The Student Room Group

Nervous going away with work friends

So I'm going away in exactly 2 weeks with work friends, we've all gotten quite close so we've decided to go away to Newcastle for a weekend to celebrate one of my colleagues birthday. Were going to get drunk, explore Newcastle, drink... Etc.

I have multiple worries.

1. I've only been drunk once and I'm an extreme lightweight. So I'm very very nervous to get drunk or even really tipsy. But I know it will be good for me to get out cause I've never been out and I'm 19. I'm quite innocent 😂

2. I told my boyfriend a couple weeks back and a huge argument sparked off it saying he didn't trust me (he's insecure and overthinks but we sorted it! And he says he trusts me) I'm worried he's going to act all odd after the trip or another argument will spark out.

3. I do trust them all I do but I'm quite shy so I don't want to be left out...

I'm honestly just nervous about a lot of things a lot and I keep overthinking and worrying but I need to get out and enjoy myself! I know Newcastle can be.... Yeah. So I need tips for the city to be honest. Any tips for any of my problems/worries anyway!

Thanks a lot, I know I ranted away :smile:
Reply 1
Didn't you already post this a couple weeks back ?
Reply 2
Original post by JaseyB
Didn't you already post this a couple weeks back ?

Little strange how u remember 🤨 but I didn't get much help on that one so I just thought I'd post it again cause I was overthinking about it at work yesterday
Either a partner trusts you or there’s no point. I wouldn’t put up with overly jealous or needy behaviour and he needs to work on his insecurities.

Would it be possible to avoid drinking altogether? Being around obnoxious drunk people when you’re sober isn’t a lot of fun though.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Little strange how u remember 🤨 but I didn't get much help on that one so I just thought I'd post it again cause I was overthinking about it at work yesterday

Do you know yet which Newcastle you going to ? Newcastle Upon Tyne or Newcastle Under Lyme seeing as you are asking for tips for the city, I would suggest you find out which 1 you are going to then look up for places of interrest in that area.
Reply 5
Original post by JaseyB
Do you know yet which Newcastle you going to ? Newcastle Upon Tyne or Newcastle Under Lyme seeing as you are asking for tips for the city, I would suggest you find out which 1 you are going to then look up for places of interrest in that area.

I'm going to the area around the gate? Wherever that is I'm assuming Newcastle upon Tyne
Reply 6
I'm going to the area around the gate? Wherever that is I'm assuming Newcastle upon Tyne

Yeah I would say so as that area is known as Gateshead. I don't know much about that area other than the Angel Of the North might be worth a visit. I think there might be some cool bridges too if that's your thing ? As for the going out scene there I have no clue never been. But like I said previously you could always google it and see what others have to say about it.
Reply 7
Original post by JaseyB
Yeah I would say so as that area is known as Gateshead. I don't know much about that area other than the Angel Of the North might be worth a visit. I think there might be some cool bridges too if that's your thing ? As for the going out scene there I have no clue never been. But like I said previously you could always google it and see what others have to say about it.

Yeah thank you so much! I've been to the Angel of the North before
Yeah thank you so much! I've been to the Angel of the North before

Don't get drunk would be my advice - watch out for drink-spiking.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
Don't get drunk would be my advice - watch out for drink-spiking.

I'm only planning to get very tipsy so I still can actually think a bit not get drunk to the point I don't care what I'm doing! Or even forget the night.
I'm only planning to get very tipsy so I still can actually think a bit not get drunk to the point I don't care what I'm doing! Or even forget the night.

No I wouldn't ... stay sober
I don't know how well you know your colleagues. People often can behave very different outside of work, even more so under the influence of alcohol.

Do not allow them to peer pressure you into something stupid that would prove your bf right. Men are traditionally at lot more notorious for doing this to other guys. "Traditionally" being the pejorative word here. Women are catching up. Like I said, I don't know how well you know your colleagues or what they're like.

Maybe on this occasion just keep the alcohol intake under extra control. Best that you do not get drunk to the point where you "forget the night". That sounds like a really bad idea.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
It will be brilliant. Newcastle is a good city for going out I hear, you can have fun drinking without going over the top and get to know your colleagues better. Send you bf the odd text to let him know you’re still thinking of him and tell him you missed him when you get back. Gotta party!
This is a list of alternative options
Trip to a museum or zoo
Trip to see a good quality play or concert etc
Trip to do some shopping or to a restaurant
Picnic at a city park
Trip to a local library
Trip to the seaside
Trip to a stadium
Camping holiday
Caravan vacation
Day out at a recommended hotel for afternoon tea
Outing to the countryside for a picnic
A local cinema outing
Day in a theme park behind the scenes
Lunch out at a tearoom
Party at a pub or night club
Original post by Muttley79
No I wouldn't ... stay sober

Why?
Why?

This is the only way to make sure you don't drink too much ... you really don't know what work mates are like until you go out with them.
Like unless you’re in your own home town I certainly wouldn’t go somewhere I’ve never been with people I don’t really know……..personally I wouldn’t go or you’re better off taking your BF with you. And yeah I echo what other people say about drinking especially when you’re somewhere new. Maybe your BF is jealous or maybe he’s overly concerned in case something happens to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending