Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
The course is mechanical engineering
Original post by Harpy123
The course is mechanical engineering

Your not the OP.

But for mech eng: Southampton/Loughborough probably considered stronger.

In general id say Warwick is most prestigious then Southampton then Loughborough. Although how much weight does generalised prestige really carry...
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Your not the OP.

In general id say Warwick is most prestigious then Southampton then Loughborough. Although how much weight does generalised prestige really carry...

Yh I’m more interested in course ranking tbh so would it be Loughborough/Southampton over warwick?
Yh I’m more interested in course ranking tbh so would it be Loughborough/Southampton over warwick?

I wouldn’t follow rankings.

But I have a lot of experience with mech-eng and I consider Southampton & Loughborough as excellent departments, some of the best in the UK.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
I wouldn’t follow rankings.

But I have a lot of experience with mech-eng and I consider Southampton & Loughborough as excellent departments, some of the best in the UK.

Do you know of any clear differences between the 3?
Do you know of any clear differences between the 3?

Looking at the course modules online is probably the best way to differentiate. Both are very well regarded, Southampton I think probably has slightly wider number of applications but that’s only a guess because they have extensive mech eng research.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
Your not the OP.

Please can you expand on the part where u said ‘How much weight does generalised prestige really carry’
Reply 9
Please can you expand on the part where u said ‘How much weight does generalised prestige really carry’

It was a rhetorical question.

Well is their something to generally perceived prestige, in some things. If you want to work in finance/consulting/abroad then your university name matters a fair bit.

But for engineering careers, especially in the UK general prestige does not matter at all. The industry links, course quality & subject expertise are what are important (imo).
Original post by Lovely987
Which is the better uni between Warwick, Southampton and Loughborough

Hi @Lovely987,

Choose the place where you feel you would be happiest and also where the course appeals to you the most and would help you achieve your career goals. Loughborough is a campus university located on vast grounds and if you fancy a change of scene, Nottingham and Leicester are nearby. It's what appeals to you the most that's important. You have the option of undertaking a placement year for all of our undergraduate courses and our careers service will provide support and guidance along the way.

See what our students have to say about studying at Loughborough here. Good luck.
Bindu
Original post by mnot
Well is their something to generally perceived prestige, in some things. If you want to work in finance/consulting/abroad then your university name matters a fair bit.

But for engineering careers, especially in the UK general prestige does not matter at all. The industry links, course quality & subject expertise are what are important (imo).

Do you know about the community of the universities?
Do you know about the community of the universities?

I know graduates from all 3 unis. Everyone i know has enjoyed their time at the respective unis.

I would say Southampton probably has a bit more going on around it, just given its in the city, but Warwick & Loughborough are probably more reliant on what's happening on campus.
Hi,
As a current student at Southampton, I remember how many different factors there were to consider when applying for university!
Southampton has a beautiful campus and although in a smaller city, has loads of shops, restaurants, parks and good transport links.
It's great for research too, but most importantly for me, has fantastic support services like the 24/7 Student Life team who are there for any wellbeing issues and Enabling Services who can help with any additional support you may need to help you make the most out of your time at University.
Have you been to any Open Days at the universities as that really helped me decide personally?
Reply 15
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi,
As a current student at Southampton, I remember how many different factors there were to consider when applying for university!
Southampton has a beautiful campus and although in a smaller city, has loads of shops, restaurants, parks and good transport links.
It's great for research too, but most importantly for me, has fantastic support services like the 24/7 Student Life team who are there for any wellbeing issues and Enabling Services who can help with any additional support you may need to help you make the most out of your time at University.
Have you been to any Open Days at the universities as that really helped me decide personally?

Nah cos of Covid I haven’t really been to any live open days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending