The Student Room Group

Jordan Peterson

Not sure where to put this but I want to ask why do people dislike this man and try to smear him as far right.

If anyone dislikes him, please explain why in a logical manner.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Burton Bridge
Not sure where to put this but I want to ask why do people dislike this man and try to smear him as far right.

An icon!

One of the greatest men of our time!!!
I think he's great, he's one of the guys I look up to in life.
Original post by RoyalBeams
An icon!

One of the greatest men of our time!!!

Not sure I'd go that far but I litterally don't understand the hatred. I have a theory that I'm testing out, I won't say what it is yet in case in falls flat on its face :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
I like him.

He understands that some people need instructions on how to think for themselves, so he has made millions successfully marketing a book that states the bloody obvious. Thr perfect "intellectual" for the dumbed down Instagram influencer age.
I don't see why people have a problem with him. He's an inspiration. He's very intelligent, a rational man and sadly we are no longer living in an age of reason. Rationality is a foreign concept to today's society. Basic biology and science has been thrown out of the window.
Most of what he says is damn obvious, you cannot take care of a family, let alone save the Palestinian rainforest unless your own life is very much in order, and if you are a barely employed bum with a messy bedroom who spends his free time puffing on the devil's lettuce, then your own life is very much not in order.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ram Ranch
Most of what he says is damn obvious, you cannot take care of a family, let alone save the Palestinian rainforest unless your own life is very much in order, and if you are a barely employed bum with a messy bedroom who spends his free time puffing on the devil's lettuce, then your own life is very much not in order.

This is true, have you ever heard the saying "commonsense isn't common"? What's obvious to some people may not be to others, it's obvious to me that economically I must stay within my salary or ill fall into debt, but the country is full of people with financial difficulties. While I have several properties and one such reason is I understand economics which to me was "damn obvious".
wasnt a huge fan of his 12 rules for life book, was a bit boring/obvious and full of religious bs, i think some people dislike him due to the politics.

In order of how strongly people dislike him:

1) Only superficially dislike him
Many of the people that "dislike" him have not even bothered to listen to what he has to say, and are just parroting the attitudes of narcissistic activists that they follow. Or in other words, they dislike him because it is the popular thing to do, and they don't want to feel like they have no friends.

2) Narcissistic activists
Those narcissistic activists that tend to dislike him, largely do so because it's their job. These activists have followers, social media profiles, and utilise tools such as affiliate marketing to advertise products to their followers through their various channels and profiles. For these people, a large % of their business model relies upon stirring up drama for the attention. Just like narcissists do, except that many activists also learn how to exploit this process for monetary and political gain. Like killing 2 birds with 1 stone. They are not necessarily very emotionally invested in any of it, so do not really have it in them to "hate" Jordan Peterson, though they may still dislike him, and encourage their fans to do the same.

3) Full-on hatred
Those that genuinely hate him, do so because they actually understand what he is saying, and feel it threaten their self-image. He is a clinical psychologist, pretty much an expert at it in his field, with lots of experience and a very large client base. He really knows what he is talking about, and has a deep understanding of human psychology and what makes people tick. He understands how various personality disorders are formed. He understands the familial, social, and cultural factors that influence the development of peoples' personalities, and how these coalesce into larger social, cultural and political trends, and how these can be exploited by certain types of people with opportunistic and callous mindsets.

He understands how 'damaged people' (of various personality types) are created, and how and why they conduct themselves the way they do in the world. Deep down, these people are in pain due to some type of trauma, but they refuse to authentically face it. They may still be able to speak of the trauma, in a very superficial sense without processing the emotions of it. They do this to make people feel sorry for them (victim mentality), and instead repress the real anger, bitterness and the feelings of inadequacy that come with it. They often do this by constructing a false self-image, pretend that they care for other people, fake confidence, exaggerate accomplishments, and can only maintain this false self-image with the help of people (followers) who reinforce their self image by believing it. These are the types of people, who even if they attend therapy, will lie to the therapist just so that they can practice lying on an expert. It literally boosts their confidence to feel like they are a good enough liar to pull something like that off. If they can fool an expert, they can fool anyone. That is how they think.

Without their followers and other people that believe this false self-image of theirs, these peoples' false "confidence" disintegrates. Jordan Peterson, quite literally poses the threat of an existential crisis to these types of people, by calling them out on their behaviors, thoughts and feelings, in public, which induces the extreme feelings of anxiety and anger that these people repress deep inside them and do not want to face. Almost like a PTSD episode, but not quite. That is why they hate him. Examples of when he does this often include instances when he calls people out for their "victim mentality".

These people are a minority. The more extreme their mindset the smaller the minority, but their pursuit of approval (that they will never admit) from other people to maintain their false self-image can mean that they have a very large voice.

Then there are ordinary people that disagree with him, because some of his views on religion are a little bit funny and illogical. But that is not a reason to hate him. It's just healthy debate, that's all. There is nothing really 'deep' to examine for these cases, and not much to write about.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Gent2324
wasnt a huge fan of his 12 rules for life book, was a bit boring/obvious and full of religious bs, i think some people dislike him due to the politics.

What politics exactly? I don't see him as political as for obvious see #8 for my thoughts :smile:
Because he's dumbed down reasonable thoughts to mcnugget snippets for morons.

He's not the problem, his devotees are.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Because he's dumbed down reasonable thoughts to mcnugget snippets for morons.

please explain this?

Original post by Drewski

He's not the problem, his devotees are.

In what way are they "the problem" and what exactly is "the problem" you are referring too?
Original post by Gent2324

I am currently reading 12 rules for life, I think I am on rule 3, I haven't come across anything that promotes religious beliefs.
Original post by AdamMcGregor 1
I’ve never understood it either. Nothing about his teaching could even be considered remotely right-wing.

Edit: he has appeared on podcasts with the likes of Ben Shapiro, but people like Andrew Yang have been on too. And I wouldn’t consider Ben to be far-right, when you actually listen to what he believes.

Ben takes a more political angle however I don't realistically understand why the hatred. Peterson is more on the right than I economically but that's not cause to hate a person
Ben takes a more political angle however I don't realistically understand why the hatred. Peterson is more on the right than I economically but that's not cause to hate a person

He rose to fame partially because of his unfashionable views on transgenderism and compelled speech.
The irrational hatred that is directed towards him probably has something to do with this.
Original post by glassalice
He rose to fame partially because of his unfashionable views on transgenderism and compelled speech.
The irrational hatred that is directed towards him probably has something to do with this.

However when you pull the curtain back there really isn't anything to hate.
I like him. He's a father-figure saying things like 'Clean your room' and 'Stand up straight' and 'Take responsibility for yourself'.

In a world that is devoid of father figures like that, it makes sense that he's made it big. It also makes sense that people hate him, since powerful and direct 'Father figures' are not in fashion at the moment.
This is true, have you ever heard the saying "commonsense isn't common"? What's obvious to some people may not be to others, it's obvious to me that economically I must stay within my salary or ill fall into debt, but the country is full of people with financial difficulties. While I have several properties and one such reason is I understand economics which to me was "damn obvious".

It seems that the modern world has celebrated the absurd, the illogical and the foolish for so long that many people have a frame of reference which is entirely removed from what ought to be considered sane. It's damn obvious, but "Instagram influencer" is one such example of something which is not a job but many aspire to. If everyone were an "Instagram influencer" we would have no stuff, because that is a job which does not involve the creation of more stuff. You could remove it from society and nothing of value would be lost.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ThatOldGuy
I like him. He's a father-figure saying things like 'Clean your room' and 'Stand up straight' and 'Take responsibility for yourself'.

In a world that is devoid of father figures like that, it makes sense that he's made it big. It also makes sense that people hate him, since powerful and direct 'Father figures' are not in fashion at the moment.

This was more my line of thought, the subconscious misandry that is currently very fashionable. Ultimately children do better when they have real male and real female role models, Jordans messages should be encouraged particularly to young men who are falling behind.

Quick Reply

Latest