The Student Room Group

Please give my article a read! : The types of Physics students you will meet!

Please lemme know if you like it!

Heres the link:

http://roarnews.co.uk/2021/the-types-of-physics-students-you-will-meet/
Reply 1
Original post by bored_user:)

Heres the link:

It's a nice article to read and I suppose it gives a unique insight from someone at KCL :smile:

What type of things would say the show-off type would say of those that do Biology (as you mentioned) or more specifically those that do medicine? Not hard to imagine what they have to say about engineering...
Original post by Butene
It's a nice article to read and I suppose it gives a unique insight from someone at KCL :smile:

What type of things would say the show-off type would say of those that do Biology (as you mentioned) or more specifically those that do medicine? Not hard to imagine what they have to say about engineering...

haha so true! Physics students in general put down Engineering students at every university tbh

Heres the link:

Ahh I read it, that looks great ! :biggrin:
I'd be no.12

Edit: Did you know that you can see your name at the top of the article!! I don't know if you mind. Just thought I'd let you know.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Qxi.xli
Ahh I read it, that looks great ! :biggrin:
I'd be no.12

Edit: Did you know that you can see your name at the top of the article!! I'm not sure if you don't mind. Just thought I'd let you know.

Hahahha thank you!!

And its fine lol. I dont mind, I think if you just google my name with KCL, youd find my articles and some more info on me. Its fine tbh :smile:
Hahahha thank you!!

And its fine lol. I dont mind, I think if you just google my name with KCL, youd find my articles and some more info on me. Its fine tbh :smile:

Oh ok, just wanted to make sure that you knew about that before you posted it on here :smile:
Original post by Qxi.xli
Oh ok, just wanted to make sure that you knew about that before you posted it on here :smile:

hahah thank you tho! Also, arent you applying to study Physics at uni? I remember speaking to you once. How is that going mate?
Reply 7
9. The one who uses LaTeX
Seriously? Why?

:colonhash:

It's not "the one who uses LaTeX", it's "the one who doesn't use LaTeX", you're a big boi at uni now so get with the times

Seriously imagine using Word for lab reports :yucky::yucky::yucky::yucky: I honed my TeX craft on the Study Help section here

I'm definitely the lazy one + experimental physicist, thanks to labs being the only thing I can get a decent mark in somehow.
(edited 2 years ago)
hahah thank you tho! Also, arent you applying to study Physics at uni? I remember speaking to you once. How is that going mate?

:smile: yess it's going alright thanks, I need to start drafting my personal statement since our first draft is due in a couple of weeks😭. So I've just been thinking about that.. x
Hahahha thank you!!

By the way what does the 9th one mean😭
Original post by Qxi.xli
:smile: yess it's going alright thanks, I need to start drafting my personal statement since our first draft is due in a couple of weeks😭. So I've just been thinking about that.. x

haha thats great! If you need any help with personal statements, choosing unis, internship applications etc. I wouldnt mind helping you out mate! :smile:
Original post by Qxi.xli
By the way what does the 9th one mean😭

hahahahha the explanation given below is perfect lol. Some people think that using Latex is a lot more professional and they look down on people who use Microsoft word to type up documents.
Original post by cactus11235813
LaTeX is a typesetting program, like Word, for people who have a superiority complex.

Spoiler

Original post by Sinnoh
:colonhash:

It's not "the one who uses LaTeX", it's "the one who doesn't use LaTeX", you're a big boi at uni now so get with the times

Seriously imagine using Word for lab reports :yucky::yucky::yucky::yucky: I honed my TeX craft on the Study Help section here

I'm definitely the lazy one + experimental physicist, thanks to labs being the only thing I can get a decent mark in somehow.

Lmao my editor proofread that and for some reason he couldnt spot that LOL. Btw, a friend of mine is a first year physics student at Imperial. He says you guys use it a lot there XD
haha thats great! If you need any help with personal statements, choosing unis, internship applications etc. I wouldnt mind helping you out mate! :smile:

hahahahha the explanation given below is perfect lol. Some people think that using Latex is a lot more professional and they look down on people who use Microsoft word to type up documents.

Ohh I see lmao

Thanks so much, I appreciate it.
Tbh I post all my questions on here as threads- the people on here are very useful :smile:
Original post by Qxi.xli
Ohh I see lmao

Thanks so much, I appreciate it.
Tbh I post all my questions on here as threads- the people on here are very useful :smile:

Oh thats great! :smile: I am glad! Yeah the people on here helped me a lot as well when I applied to uni but Im just saying that I got your back yk? haha :smile:
Oh thats great! :smile: I am glad! Yeah the people on here helped me a lot as well when I applied to uni but Im just saying that I got your back yk? haha :smile:

Aww thankss😊🤍
Reply 15
It was fun to read the article.

Just in case anyone did want to know the genuine reasons why LaTeX is used in academia:

It is stable. It can take a long time to open documents in MS Word. Nearly all raw .tex files are super fast to open and edit.

It is consistent. For large documents, MS Word can start producing inconsistent formatting.

It has a huge array of styles and formatting. MS Word is customizable but nowhere near as customizable as LaTeX.

It has support for vector graphics. MS Word and other Office applications only in the last few years received support for vector graphics. This is extremely important for high quality figures and schematics.

It has a complete set of symbols for mathematical equations. MS Word is limited to basic symbols.

It is completely free and runs on pretty much any operating system including arm based systems such as the Raspberry Pi. MS Word requires Windows or Mac.

There is extensive support for referencing in a range of different styles and formats. MS Word is limited and plugins such as EndNote cost money and are less functional.

Some journal papers have LaTeX templates so much of the learning curve is removed.

(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 0le
It was fun to read the article.

Just in case anyone did want to know the genuine reasons why LaTeX is used in academia:

It is stable. It can take a long time to open documents in MS Word. Nearly all raw .tex files are super fast to open and edit.

It is consistent. For large documents, MS Word can start producing inconsistent formatting.

It has a huge array of styles and formatting. MS Word is customizable but nowhere near as customizable as LaTeX.

It has support for vector graphics. MS Word and other Office applications only in the last few years received support for vector graphics. This is extremely important for high quality figures and schematics.

It has a complete set of symbols for mathematical equations. MS Word is limited to basic symbols.

It is completely free and runs on pretty much any operating system including arm based systems such as the Raspberry Pi. MS Word requires Windows or Mac.

There is extensive support for referencing in a range of different styles and formats. MS Word is limited and plugins such as EndNote cost money and are less functional.

Some journal papers have LaTeX templates so much of the learning curve is removed.

lol is it easy to learn?

Quick Reply

Latest