FlameSpirit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Every time I get a single bad grade, my mom would point out every single problem in my work and then force me to redo work two trimesters back. I'm sick of it because every single time my brother gets a bad grade, he would never get in trouble. I've never trusted my parents since I was 6 or 7 due to this sibling inequality. I don't trust any of my family anymore, and my friend recently started hanging out with some of my other friends and ignoring me. I'm worried that in the future, this could cause mental problems that I really don't want to have.
aaron2578
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
May I ask what academic year you are in?
snowball_cat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I’m currently in a similar situation to you so I can relate to how it feels.

I can’t give a lot of advice as I don’t really follow my own but with your friend it may be that they don’t realize they’re not hanging around you as much (maybe tell them or find ways to integrate yourself into the group more?) or you may need to find a new one. This is stressful but is actually possible. I essentially left my old friendship group after they ignored me during lockdown and now have a single friend.

With your family the most you can do right now is tell yourself you’re doing your best and try to get through to them through discussions. You’re human and part of learning is making mistakes. Einstein said that education wasn’t everything - even said it restricted the mind!

Maybe bring it up with your mom (without shouting, try a conversation though I know it’s hard) because forcing you to work 2 trimesters back is extra and is actually hindering your learning because your brain can only take in so much information, especially if you don’t want to. Too much and all you’ll get is a headache and poor mental health. Even if she’s worried and wants you succeed she’s actually doing the opposite. It may help to get some facts from a reliable source so she listens to what you’re saying.

Good luck and I hope things get better for you!
Last edited by snowball_cat; 2 months ago
FlameSpirit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by aaron2578)
May I ask what academic year you are in?
I'm in 7th grade Canada.
aaron2578
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by FlameSpirit)
I'm in 7th grade Canada.
I see. You'll have to just bear with it on your parents' side, and you can try to speak to them when you're older, maybe in grade 11 or 12. On your friends side, try to communicate with them and see if they accidentally ignored you, or if they don't want to be your friend. If the former is true, that is good; if the latter is true, then you should move on and try to make new friends. I don't know much about the Canadian system; are you going to a new school after junior high school or will you progress onto high school in the same school? If you're going somewhere new, that would be a good opportunity to meet new people in case your current friend doesn't want to be your friend anymore. About your grades, be hopeful and work hard; I have an autistic friend (UK) who is very bad at arithmetic due to his autism and so he got low grades in primary school, but once he entered high school he was very good at the harder concepts such as algebra. He is now known for being very good at maths. So be hopeful that similar things might happen to you, but remember that doesn't mean you don't have to work hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (16)
6.2%
Uncertainty around my education (29)
11.24%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (30)
11.63%
Lack of purpose or motivation (38)
14.73%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (15)
5.81%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (9)
3.49%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (24)
9.3%
Financial worries (17)
6.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (9)
3.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (17)
6.59%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (30)
11.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (18)
6.98%

Watched Threads