on the UKVI's approved list of SELT.

If UoM did not include an English Language condition in your offer and will be issuing you with a CAS, then you don’t need an IELTS for the purposes of obtaining a visa.

To confirm this, I would either speak to either their admissions team or the international office.

Original post by QZ_Zhu
Don't quote me on this, but I have heard that unless you are a British citizen (or permanent residence?) you will most likely have to take IELTS and I don't think GCSE English really counts.

This isn’t true if the Uni is the sponsor for a CAS for the purposes of obtaining a visa. They can accept GCSE/IGCSE English.
Hey there, I'm in a very similar situation to you, I also got an unconditional offer to UOM and they didn't require any proof of English other than my B in IGCSe and the fact that I've previously lived in the UK. I am waiting to get a CAS and then applying for a visa. My question is did you get your student visa without any english tests like IELTS?
Reply 4
Original post by Raisul_Bhuiya
Hey there, I'm in a very similar situation to you, I also got an unconditional offer to UOM and they didn't require any proof of English other than my B in IGCSe and the fact that I've previously lived in the UK. I am waiting to get a CAS and then applying for a visa. My question is did you get your student visa without any english tests like IELTS?

Hi,

I have not applied for a visa yet since I still didn't receive my CAS. I will receive it after A-level results day in August if meet my conditional offer.

With regards to proof of English Language proficiency for my visa, I contacted UoM and was told that since I had met the standard at UoM, my CAS will state that I've had my English Proficiency assessed. Therefore, I won't have to sit any English Assessment exam.

Hope I was of help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending