hello
Last edited by Antimatter158; 1 month ago
Tracey_W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Antimatter158)
hello , can someone check my supporting info for a hca job band 2 and inform me if any improvements can be made. THANKS

I am applying to the NHS with the intent of acquiring a role as a healthcare assistant at King's College Hospital-Denmark Hill. The eagerness to grasp this role was a result of several reasons, mainly being my sister, a final year nursing student also at Kings College-Guy's and ST Thomas’, who also actively takes the role of healthcare assistant alongside her degree. My sister would inform me of her duties and responsibilities she would do during her shift that would range from her monitoring and recording patients’ clinical observations, taking blood samples and mainly assisting patients with daily activities. As a person who has been intrigued by the value of science as well as being curious and constantly hungry to learn science from a young age where I would constantly learn and watch science videos allowing me to broaden my knowledge, this made me figure out this role was best suited for me. After having completed A levels in Biology and Chemistry in a matter of 2 months whilst working a part time job and achieving grades of BB has granted me numerous skills. These range from multi-tasking, having to juggle two subjects, stress-management where I would have to learn an incredible amount of content whilst trying to retain the knowledge and much more.
Having taken the time to read the job description, I am fully aware that I have the skills and qualities to meet the standards of the NHS. With respect to the evidence that follows, I firmly believe I can make a positive contribution to the NHS team and hold the value that all must adhere in their daily work. I am applying to this role because I believe my experiences and skills would make me a perfect candidate. I am seeking employment with an organisation who have a proud history of hard work and commitment and want to work alongside similar minded people who all strive for one goal.
With my excellent concentration skills, I can work in distressing situations whilst maintaining a resilient mind, also I am able to embrace any change in order to maintain the NHS's high standard of service. There are numerous skills that will allow me to benefit the organisation. I am a hard worker that enjoys working as a team in order to accomplish one goal. I can be trusted with confidential information and firmly believe everyone should receive the same treatment hence why I am compassionate and committed who will work hard to learn the role quickly and carry out my role with professionalism.
Having experience in a pharmacy and GP allowed me to pick up essential skills such as communication skills, where I would directly respond to customer queries, another skill was attention to detail , picked up where I would check incoming stock against delivery invoices for medication causing me to be accurate and concise, and finally learnt many IT skills where I would have to make request for patient medication and much more. Having gone to a chemistry summer school for a week at Kings College where I made artificial sunscreens was where my teamwork skills really appeared. This was clear of when me and my partner had to work together to make an effective method and carry out the experiment together. The content we were learning was new to us but with critical thinking we used our current knowledge to continue ahead.
My current position as a sales assistant and having over a years’ experience has been eye-opening for me. This is mainly because of how much of a great deal of skills I have mastered and learnt through out. These are teamwork skills, this was seen during the seasons of busy hours where I would have to work efficiently with my team in order to maximise and sustain customer satisfaction. Another prized skill I picked up is patience, which is seen where I would have to deal with customers not being happy and arguing and I would have to listen to all their concerns and issues whilst remaining calm. This allowed me put customers first representing the organisation in a positive manner, these transferrable skills would allow to me offer a first-class service to NHS patients. Throughout the journey I have seen all types of people, something very vital and invaluable for a role as a healthcare assistant making me the ideal candidate. I am now able to manage and handle distressing and sensitive situations with minimal stress, work efficiently using logical and critical thinking, work on my own using a guided path, more compassionate and focused on a task.
What sets me apart from others is I am solely focused on meeting the values of the healthcare trust. I see the core values of working together and always aiming higher with respect and dignity. What also sets me apart is I am a quick learner and able to pick up and learn the role quickly, handle stressful situations cautiously and work effectively with my team to reach one goal.
Emily_B have you any further advise on this !!!

Firstly don't publish anything like this here as somebody could easily copy it and use it for same job as yourself.

Best to ask for advise on this or ask if somebody could do it as a PM message.

I'm a NHS midwife in Scotland okay,

So thing is they not wanting to know personally information like your sister working etc there ok. ( you can always bring that up at a I interview ).

I get you can use her as a motivation of applying for this job as HCA band 2.
Suggest to try to put things in paragraphs instead of cramped up as present and breakdown things more like experience, education, skills you got for role etc into separate paragraphs okay.

Ask your sister for hints what to do.
You are trying to obviously be best of the rest of applicants so need to make sure it sticks out.

If you can PM message me on this I will do best to assist you.
Last edited by Tracey_W; 2 months ago
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm a nurse in northwest England and I definitely agree with what Tracey_W has said.
There's quite a lot of things to improve on here.

I am applying to the NHS with the intent of acquiring a role as a healthcare assistant at King's College Hospital-Denmark Hill.
Surely they already know this, seeing as that's the job you're applying for?!

The eagerness to grasp this role was a result of several reasons, mainly being my sister, a final year nursing student also at Kings College-Guy's and ST Thomas’, who also actively takes the role of healthcare assistant alongside her degree. My sister would inform me of her duties and responsibilities she would do during her shift that would range from her monitoring and recording patients’ clinical observations, taking blood samples and mainly assisting patients with daily activities. As a person who has been intrigued by the value of science as well as being curious and constantly hungry to learn science from a young age where I would constantly learn and watch science videos allowing me to broaden my knowledge, this made me figure out this role was best suited for me. After having completed A levels in Biology and Chemistry in a matter of 2 months whilst working a part time job and achieving grades of BB has granted me numerous skills. These range from multi-tasking, having to juggle two subjects, stress-management where I would have to learn an incredible amount of content whilst trying to retain the knowledge and much more.
You can split this paragraph up a bit, there's lots of different threads here.
- Your sister has been your inspiration for working for the NHS, her passion for her degree/HCA role has helped you decide what you'd like to do for work. You don't need to go into what your sister does at work.
- Your interest in science - what about working with people as well?
- Juggling 2 A levels and a part time job & the time management as well as stress management

Having taken the time to read the job description, I am fully aware that I have the skills and qualities to meet the standards of the NHS. With respect to the evidence that follows, I firmly believe I can make a positive contribution to the NHS team and hold the value that all must adhere in their daily work. I am applying to this role because I believe my experiences and skills would make me a perfect candidate. I am seeking employment with an organisation who have a proud history of hard work and commitment and want to work alongside similar minded people who all strive for one goal.
With my excellent concentration skills, I can work in distressing situations whilst maintaining a resilient mind, also I am able to embrace any change in order to maintain the NHS's high standard of service. There are numerous skills that will allow me to benefit the organisation. I am a hard worker that enjoys working as a team in order to accomplish one goal. I can be trusted with confidential information and firmly believe everyone should receive the same treatment hence why I am compassionate and committed who will work hard to learn the role quickly and carry out my role with professionalism.
This is too long winded and wordy. You may be fully aware that you think you have the skills and qualities of an NHS worker - stating outright that you have sounds a little big-headed.
You need to discuss what qualities/skills/experience you have that meet the requirements of the job description.

Having experience in a pharmacy and GP allowed me to pick up essential skills such as communication skills, where I would directly respond to customer queries, another skill was attention to detail , picked up where I would check incoming stock against delivery invoices for medication causing me to be accurate and concise, and finally learnt many IT skills where I would have to make request for patient medication and much more. Having gone to a chemistry summer school for a week at Kings College where I made artificial sunscreens was where my teamwork skills really appeared. This was clear of when me and my partner had to work together to make an effective method and carry out the experiment together. The content we were learning was new to us but with critical thinking we used our current knowledge to continue ahead.
My current position as a sales assistant and having over a years’ experience has been eye-opening for me. This is mainly because of how much of a great deal of skills I have mastered and learnt through out. These are teamwork skills, this was seen during the seasons of busy hours where I would have to work efficiently with my team in order to maximise and sustain customer satisfaction. Another prized skill I picked up is patience, which is seen where I would have to deal with customers not being happy and arguing and I would have to listen to all their concerns and issues whilst remaining calm. This allowed me put customers first representing the organisation in a positive manner, these transferrable skills would allow to me offer a first-class service to NHS patients. Throughout the journey I have seen all types of people, something very vital and invaluable for a role as a healthcare assistant making me the ideal candidate. I am now able to manage and handle distressing and sensitive situations with minimal stress, work efficiently using logical and critical thinking, work on my own using a guided path, more compassionate and focused on a task.
Great! Maybe use working in a pharmacy as part of your inspiration to work in healthcare and wanting to better yourself by moving on and working at King's. You can also get teamwork and communication in here.
The chemistry summer school needs to be a separate paragraph to the pharmacy work one.

What sets me apart from others is I am solely focused on meeting the values of the healthcare trust. I see the core values of working together and always aiming higher with respect and dignity. What also sets me apart is I am a quick learner and able to pick up and learn the role quickly, handle stressful situations cautiously and work effectively with my team to reach one goal.
How are you going to show dignity and respect to your patients?

Feel free to message either Tracey or myself for further assistance with this.
Tracey_W
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
I'm a nurse in northwest England and I definitely agree with what Tracey_W has said.
There's quite a lot of things to improve on here.

Surely they already know this, seeing as that's the job you're applying for?!

You can split this paragraph up a bit, there's lots of different threads here.
- Your sister has been your inspiration for working for the NHS, her passion for her degree/HCA role has helped you decide what you'd like to do for work. You don't need to go into what your sister does at work.
- Your interest in science - what about working with people as well?
- Juggling 2 A levels and a part time job & the time management as well as stress management

This is too long winded and wordy. You may be fully aware that you think you have the skills and qualities of an NHS worker - stating outright that you have sounds a little big-headed.
You need to discuss what qualities/skills/experience you have that meet the requirements of the job description.

Great! Maybe use working in a pharmacy as part of your inspiration to work in healthcare and wanting to better yourself by moving on and working at King's. You can also get teamwork and communication in here.
The chemistry summer school needs to be a separate paragraph to the pharmacy work one.

How are you going to show dignity and respect to your patients?

Feel free to message either Tracey or myself for further assistance with this.
Emily_B Emily, I couldn't make head or tail on it but got drift because of too cramped together and lots of personal things that not necessary I think.

Breaking it down into smaller paragraphs will defo help her, and explaining things more detail as well.

Yep she welcome to PM message me or yourself for further assistance on it.

And she needs to learn not to duplicate threads either.
Antimatter158
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Emily_B Emily, I couldn't make head or tail on it but got drift because of too cramped together and lots of personal things that not necessary I think.

Breaking it down into smaller paragraphs will defo help her, and explaining things more detail as well.

Yep she welcome to PM message me or yourself for further assistance on it.

And she needs to learn not to duplicate threads either.
thx for help guys, i've got the interview but i didn't even check for your replys till now . LOOOL
Bluey69
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My approach to job applications is to take every element in the essential and desirable criteria out of the Person Specification, be it 5, 10 or 15 points that cover the skills, experience and qualifications they are seeking from the candidate. It's usually quite explicit.

I put these as separate headers in the order they appear in the JD.

Under each header, I write a sentence or two, or short paragraph that succinctly proves that I have met each one. I outline the specific and relevant skill, qualification or experience for each element that the employer is seeking.

You can always add an introductory paragraph that gives an overview of your career history and motivation for applying, reflecting back the language and concepts used in the Job Description.

Following the structure of the PS and sticking closely to the JD makes it easier for the candidate to be sure that they've provided evidence of the competencies required. It makes it easier for the Manager or HR to sift candidates as they will work through a checklist seeing what has or hasn't been met, possibly scoring it.

Many employers provide guidance in how to complete the application.
Olivia1870
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys,
Just got a question as I'm currently applying for healthcare positions and struggling to even get interview! It's a bit frustrating as I do not have any clinical experience just retail jobs for the past 5 years. How can I prove that I'm capable for this kind of job?
Bluey69
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Olivia1870)
Hi guys,
Just got a question as I'm currently applying for healthcare positions and struggling to even get interview! It's a bit frustrating as I do not have any clinical experience just retail jobs for the past 5 years. How can I prove that I'm capable for this kind of job?
Could you gain any relevant voluntary experience supporting vulnerable people? My local hospital has a volunteering service though perhaps its currently suspended, plus there are charities that work with people with physical, mental ill-health, etc.

Could you gain any relevant qualifications? I recently completed a completely free online course, Level 3 Understanding Mental health and there were lots of free Level 2 and Level 3 qualifications related to social support or health that were also offered for free.

Has anybody you know with relevant experience, manager or HR person, looked over your applications? I did this once for a friend and was shocked how she failed to address essential requirements of the role in her supporting statement. I've helped temps at my current place of work secure interviews by providing advice how to complete their applications.

Is it only NHS healthcare positions that you are applying for? A former colleague recently got one in a local hospital after a background in admin but she had gained 6 months experience prior to this in a residential care home for the elderly where she learned all about personal and social care, codes of conduct etc.
Olivia1870
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bluey69)
Could you gain any relevant voluntary experience supporting vulnerable people? My local hospital has a volunteering service though perhaps its currently suspended, plus there are charities that work with people with physical, mental ill-health, etc.

Could you gain any relevant qualifications? I recently completed a completely free online course, Level 3 Understanding Mental health and there were lots of free Level 2 and Level 3 qualifications related to social support or health that were also offered for free.

Has anybody you know with relevant experience, manager or HR person, looked over your applications? I did this once for a friend and was shocked how she failed to address essential requirements of the role in her supporting statement. I've helped temps at my current place of work secure interviews by providing advice how to complete their applications.

Is it only NHS healthcare positions that you are applying for? A former colleague recently got one in a local hospital after a background in admin but she had gained 6 months experience prior to this in a residential care home for the elderly where she learned all about personal and social care, codes of conduct etc.
Well I have few hours on the SAM responder app, virtual work experience from surrey hospitals (10 hours I think) and I have sign up for volunteering in a hospice last year but due to covid they have not took me in for introduction yet so I can't start it yet. And also I did a whole training for covid vaccination but i did not volunteer for any of them yet so I did not feel like I should put it in there.
I do actually hold a degree in biomedical science just waiting for my final grades. And I was actually looking into completing some additional course to make my application better however I do not know where to start to be honest. Is there any course that I could complete (even paid ones) that would increase my chances of getting in?
I have few people look over my application and actually just got feedback back from NHS recruiters why my application failed and they said that I should focus on how I would apply my transferable skills to the job specification and also how would I apply my studies in both college and university.
At the moment I focusing on healthcare assistant and case worker positions. What do you recon is the perfect word limit? As what it states in the application seems long and feels like they would not even have time to read it properly. That's why I keep mine sweet and short but it seems like I would need to provide some sort of evidence to them that I can do the job??
Last edited by Olivia1870; 1 month ago
Tracey_W
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys,
Hi Olivia x

Don't panic as you don't necessary require experience for a HCA job as all training will be provided if successful but if you had any it would be an advantage to you.
I'm from retail background myself as work in it all my days and I went to university in 2016 for to do midwifing and I qualified in 2019, I obviously still worked in retail throughout it part-time and it didn't affect me. I will say I had pyshology degree but never worked in sector on completion of it.

You show them you are capable by answering questions they asking, then ask things back.
If you can apply for other jobs like MCA, auxiliary nursing ( defo no experience for this ) and you'll gain experience working alongside qualified nurses and use this for any future application you may want do for likes of nursing degree,

Due to covid19 lots of things changed over night with mass suspension of non necessary positions and as things starts to restart then there's possibilities of these jobs etc coming up again including volunteering on hospital wards via writing to hospital on it.
Olivia1870
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Hi Olivia x

Don't panic as you don't necessary require experience for a HCA job as all training will be provided if successful but if you had any it would be an advantage to you.
I'm from retail background myself as work in it all my days and I went to university in 2016 for to do midwifing and I qualified in 2019, I obviously still worked in retail throughout it part-time and it didn't affect me. I will say I had pyshology degree but never worked in sector on completion of it.

You show them you are capable by answering questions they asking, then ask things back.
If you can apply for other jobs like MCA, auxiliary nursing ( defo no experience for this ) and you'll gain experience working alongside qualified nurses and use this for any future application you may want do for likes of nursing degree,

Due to covid19 lots of things changed over night with mass suspension of non necessary positions and as things starts to restart then there's possibilities of these jobs etc coming up again including volunteering on hospital wards via writing to hospital on it.
Thanks Tracey! xx
Yh I know it does say that the experience is desirable which I think makes it hard as they would more likely pick a person with experience than me lol. I did search for MCA jobs around me but unfortunately nothing. I have worked a lot on my supporting information for the past few days and I'm looking to get opinion from someone working in that sector already. Would you mind if I would send it to you privately and if you got a minute you can give me your honest opinion?
Tracey_W
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks Tracey! xx
Yh I know it does say that the experience is desirable which I think makes it hard as they would more likely pick a person with experience than me lol. I did search for MCA jobs around me but unfortunately nothing. I have worked a lot on my supporting information for the past few days and I'm looking to get opinion from someone working in that sector already. Would you mind if I would send it to you privately and if you got a minute you can give me your honest opinion?
Hi Olivia xx

No probs as I'm here to help people the best I can okay xx

Yes all jobs may state experience is desirable but not always necessary ok, you are right about they will pick somebody with more experience than yourself but also they could pick you if you show them you have what's necessary for the job as I gaunantee experience counts for nothing but helpful.

How about auxiliary nurse post as it usually band 2 post which is still better than nothing and you will be aside a qualified nurse at all times learning nursing skills you wanting x
Yep MCA jobs are at minimum on each maternity unit and I would still keep a eye on these incase they come available.

I don't have issues you posting it on a PM message to me as I will give it a look over and give my opinion on it okay. Xx
Tracey xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.81%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
57.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.25%

Watched Threads