The Student Room Group

Finance an iPhone using student finance

Hi, I want to buy an iPhone on finance from Apple however I don’t work I’m a full-time uni student. Is it possible that Barclays could accept me to finance the phone without me working even though I can afford it with my student finance withMy student finance?
Original post by f-x_1-1
Hi, I want to buy an iPhone on finance from Apple however I don’t work I’m a full-time uni student. Is it possible that Barclays could accept me to finance the phone without me working even though I can afford it with my student finance withMy student finance?

Get a cheaper phone and save your money.
Original post by f-x_1-1

Why would a bank agree to take on the risk of financing someone without any income?

If you can afford it with student finance, why would you instead choose to finance it via the bank?

If you're asking this in the first place, why are you considering an iPhone?

None of this makes any sense
Reply 3
Original post by f-x_1-1

Nope, not at all. You don't meet the basic eligibility criteria, nevermind an actual in depth scrutiny of your finances!
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom
Nope, not at all. You don't meet the basic eligibility criteria, nevermind an actual in depth scrutiny of your finances!

Unless you have a credit score off 600 minimum apple’s credit agreement will not accept
Reply 5
Original post by 17starr
Unless you have a credit score off 600 minimum apple’s credit agreement will not accept

This isn't correct. Every lender has their own algorithm for credit worthiness.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
This isn't correct. Every lender has their own algorithm for credit worthiness.

I read it in the apple agreement when I tried to get a phone contract through apple who use Barclays
Reply 7
Original post by 17starr
I read it in the apple agreement when I tried to get a phone contract through apple who use Barclays

I'd love to see an excerpt of this nonsense please.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom

Original post by username5383500
Why would a bank agree to take on the risk of financing someone without any income?

If you can afford it with student finance, why would you instead choose to finance it via the bank?

If you're asking this in the first place, why are you considering an iPhone?

None of this makes any sense

These lot dunnu what their talking about. You 100% can. I bought an iPhone 11 through Barclays finance last year whilst I was on student finance. They accepted it and it actually worked out cheaper than comparable deals at the time because the Barclays loan is 0% interest whereas phone contracts from O2 and the like charge interest on top. Also why would I pay like £700 straight up when I can get it spread out in more affordable chunks at no extra cost? No brainier.
Reply 9
Original post by limellow
These lot dunnu what their talking about. You 100% can. I bought an iPhone 11 through Barclays finance last year whilst I was on student finance. They accepted it and it actually worked out cheaper than comparable deals at the time because the Barclays loan is 0% interest whereas phone contracts from O2 and the like charge interest on top. Also why would I pay like £700 straight up when I can get it spread out in more affordable chunks at no extra cost? No brainier.

If you declared your student loan as employment income then you've told a mistruth and obtained credit by misrepresentation. Consider yourself lucky you didn't get a CIFAS marker.
(edited 2 years ago)
I work for a bank and we dont accept Student Finance as income so no as Im sure barclays are the same
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending