The Student Room Group

Received offer for a course I didn't apply to

Hello everyone,

this might be a very straightforward thing, but I didn't find anything on the FAQ pages of UCAS or KCL, so maybe you can help me:

I applied for International Relations (BA) at KCL and then received an offer from KCL for War Studies and History (BA), without any explanation as to why they didn't accept me for IR or why my choice was "changed". Can anyone maybe help me understand what happened here? Thank you very much in advance!
You should speak to KCL on Monday to ask about this.

Generally this means that they have decided to reject you for IR. but instead of a total rejection they’re willing to take you onto an alternative course that is less competitive instead.

If you don’t want to study the alternative course then don’t accept the offer
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You should speak to KCL on Monday to ask about this.

Generally this means that they have decided to reject you for IR. but instead of a total rejection they’re willing to take you onto an alternative course that is less competitive instead.

If you don’t want to study the alternative course then don’t accept the offer

Thank you for your quick reply, will do.
As above. King's do this a lot though their "alternative course" is usually straight History.
This is very common from top Unis - its kinder than just 'No', and as its a related course, its possible it may still interest you.
The alt. course will be one where they still have offers and no more applicants.
Original post by matteohaas
Hello everyone,

this might be a very straightforward thing, but I didn't find anything on the FAQ pages of UCAS or KCL, so maybe you can help me:

I applied for International Relations (BA) at KCL and then received an offer from KCL for War Studies and History (BA), without any explanation as to why they didn't accept me for IR or why my choice was "changed". Can anyone maybe help me understand what happened here? Thank you very much in advance!

This tactic is often mentioned by people on the Law forum - they apply for Law but get offered History or Politics or something else!
It’s for you to decide whether the course is appealing to you or not
Reply 6
Thank you all for your quick help, very much appreciated!
Have a nice weekend!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending