ii
Last edited by safahJ; 2 months ago
username4218074
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by safahJ)
I am very interested about pursuing a career within investment banking from what i have learned however just wanted to know would have a degree in international business or a business related degree be enough to allow me to work at one of the top investment banking firms alongside having internships there which i hope to obtain. thank you
degree is irrelevant for most roles, what uni are you going to?
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes.
John Bull
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
not too sure yet, im in yr 12 so currently still researching. I'm looking at KCL, durham, Uni of leicester.
Forget Leicester
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Investment banking roles don't care what subject you studied, only if you studied at a target university.
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
not too sure yet, im in yr 12 so currently still researching. I'm looking at KCL, durham, Uni of leicester.
1) find out what investment banking actually is (not as well paid as you might think)
2) Get good grades and go to Oxbridge, LSE, imperial (though you can't for business), UCL or warwick. Durham and KCL ought to be back ups.
safahJ
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Levi.-)
1) find out what investment banking actually is (not as well paid as you might think)
2) Get good grades and go to Oxbridge, LSE, imperial (though you can't for business), UCL or warwick. Durham and KCL ought to be back ups.
yes thats the struggle that many of the prestigious uni dont offer business. also for economics i dont have maths to study at those universities. currently in business and economics im looking at an A * and for ancient history A maybe A*
John Bull
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Investment banking roles don't care what subject you studied, only if you studied at a target university.
Do you not think they prefer someone who studied economics instead of something soft like business management or international business? Or almost a non-factor
Last edited by John Bull; 2 months ago
anonuser99
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by John Bull)
Do you not think they prefer someone who studied economics instead of something soft like business management or international business? Or almost a non-factor
If you go to a target (and to an extent even a semi) and you're targeting any FO role except S&T and maybe economic/fixed income research, they don't care what you study.

The catch 22 is most targets or semis do not offer business degrees.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As above
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
target your top unis i.e. management at lse
anyIBers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah they generally prefer degrees that are more rigorous because it means you can cope with a higher workload. That being said going to a target still matters the most, classics at oxford >>>>> maths at nott trent
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by anyIBers)
Yeah they generally prefer degrees that are more rigorous because it means you can cope with a higher workload. That being said going to a target still matters the most, classics at oxford >>>>> maths at nott trent
true but then I'd argue that STEM at warwick>classics at oxford in terms of rigor. (to be fair it looks like recruitment is reflecting this) although JPM love their lateral thinkers from classics/arts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads