The Student Room Group

Unsuccessful at newly qualified nurse application

Hi all
Any advice please? My child qualifies this year as a Nurse, band 5.
They have been told today they were unsuccessful for the job they wanted at their current placement. This is in Scotland.
They are beyond gutted as they were promised this job and even had already had induction on the ward where they had applied and are still on placement at.
Who do they contact in the first instance regarding securing another position? It is Friday evening just phoned now at end of play before the weekend!:frown:
thank you so much, a worried parent
Original post by butterbomb
Hi all
They have been told today they were unsuccessful for the job they wanted at their current placement. This is in Scotland.
They are beyond gutted as they were promised this job and even had already had induction on the ward where they had applied and are still on placement at.
Who do they contact in the first instance regarding securing another position? It is Friday evening just phoned now at end of play before the weekend!:frown:

Hi

Your daughter should be the one writing on here to get actually facts behind this.
But understand you probably doing this because of her being upset on this matter.

You said that she qualifies this year - so she still a student untill such time she completes her final exams and see if she do qualify as a nurse.

It ain't unusual to show a potential newly qualified nurse the ropes etc on the ward she currently on doing her placement so that they know where things are about etc etc if they are successful with gaining a job there.

Nobody are gaunantee a job even of they were promised it I'm afraid ok, she must have not done enough at interview and don't forget this it's not just based on one placement but over the 3 years as a student.

The thing is she'll just need to keep applying and try to succeed in getting offered a job and then wait till she knows outcome of her exams results and she tells them this. Afterwards she will need to wait for anything upto 6 - 8 weeks to see if she been successful with the NMC side of things as she can't start till they do all the necessary checks and gets all the required information for her over her whole course and even after that they can still stop her being a nurse as it upto the NMC to say yes or no to her being a nurse. There rules I'm afraid to say.

Look up the NHS Scotland recruitment page and see what is available in area you in.
So even if she did get the job she still couldn't start it till everything with the NMC was in order.

Don't think this only happenening in Scotland as it all over UK this happens with promises of job regardless of interview which shouldn't be happenening.

Where in Scotland did she applied to !!!

I'm a NHS Scotland Adult Nurse & Midwife and I seen things like this lots of time with no prospects of getting job.
Reply 2
Hi all

1. Your child needs to contact the ward, or the interviewers, for interview/application feedback so that they can improve.
2. Get onto the NHS jobs website and start searching for newly qualified jobs as Allyson suggests.
Original post by Emily_B
1. Your child needs to contact the ward, or the interviewers, for interview/application feedback so that they can improve.
2. Get onto the NHS jobs website and start searching for newly qualified jobs as Allyson suggests.

Emily,

The OP forgot to mention that all last year students who applied for jobs and majority of them did interviews for them last February & March and even early April was then told in late July that there interviews and applications were non in void and all of them was to reapply for these positions and I think some didn't get a offer dispite first time of one.
This was sanctioned by the then Scottish government health minister but yet she complaining about not getting offered a job. And how did you think those students all felt with this news - gutted and sick.

If she wants to PM on more on why she didn't get the job then she welcome to.

Yes she needs to ask for feedback etc from them to see where she done wrong and see where she can make improvements.

There is loads of band 5 jobs being advertised up here in recent weeks as seen big batch of 750 twice for those who where about to qualify in the west of Scotland and others Health boards to as scottish NHS seems to be going crazy with jobs recruiting.

If she don't keep applying then obviously won't get one.

How's things with you going xx
Hi all

I'm going to echo what the other's has said on things.

Last year all current 2nd & 3rd years nursing staff got opportunity to do paid work on wards to assist with covid19 instead of placements and university as those were all suspended, everything they did on this opportunity of temp contracts with NHS was used towards there qualifications and wouldn't been punished for it.
Also if I remember right all students got to keep all there bursary money on top of being paid at Band 3 rates.

I remember the big story on the students last year with applying for jobs and was given them etc and suddenly about late June / early July were told that sorry all the jobs they got offered was cancelled and they was told to reapply for them but would use the fast track system and some was given them and others disappointed.

In the Greater Glasgow & Clyde heathboard area they done in late February & again mid April a job advert for 750 nursing & midwifing positions for all upcoming final year student nurses for areas of nursing on band 5 plus many other positions for band 5 nurses especially adult / children nursing.
I know this as I had a student midwife who I was mentoring applied for one of those but they stated they can be sent anywhere within GGC area where the service needs them. She still awaiting to hear on things still about job

I think your daughter won't win any appeals on not getting offered a job regardless of promises that was allegedly made to her and anyone else, I been there to with promises of a job as student midwife but didn't get it and just moved on and applied for other positions available okay.
Can ask for written feedback about it and see what they say reason was.

Can you say what area / heathboard she applied for jobs in !!!
There is quite few band 5 positions available on the NHS website which she should apply for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending