The Student Room Group

Picking a level options!! Need brutal honesty

Hey, I’m a Year 11 student looking to do these A Levels this September:

Geography
Government and Politics
Psychology

And I’m currently torn between choosing A Level Religious Studies or A Level Biology as my fourth.

Which would you recommend I choose and what are your thoughts on my other three options?😎

EDIT: I was thinking of taking 3 A Levels and probably dropping Psychology for an AS Level.
(edited 2 years ago)
Do not do four A levels. No university wants that, just pick three and save yourself the burden. If you hate having free time and want to go ahead and pick four anyway, at least avoid Biology, it's a very heavy and difficult subject from what I've seen.
Original post by CletusYeetus
Do not do four A levels. No university wants that, just pick three and save yourself the burden. If you hate having free time and want to go ahead and pick four anyway, at least avoid Biology, it's a very heavy and difficult subject from what I've seen.

Thank you so much for this response, I was thinking of taking 3 A Levels and getting 1 AS Level.
Reply 3
Original post by HollyMGreening

Geography
Government and Politics
Psychology

And I’m currently torn between choosing A Level Religious Studies or A Level Biology as my fourth.

Which would you recommend I choose and what are your thoughts on my other three options?😎

Have you had any thoughts about University subjects?
Original post by Kerzen
Have you had any thoughts about University subjects?

Hi Kerzen,
I’m interested in international relations or European studies but think I could also be swayed to go into teaching geography as it is by far the subject I am most passionate about since taking it for GCSE.
Reply 5
Hi Kerzen,
I’m interested in international relations or European studies but think I could also be swayed to go into teaching geography as it is by far the subject I am most passionate about since taking it for GCSE.

Apart from your Geography lessons, which you clearly enjoy, which other classes do you really look forward to?
Original post by Kerzen
Apart from your Geography lessons, which you clearly enjoy, which other classes do you really look forward to?

Loved RS, both English Lit and Lang and loathed maths but was fairly good at science. I regret not taking triple science and that’s why I’m more cautious to take biology over RS, especially considering the leap between A Level and GCSE.
Reply 7
Thank you so much for this response, I was thinking of taking 3 A Levels and getting 1 AS Level.

Geography
Government and Politics
Psychology

EDIT: I was thinking of taking 3 A Levels and probably dropping Psychology for an AS Level.

Honestly it’s pretty much pointless doing an AS - it’s just more unnecessary work and unis don’t care abt it and the AS psych stuff is kinda boring. But rs is probs more interesting and less content than biology and if ur doing an as that would b good bc I can guarantee that doing 4 for a year will make u want to off urself, a levels are such a shock compared to gcses
Loved RS, both English Lit and Lang and loathed maths but was fairly good at science. I regret not taking triple science and that’s why I’m more cautious to take biology over RS, especially considering the leap between A Level and GCSE.

hey! I would say there's a bigger leap between rs at GCSE to a-level than the jump between biology. I currently do biology and love it- I'm the only one in my class that did triple but it hasn't benefitted me in any way - we all work at the same level and some people who did combined work better than me! Don't let that put you off especially as A-level biology goes into so much depth we all get taught exactly the same initial content from scratch and then in more detail. Also good shout with geography!! If you feel like you would enjoy biology do it! But then if you prefer more essay subjects and want to do something less science based at uni then dont do biology. Just really take into consideration what you might want to do at uni, but if you dont know then do a range of subjects that do link in someway. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest