The Student Room Group

Uni of birmingham or Manchester

Hi guys, I've got offers to study Maths at both Manchester and Birmingham but I'm so confused between the 2 on which to firm. Please offer any inputs if you can help, thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Meenski76
Hi guys, I've got offers to study Maths at both Manchester and Birmingham but I'm so confused between the 2 on which to firm. Please offer any inputs if you can help, thank you.

Look at the course content for all 3 or 4 years of each course - which optional units would you choose - and why.
Look at the Campus Tour fims on YouTube - this will give you an idea of what each Uni looks like and 'feels' like.

General advice about choosing Firm and Insurance here - the 'writing it all down' task at the end is useful - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices
Original post by Meenski76

Hi @Meenski76,

Firstly, congrats on your offers! Sounds like you're in a great position, although I appreciate that it can be super tricky choosing where you want to study, especially if you haven't had the chance to visit campus yet.

I would agree with the comments about looking closely at the course content, take particular notice of any compulsory modules and how these fit in with your interests, is there an opportunity to choose optional modules or do an industrial placement?

It sounds like you're interested in moving to a big city for University. Birmingham is a great choice in this respect as we have all the benefits of city living with the added bonus of a beautiful green campus to enjoy. Birmingham will also be hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2022 which will be a huge boost for the city with lots of opportunities for students to get involved in volunteering and spectating. We are actually hosting the Hockey and Squash on campus which will be amazing and just goes to show how sought after our sports facilities are! :biggrin:

Finally, we have a current Maths student - Harri - who would be happy to answer any of your questions about studying Maths, so do drop him a message!

Hope this helps! - Molly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest