The Student Room Group

Antibodies

do trispecific antibodies have constant regions
Hello again [after a while]!,

I have not come across the term "trispecific" - sorry!
Some of the different classes [IgA, IgD, IgE, IgG and IgM] and sub-classes [e.g. IgG1, IgA2] of the immunoglobulins [Ig-s] exist as dimers or pentamers [5 IgM molecules with their antigen binding sites [variable regions [Fv] pointing outwards like a star]]. In addition [perhaps what you are thinking of] there is a trimer consisting of three dinitrophenyl antibody molecules joined by three divalent antigens. The enzyme pepsin can remove the Fc portions [constant regions] of this complex, in which case the answer to your Q would be "No".

If you are doing A levels then this level of detail would be a little too much even for the synoptic Q - the examiner him/herself would probably not know this!

Best wishes & be safe!
M
Reply 2
Original post by Hollymae764
do trispecific antibodies have constant regions

This is not something I have come across before, however, after some reading it's quite an interesting topic. Trispecific antibodies recognise three different epitopes or antigens, and it seems as though they may potentially be used in cancer immunotherapy. From what I can see, yes they do have a constant region.
Original post by Jpw1097
This is not something I have come across before, however, after some reading it's quite an interesting topic. Trispecific antibodies recognise three different epitopes or antigens, and it seems as though they may potentially be used in cancer immunotherapy. From what I can see, yes they do have a constant region.

Good morning JPW,
Hope you are well! It is always a pleasure reading your posts.

You had the initiative to look this up [I did not - my books are probs too dated to have this info and I am not drawn to the internet by instinct!] - did you locate the info in a research paper? Can you please cite the paper for me? - yes it sounds highly interesting!

Be safe!
M.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Good morning JPW,
Hope you are well! It is always a pleasure reading your posts.

You had the initiative to look this up [I did not - my books are probs too dated to have this info and I am not drawn to the internet by instinct!] - did you locate the info in a research paper? Can you please cite the paper for me? - yes it sounds highly interesting!

Be safe!
M.

Yes, here are the links:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30249178/
https://www.nature.com/articles/s43018-019-0004-z

You too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending