The Student Room Group

URGENT ANSWER NEEDED GCSE Physics

A student investigated how the mass of water in an electric kettle affected the time taken for the water to reach boiling point. the kettle switched off when the water reached boiling point. figure 4 shows the kettle. the power of the kettle was 2.6kW the kettle took 120 seconds to heat 0.80kg of water from 18°c to 100°c calculate the specific heat capacity of water using this information give your answer to two decimal place
Reply 1
What is the formula to calculate specific heat capacity?
Reply 2
@what'sgoingon. please remove your solution. The whole point was to get the OP to answer...
Sorry, I didn't realise!
Original post by 0le
@what'sgoingon. please remove your solution. The whole point was to get the OP to answer...
Original post by 0le

??? whyndo they have to remove it
Reply 5
Original post by emmacorreia_
??? whyndo they have to remove it

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6736138

This is not a homework service. Someone has given you the solution which means you may now not learn as much as you could have, had you gone through the steps yourself.
A student investigated how the mass of water in an electric kettle affected the time taken for the water to reach boiling point. the kettle switched off when the water reached boiling point. figure 4 shows the kettle. the power of the kettle was 2.6kW the kettle took 120 seconds to heat 0.80kg of water from 18°c to 100°c calculate the specific heat capacity of water using this information give your answer to two decimal place

hi love I won't give you the answer but you need to use the specific heat capacity equation and possibly the power= energy transferred divided by time

also as an added tip remember to convert the kW into Watts when doing the equation
Original post by 0le
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6736138

This is not a homework service. Someone has given you the solution which means you may now not learn as much as you could have, had you gone through the steps yourself.

That’s why I have put it on here because I have no ideas how to do it. It’s a question from a past paper I can’t find the answers for and I wanted to know the answer so I know how to do it for my exam on Monday
Reply 8
That’s why I have put it on here because I have no ideas how to do it. It’s a question from a past paper I can’t find the answers for and I wanted to know the answer so I know how to do it for my exam on Monday

Well good luck for your exam, but it does not detract from the point that posting full solutions straight away is against the guidelines.
(edited 2 years ago)
Convert power into energy (mind the kW) then use that to calculate the Specific Heat Capacity using the formula.
Original post by 0le
Well good luck for your exam, but it does not detract from the point that posting full solutions straight away is against the guidelines.

Hi, I think that should be made more clear as I'm new on the student room and I didn't know about that rule.
Original post by what'sgoingon.
Hi, I think that should be made more clear as I'm new on the student room and I didn't know about that rule.

tbh I don't ever remember it being one... but I haven't been here all that long either so maybe I'm wrong ahaha
Exactly I thought I could ask someone for help because I can’t find the answers online and someone on here could tell me the answer. This really is not made clear

Quick Reply

Latest