The Student Room Group

Psychology to nursing help urgent

Hi,
So I’m going to be graduating this year with a psychology degree but I really want to pursue paediatric nursing because that is what I initially applied for but never got on to but my heart is still with nursing. I know that universities do a nursing masters which is two years but the entry requirements state that the general nursing council require 800 hours of experience prior to starting, and as I’ve finished I’ve got plenty of time to get the experience. So should I put in my application and state that I am going to get experience prior to starting or will they not consider me. I am also applying for the course at the same uni I did my undergrad, so will I need to apply through ucas or is it possible for me to get in to contact with nursing team about putting in an internal application???

If anyone has been in the same boat please dm will help and guidance
Reply 1
Original post by Genomics3235
Hi,
So I’m going to be graduating this year with a psychology degree but I really want to pursue paediatric nursing because that is what I initially applied for but never got on to but my heart is still with nursing. I know that universities do a nursing masters which is two years but the entry requirements state that the general nursing council require 800 hours of experience prior to starting, and as I’ve finished I’ve got plenty of time to get the experience. So should I put in my application and state that I am going to get experience prior to starting or will they not consider me. I am also applying for the course at the same uni I did my undergrad, so will I need to apply through ucas or is it possible for me to get in to contact with nursing team about putting in an internal application???

If anyone has been in the same boat please dm will help and guidance

It's the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC), Not general nursing council... you've mixed it with the general medical council (GMC) which is doctors :smile:

Yes you will need to apply through UCAS.
Some universities do not require the hours of experience prior to starting for pre reg MSc/MNurs programmes, however they are few and far between as it's difficult to get all the practice and theory hours into 2 years. You won't necessarily get rejected outright for not having the experience - it may just be a condition of your offer that you have done so before starting. Just remember that 800 hours is about 3.5-4 months' full time work, so by the time you've got a job as a HCA and done the hours, you'd be looking to start your nursing degree next year (Jan/Feb/March intake at a push... but getting started in these roles can take a while so might have to be September next year!)
Original post by Emily_B
It's the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC), Not general nursing council... you've mixed it with the general medical council (GMC) which is doctors :smile:

Yes you will need to apply through UCAS.
Some universities do not require the hours of experience prior to starting for pre reg MSc/MNurs programmes, however they are few and far between as it's difficult to get all the practice and theory hours into 2 years. You won't necessarily get rejected outright for not having the experience - it may just be a condition of your offer that you have done so before starting. Just remember that 800 hours is about 3.5-4 months' full time work, so by the time you've got a job as a HCA and done the hours, you'd be looking to start your nursing degree next year (Jan/Feb/March intake at a push... but getting started in these roles can take a while so might have to be September next year!)

Thanks for replying, which universities don’t ask for experience, as I am looking to apply to ones in the north west of England
Reply 3
Thanks for replying, which universities don’t ask for experience, as I am looking to apply to ones in the north west of England

Without looking into it myself... no idea. It's definitely come up in conversation in threads on here, that's the only way I knew sorry.
Original post by Emily_B
Without looking into it myself... no idea. It's definitely come up in conversation in threads on here, that's the only way I knew sorry.

Thank you I just regret not going in to nursing and I just feel more focused and this is what I want now like I know I want to be a nurse

Hi
You can't just pick a university because you don't want to do any experience that is required for you to do degree in nursing as it is best to go and gain whatever experience that is required to allow you to do this okay as that way you'll be prepared for it to.

Doesn't matter if it is this year or next year or even following year as long as you go on and do this.

Why not apply for a HCA or even an auxiliary nurse position at your local hospital by applying through there NHS job website pages and hopefully you can get the hours that is required okay and then once you have got this start applying for a student nurse place at universities you want to goto and you'll be better prepared as well.
One thing is that you not gaunantee to get picked for nursing regardless as you need to show that you are worthy of a place on the course.
Thank you I just regret not going in to nursing and I just feel more focused and this is what I want now like I know I want to be a nurse

Be positive and stay focussed on what you wanting to do as don't give up on things.

Emily right on time you look & apply and get interviews arranged you'll be another few months probably before knowing anything and then time you get checks etc done by NMC you'll be looking at August or September at least for starting any jobs in NHS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending